Fly Fishing Forum banner

Warning: Redington LA doesn't seat properly on TFO 2pc

4K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  flytyer 
#1 ·
FYI, I discovered that the 9/10 Redington LA reel that I bought does not seat properly on my Temple Fork 9' 9wt 2pc rod. The reel moves side-to-side no matter how much I tighten the hold-down (without using undue force, that is). I'm not sure if this would be a problem with the 4pc since they use a different reel seat on that model. When I was at the flyshow I spoke with the TFO rep and he said that this is a known problem.

Guess it's a good idea to try putting the reel on the rod BEFORE you buy both pieces!

BTW, my Tioga #10 fits just fine on the TFO rod. :D

Q

#3 ·
I will stand up for this worthy cause!

I had to file down the foot on my Litespeed to get it to fit onto my Sage SP 6wt. I have since sacrificed the rod to the steelhead gods and the replacement has quite an accomodating reel seat. Strange...

The funniest thing is that the cheap beginner rods seem to fit about any reel made :confused:

Standardize, I say!

#5 ·
Roger on the Redington problem.

I've got two spey rods (both Sages) were the 'short foot' of the Redingtons won't fit due to the 'foot' being too short for the reel seat! Dumb, as the Redington13/14's are huge reels, but like the 6'11" 300 pound fellow, they've got a di.. that's 2 inches long!:tsk_tsk:

#6 ·
Dave, Funny you should mention the cheap reel seats. I built a 7wt st. Croix UL and went with a Fuji graphite spinning reel seat to save some cash. A decent blank H & H guides, burled cork custom cork and, that's right a cheapo reel seat. This seat has been the most trouble free I've ever had, no binding slipping or unwanted loosening and yes that's in the salt too. Don't be suprised if you see me walking around with a rather odd looking rplxi some time. I think the metal reel seats look great but are highly over rated.

#8 ·
Q -

In the meanwhile make a couple sets of basswood or ash shoulders, if it's a space between seat lands and reelseat wings, that span between ends of seat cowlings and go down both sides of reelseat. Otherwise known as long lateral shims. If it's a seat movement problem, you know what to do in that case.

JD - Loctite or clear nail polish if you don't like electrical tape.

#9 ·
DFix said:
Q -

In the meanwhile make a couple sets of basswood or ash shoulders, if it's a space between seat lands and reelseat wings, that span between ends of seat cowlings and go down both sides of reelseat. Otherwise known as long lateral shims. If it's a seat movement problem, you know what to do in that case.

JD - Loctite or clear nail polish if you don't like electrical tape.
Thanks for the tip. It's not a problem for me because the Redington is going on the "loaner rod" (it fits fine) and my Tioga is fits perfectly on the TFO rod. I only noticed the problem because I tried to put the Redington on the TFO to fill the reel spool.

I do have a couple of 7/8 Redington LA reels that I am planning to use on my new 7wt (when I buy one). I was initially planning to get a TFO 7wt 2pc but they don't even make those for some bizarre reason. They make 6 and 8 wt 2pc and 7 wt 4pc, but no 7 wt 2pc :confused: . Guess that solves my reel seat problem on that set-up!

Q

#10 ·
Wholeheartedly agree with the need for a reelseat and reel foot standard. It is very aggrevating to have a reel move around because the seat is sloppy on the reel foot. We should not have to use tape on the reel seats of the top end rods.

I have a G Loomis 10 ft GLX that I built and I purposely put a Fugi graphite seat on it simply because I knew it would fit my reels without the reel floppy around. Friends thought I was a little tetched for putting such a cheap reel seat on a high end blank. But I've never had a problem with it in the 10 years I've had the rod. Some of the fly fishers I knew when I built the rod also thought I was nuts for building a 2 inch fighting butt onto the rod blank as well. It didn't take too many years for the rod manufacturers to start doing the same thing.

Sure wish I could have bought a nickle silver reel seat with no qualms about it fitting my reels though. The fuji seat is not a pretty peice, even when it has gold plated hoods like mine.

#11 ·
Funny you should mention the cheap reel seats. I built a 7wt st. Croix UL and went with a Fuji graphite spinning reel seat to save some cash....

In my years of spin fishing, I had problems with just one reel seat, and on a "high-end" rod: it creaked because it wasn't glued. On the other hand, I've already had three seat failures of one sort or another, and several mismatch problems `twixt reel & seat, in the 2+ years I've been mucking around with fly rods. I'll take the Fuji graphites any day: they are rugged and they work.

#12 ·
RXPLi...

Ahh but of all the not-so-perfects I've had, the RPLXi reel seat has been impeccable and I have had zero complaints. It's tight, compact, and never loosens. I've put the same seat on the 4-pc 10wt I'm building on Smitty's advice, good advice at that.

