Ice out! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ice out!

jfbasser
01-22-2003, 06:40 PM
Remember folks that over 50 years of record keeping has shown that ice out has never occured later than March 23rd on the Charles River basin. That's 60 days away. Spring is on the way:D

Penguin
01-22-2003, 07:35 PM
You'll be able to drive to the FarSide (of the Canal) without the aid of those silly bridges!
The first flyfishingshow has come and gone...a sure harbinger of Spring!
The daze are getting longer!
I've been getting seed catalogues...
Next comes the WilmingtonShow and the casting clave...
Spring can't happen TOO SOON!

MarkDoogue
01-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Drove by Black's Creek on Quincy Bay and was greeted by the site of frozen ocean!! :eek:

That's when you know it's cold. The outflow from the estuary had managed to form a small break in the ice as the tide dropped. I'll take a picture tomorrow to post on the board. It just looked cold, cold, cold when I gazed across the wind driven white caps.

pmflyfisher
01-22-2003, 07:48 PM
fyi

Its going below zero here tonight and its coming your way!

High of 5 degrees tomorrows with wind chills well below zero.

Please no more spring messages for two months or so.

:D

removed_by_request
01-22-2003, 09:32 PM
I just love Chicago winters. It's nature's reality check.

FishHawk
01-23-2003, 05:51 AM
Maybe we can ice fish for stripers. Winter Clave?
FishHawk:devil:

FredA
01-23-2003, 07:16 AM
It's gonna be nice and sun shiny today. Who wants to blow off work this afternoon and go down to Scortons and molest holdovers?

DFix
01-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by FredA
It's gonna be nice and sun shiny today. Who wants to blow off work this afternoon and go down to Scortons and molest holdovers?

Not without ECWCS issue gear, breathable insulated waders, and guarantee of Hazardous Duty pay:whoa:

Penguin
01-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Don't be touchin' the flagpole at the CG station with you tongue!:hehe:

DFix
01-23-2003, 10:19 AM
jf -

The Basin is a false-positive, IMO, where it faces West anyway, collects all that sun and surrounding reflected heat. It's just now frozen over at the train bridge and not by much at that. However, I'm rooting for spring, too ! :smokin:

OC
01-23-2003, 12:19 PM
As a kid I remember seeing pictures from the turn of the last century of Quincy Bay and Boston Harbor completely frozen over. On the ice were horse drawn sleds with commercial fishermen ice fishing for Cod fish. Also there were sleds taking coal back and forth between Weymouth and Quincy so you know the ice was thick.

I'm not sure it was all that much colder then to have that happen more than it does now when you have a cold winter. Maybe all the dredging of channels that has taken place over the years helps keep the bays from freezing over like long ago.

Also the fact that they were fishing Cod tells you that things have changed. I remember fishing with my uncle just inside Hull Gut in February or early March jigging for Cod as they came in from deep water to Spawn. I wonder with the Cod situation as it is if any at all still come into the local bays to spawn.

With all this cold weather you East coasters are gettin Spring will look mighty fine. Before you know it the crocus will flower then those bright yellow daffodils and that means fish can't be far behind.

Dress warm and enjoy the sunshine that usually comes with cold, cold weather.

jfbasser
01-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Back in the dayz when I ran with a crowd that fished for largemouth bass and we had this much cold we ran off with our Rangers in tow for the 24 hour trip to chase those Florida strains. Anyone up for a trip to Elephant Butte Reservoir in New Mexico to chase some winter linesiders? Good Mexican food too!:D

John Desjardins
01-23-2003, 01:40 PM
OC, give it a few more days as this news release from today says .

The MBTA has suspended commuter ferry service between Boston's Long Wharf and the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy because of ice build-up under the Fore River Bridge.

Last night it was almost painfull to walk the dog. Wonder what tonight will be like. :(

fredaevans
01-23-2003, 02:07 PM
65 degrees yesterday; 62 the day before. Showers predicted for today so only going to the upper 50's.:razz:

fae

OC
01-23-2003, 02:22 PM
John,

Thanks for the update. I always take the ferry from Logan to the ship yard when I come to visit. In summer it's always my way of spotting stripers very first thing. In winter it's a chance to check out the beauty and bleakness of the many Islands in the Bays and wonder how hard and cold life must of been when people did live year round on those Islands.

Guess if I have to come soon I'll just bring my skates, stick and a puck and hope for a NE wind to get me home.

By the way I had mentioned about those Cod fish near Hull in late winter and spring. I know we are all fly fishermen but I know some great places from shore at low tide in Quincy bay where they were once caught often. These fish hold at low tide in deep holes off of some points. Most would be in the 3 to 5 pound range but have watched some over 20 lbs caught. All you need is a surf rod, sinkers and sea clams. I remember it was a great way to spend a sunny weekend afternoon out on the mussel beds watching the migrotory birds fly by and just enjoying being out side. I'm sure there are still some Cod left that come into spawn. If anyone out your way wants some directions to those spots just PM me. My dad says he only sees a few of the old timers doing it anymore.

John Desjardins
01-23-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by fredaevans
65 degrees yesterday; 62 the day before. Showers predicted for today so only going to the upper 50's.:razz:

fae

Carefull Fred, Your bank has some really cold branch locations. You wouldn't want someone to send a note like:

I hereby request a transfer to the Fairbanks Alaska branch... :devil: :razz:

(and its colder there than here)

OC, the Boston harbor is one area that I'm ashamed to not know more about. It can be beautiful in the summer but I wouldn't to be out there today.

DFix
01-23-2003, 03:29 PM
Gee, don't we have somebody around who can hack their HR files and download the req - then all that'd be left was the screamin' and shoutin' (screw with us, eh?):razz: :chuckle:

MarkDoogue
01-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Juro, how do you post pics in your M-D-J posts?

I froze my backside off taking pictures of Quincy Bay, now one large hockey rink, and I'd like to post the image.

fredaevans
01-23-2003, 07:07 PM
does have offices in Alaska. Burrrrrrrrr:eyecrazy:
fae

Quentin
01-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Key Bank? Sounds like it should be at the southern tip of Florida! :hehe:

Back when I lived in Maryland we had a frigid winter (1989?) and the Chesapeake Bay was frozen over all the way down to the Bay Bridge! Of course, the bay isn't quite as salty as the ocean and is pretty shallow so maybe that's not too uncommon.

Q

juro
01-23-2003, 08:36 PM
Those are not attachments, but links to existing pictures on a web server. If you have a pic on a server somewhere, you just use the [IMG] tags and the URL.

[i]Originally posted by MarkDoogue
Juro, how do you post pics in your M-D-J posts?

I froze my backside off taking pictures of Quincy Bay, now one large hockey rink, and I'd like to post the image.

striblue
01-23-2003, 10:08 PM
John... Thanks for the reminder...why just tonight I was ironing all my shorts..getting them ready..... You know..you need to look good too..Right? Hate wrinkled shorts... I don't feel good in them.. well, anyway... ;) But atleast I don't iron my underwear like...ah...ah... someone with the initials of DF.:devil:

Penguin
01-23-2003, 10:41 PM
The quickest way to get from the Bridge Street Marina to the Morris Island Cauzzzway...drive across the frozen harbour really FAST, not slowing to better hear the cracking noises of the ice below nor to enjoy the wonderful arctic view of a winter gone mad!:whoa:

MarkDoogue
01-23-2003, 10:59 PM
http://images.andale.com/f2/112/121/10654987/1043380588579_quincybay_frozen1.jpg

MarkDoogue
01-23-2003, 11:00 PM
http://images.andale.com/f2/112/121/10654987/1043380587910_quincybay_frozen2.jpg

MarkDoogue
01-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Hopefully this pic of Chatham will warm you all up.......

http://images.andale.com/f2/112/121/10654987/1043381396626_Chatham_Light.jpg

striblue
01-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Doogue... I see a person on the point and three others just nearer the bowl... do you know who they are?... did you head out that day?

Adrian
01-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Hmmm thinking of warmer locales ......

http://www.avsharp.com/exuma2002/c15.jpg

MarkDoogue
01-24-2003, 12:04 AM
....perhaps this will jog your memory.:D

I never ventured out in that direction, obviously.

http://images.andale.com/f2/112/121/10654987/1043384523891_clave_group_jpg.jpg

Penguin
01-24-2003, 12:05 AM
of Steamboat Springs quality champaign powder...and still falling...

Did somebody say "Miami Boat Show"?!:razz:

ps
FYI That last RipTripRatPack frozen snippet of time was taken by the Right Honourable Jim Doogue and the hefty black bag in the foreground was loaded with "group goodies" packed by everbodys' favorite Shirley Doogue...WHAT A GREAT FAMILY!!!

MarkDoogue
01-24-2003, 12:08 AM
By the way, the negatives for this image ara MIA. If I can manage to find them I owe you one for CAC Striblue.

I think I could probably swing one for YAC as well.

DFix
01-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Great way to help fight off the frigids, Mark - thankxxxxxxxxxxxx :)

Also, you said negatives were MIA - those are prints; not digital images? that pic of the point and bowl needs to hang on somebody's wall (please! :D ) .

Adrian, that pic was just MEAN, man - truly cruel!!! :)

Striblue - Ahem....harrumpf....

Ascots make excellent dishrags, remember :whoa:

pmflyfisher
01-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Brrr.... glad I moved from that frigid east coast 23 years ago.