Although the mismatching is a problem there are some out there worthy of praise. The T&T Spey rod seats for instance.

The problem is equally one of reel feet as well.

I think we can be heard on this matter... maybe an electronic petition we can sign on line?

#13 ·
Maybe.....

Maybe we can have congress pass a law....Why not, they interfere with just about everything else, whether they know anything about it or not (usually not!)

You guys are sounding like "wimps". Here is the way I usually solve the problem:

I get an old fly or baitcaster, as the old reel seat is usually held on with screws.

Then I drill and tap the new reel to accept this old reel seat.

Some adjustment or trimming may be necessary, but it can be accomplished in a few minutes with nothing more than a file, a hacksaw, and some polishing paper, and some TLC.

BobK

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks Q for reminding me of one of my winter tasks.

"Sounding like wimps" :hehe: I'm repairing using the brute force method. This morning the seat mentioned as well as the grip which I disliked resides in pieces in the trash. :devil:

I did check a Reddington AS 11/12, and an Okuma Sierra 5/6 versus several seats I had stockpiled for future rods. The fuji 18mm grip and a cheap stamped aluminum seat fit both reels. A better looking seat with machined hoods that came free with a blank didn't fit either well. The Reddington had the problem Q noted while the Okuma didn't seat properly in the fixed hood. Grinding could fix the Okuma. So Dave not all cheap seats fit all reels.

#17 ·
Duct and electrical tape are always carried by me and used to secure the reel seat if needed. My 10 weight king salmon rod had the metal reel seat pulled out due to the many fights with big kings. It now has the honor of electrical tape to reinforce the reel seat. Sort of its "Red Badge of Courage". I don't use it to much any more but it can still do the job when necessary.

Any one that has fought 20lb+ fresh kings on a fly rod knows the power of them and the pressure they place on a fly rod and the fisherman.

Priceless !

PM Out

#18 ·
By the way....

That brings up a good point - What ever happened to "downlocking" reel seats? I loved 'em - they seated the reel back farther, and helped to balance the rod better. Now, getting ahold of one is like looking for hen's teeth!
Yeah, the reel had to be cared for a little more - you couldn't prop the rod against a tree or the car without getting debris in the reel, but this forced you to be a little more careful, and I really think rods were taken a little better care of (and not broken as frequently!)

Just a question....

BobK

#20 ·
Complaints .....

If as many complaints reached the rod and reel manufacturers as appear here on this board, in this short a time, I think some degree of "standardization" would be taking place already.

Metric or English Units, anyone??? Hmmm - maybe if we mount the reel seats using Whitworth threads on the bolts???:devil:

BobK

#21 ·
Standards

Good evening.... From toasty Oregon!
This is a no brainer. Why should you buy a NEW product, then have to "FIX" it?.....Hello?
Lets do this, any manufacturer thats worth his weight in brittle tippet would want this feed-back!
Juro, write it up, I'm in. As good a time as any to work on our collective "voice"
Deerhawk

#22 ·
BobK,

However, one should not have to do this with either a good reel or a quality reel seat. There should be a standardized reel seat size and a corresponding standardized reel foot size. This is not rocket science and it would be rather easy for the reel and real seat manufacturers to do.

#23 · (Edited)
I have numerous Redington AS reels and several TFO rods.The reels all fit the rods perfectly.No wobbles,no slipping or loosening at all.I guess the AL reels must have a different foot(bummer!).In regards to the "cheaper" Fugi seats,it is well known in the rodbuilding community that Fugi makes what most builders consider to be the best quality seat on the market today.While they are not fancy to look at and are inexpensive compared to others,they are the most durable,strongest,most corrosion resistant,and most reliable seats made today.They will almost never fail or loosen and will hold almost any reel tight as can be.For a saltwater reel,they are they best you can get for reliability.

#24 · (Edited)
Hey, Flytyer

I happen to AGREE with you, whether you realize it or not. Just trying to get everyone to vent their frustration on the ROD AND REEL manufacturers, rather than here on the board. I think everyone is in 100% agreement on this one - it is a dumb issue to even have occurred!
The manufacturers have to be a little smarter on this one! But they need our input to make them pay attention!

BobK :tsk_tsk:

#25 ·
tonyd said:
In regards to the "cheaper" Fugi seats,it is well known in the rodbuilding community that Fugi makes what most buiders consider to be the best quality seat on the market today.While they are not fancy to look at and are inexpensive compared to others,they are the most durable,strongest,most corrotion resistant,and most reliable seats made today.They will almost never fail or loosen and will hold almost any reel tight as can be.For a saltwater reel,they are they best you can get for reliability.
I agree with you. Thats why the one I checked the reels on is going on a fly rod. The inexpensive price is a bonus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.