It is warming up here in GLs and will be a toasty 28 degrees by Sunday, guess I will be wearing my shorts for the super bowl party Sunday afternoon.

:D

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-cold,1,5958138.story?coll=chi%2Dhomepagenews%2Dutl

OC
01-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Wow! Boston Harba made the local news out here in Seattle. Showed some ice breakas opening up some wata for the commutar boats and most importantly fuel oil tankars. You pay enough back there for oil to heat your homes this will be another excuse to raise prices, too much Ice.

jfbasser
01-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Frozen Sebago Lake surprises wardens

'Best ice in years' reported at Moosehead
So how cold is it? Cold enough for Sebago Lake in southern Maine to freeze in January, something that hasn't happened in memory, according to a spokesman for the Maine Warden Service."That's unheard of," said Mark Latti, who reports that state wardens and biologists all are saying the same thing: It has been one long, cold month, even by Maine standards.
Sebago Lake near Windham, Maine's second-largest lake, "usually won't freeze until February," Latti said Thursday, "but there's already 5 inches of ice."
Unlike the state's largest lake, Moosehead in Greenville, Sebago Lake often doesn't freeze at all because it's so deep, according to Maine Warden Service Lt. Pat Dorian.
Dorian, who once patrolled Sebago but now is stationed in Greenville, said Moosehead is frozen over and offers "the best ice we've had in years up here."
Meanwhile, harbor masters along the Maine coast report typical conditions for the month, as coves and inlets freeze around the edges and residents have a tough time remembering that summer tourists will be flocking to the coast in swimsuits and sandals in a few months.
"It's got to be bad down here to freeze this one up," said Harbor Master Dale Torrey. "That's why they call it Winter Harbor."
Harbor Master Will Boddy, who was trying to stay warm Thursday in Northeast Harbor, agreed that the ocean's edge is beginning to freeze, but he said there wasn't anything unusual about it.
Boddy said a good stiff wind will help keep the water open, and the places where fresh water meets salt water are particularly susceptible to freezing.
"It's warming up," Boddy said. "It's all the way up to 14 degrees."
The U.S. Coast Guard reported Thursday that the ice on the Penobscot River near the Interstate 395 bridge connecting Bangor and Brewer is 12 to 14 inches deep. The 65-foot cutter Bridle has been keeping the channel open, according to Officer Pat Vanzura of Group Southwest Harbor, but he couldn't say whether the ice is deeper than usual.
The Warden Service's Latti said ice depths can fluctuate even within the same body of water, so keeping records is difficult. He said the Warden Service continues to urge winter enthusiasts to drill a hole in the ice to measure the depth before snowmobiling or setting up ice-fishing shacks.
Latti said people should always let someone know where they're going and when to expect them back so rescuers can find them in the event of an emergency.
"If you've been on the ice all day and get back to your car and it won't start, it could be an extremely cold and dangerous night," he said.

MarkDoogue
01-24-2003, 02:23 PM
The Chatham image and the Clave group image are both on APS film.

Why can't I find them? DRAT!!!!

jfbasser
01-24-2003, 02:54 PM
By the way the Longfellow Bridge runs due east/west (a fact). which means the Basin is more or less North/South.. IMHO...from someone who commutes to Cambridge every day and sailed the River for many years.

John Desjardins
01-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Enough wallowing in the negativity of winter lets look at the bright side of this.

[list=1]
With a foot of snow on the lawn it doesn't need mowing.
Pulling the heavy liner to your dress coat out of the closet you find the fly reel you've been looking for since last spring. Ditto for the forum cap.:rolleyes:
Your not being bugged to fix the hole in the screen thats letting in bugs.
You point out every ice fishermen to your spouse and say "see honey I'm not as bad as that guy". :chuckle:
[/list=1]

Anyone got any more?

FredA
01-24-2003, 03:30 PM
And the typically chilly Cape spring will seem balmy this year.

John Desjardins
01-24-2003, 03:37 PM
One more I forgot :

The USGS says that with all the precipitation in the past couple of months the drought is over.

pmflyfisher
01-24-2003, 03:48 PM
Not in GLs, we have major problems here. Just saw an article on that this week in Chicago Tribune.

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-24-2003, 04:31 PM
We were only 1" below the normal for lats year (Ohare's reading). We most likely had more in the outlying areas.

Our problem lies in the fact that we get too much at one time, it never has a chance to settle in. We need prolonged periods of the same amount of precipitation. Rivers and lakes would react better to that.

Trib was talking about our lack of snow, if you thisnk about it 1" (of normal snow) does not equal 1" of H2O. Gimme the rain.

jfbasser
01-24-2003, 05:17 PM
With all this spare time at home afforded by the cold no one should run out of flies next year:hehe: