Annual Fly Tying Awards? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Annual Fly Tying Awards?

flyfisha1
01-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Don't know if anyone has brought this up, but...
Has anyone thought about having an "awards ceremony" for some of the spectacular tiers in the forum? Such categories as Most Innovative Tier, Most Prolific Tier, and so on could be included, as well as awards for particular classes of patterns, such as Most Innovative Flatwing, Crab, Shrimp, Salmon Fly, Topwater Fly, etc. Pictures would be submitted by some deadline, and winners could be determined by votes from members; perhaps the winners would each get something like a gift card from a tying materials supplier. Might be interesting. There's so much obvious talent in the forum, what could it hurt?

juro
01-22-2003, 11:40 AM
I like it! How about we use it as a way to kick off the new fly pattern archive project, now underway? That way we can vote on each pattern over a period of time, and award the winners periodically.

flyfisha1
01-22-2003, 11:52 AM
Exactly. I would imagine that such a soft competition might coax even more tiers to come out of the closet and submit samples of their work, increasing the number of patterns archived. Maybe having the competition run during the colder months, when more of us are at home tying and dreaming of calm flats filled with fish, would get a greater participation, since it might be tricky to get people involved when the fish are biting. Just a thought.

Sprocket
01-25-2003, 08:26 PM
Striblue is a judge - otherwise we make a special category...:)

flyfisha1
01-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Fine with me, though I think that there should be a panel of judges, an odd number such as three. They, whoever they end up being, would be able to determine which criteria to judge upon. Striblue, how about it?

striblue
01-26-2003, 02:55 PM
What ever you guys want to do is fine with me..I just want to be sure to finish the swaps,,,but anything to keep this tying board the best there is. Infact the third and final swap was going to be any fly of originality..no coping from some other tyer.. coping technique is obviously ok.. but it would have to be a fly of originality as to tying and contruction as well.. I want the guys to push the boundaries... This is want it is all about... so maybe we can combine this with the final swap..or any other way you want to do it...I am game.

flyfisha1
01-27-2003, 07:42 AM
... got a mantis shrimp pattern I've been working on that's unlike any I've seen so far. Takes an age to tie, but looks great. I'll see about getting some pics up.
So who's going to orchestrate this competition?

striblue
01-27-2003, 10:57 AM
I will not be able to since I need to follow though on the swaps. I will help out anyone who will meister this..but not be the meister.

Sprocket
01-27-2003, 06:22 PM
If everyone sends in their entries (to a meister TBA) - they can be judged at the casting clave in March...3 to 5 prominent members in attendance can be chosen as judges - the flies laid out and voted upon, then sent back afterwards...

The only "work" would be for he meister to show up (with the flies of course) and mail 'em back out!

Sound like a good idea?

flyfisha1
01-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Fine with me; who's going to step forward to be the meister? Obviously someone who lives up in the New England area. I'm between Georgia and Florida most of the time, so I'm out of that running.

saltydog
01-28-2003, 12:38 PM
O.K. looking for a MIESTER, someone to collect flies,pattens,pic's,
just let me know, an we can start any time you like. (I won't tie or enter). 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN";)

flyfisha1
01-28-2003, 02:32 PM
For the actual categories, how about...
Tarpon Patterns
Crab Patterns
Shrimp Patterns
Squid Patterns
Poppers
Subsurface Patterns
Flat Wings
Other Baitfish Patterns with Epoxy
Other Baitfish Patterns without Epoxy
Bluewater Patterns

That's 10 categories, which seems like a bit much to me, but they cover nearly everything likely to be submitted. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions? For instance, we could stipulate that a category must have at least 6 flies have submitted by different tiers in order for that category to remain active in the competition. Also, to help with the costs, how about a $5 entry fee for each fly submitted, which means that the winner takes the kitty. The more entries per category, the greater the competition and the bigger the pot.

Sprocket
01-29-2003, 09:24 PM
I'll collect, number and put 'em on a board and deliver to the casting clave/show - judges will be voting on a number (not a name).

entrants must include the recepie & how-to instructions (for the book project!).

"entry fee" money can go towards 1st, 2nd, 3rd & honorable mention prizes - the rest should got to the board IMHO...I think it could be a self-sufficient project.

Juro/John - can we get an announcement bannner or something to announce the kick-off to all or shoud I just start a sign up thread?
Please email me at tms@brpulusa.com with direction - thanks.

TMS

flyfisha1
01-30-2003, 07:27 AM
Does that mean that the top three flies out of the entire competition are the only ones that will "win anything"? I realize the importance of funds to the board, but I think that a good way to operate this competition would be to perhaps split the toal entry fees between the board and the winner of each active category. That way, the tier is recognized for tying the best fly among others submitted by a group of his or her peers. In the event that the judges all prefer one type of pattern in particular, this still ensures that ALL categories have winners. Just my $0.02. Juro, John, do you have any input on this?

flyfisha1
01-30-2003, 07:30 AM
By the way, in the "minimum of 6 entries per category" scenario, that means that at $5 per entry, the winner would receive $15 for winning and the board would get the other $15, in the event of a 50/50 split. If all 10 categories are active, the board gets $150 out of it. Not a lot, but then again not too bad, either.

Sprocket
01-30-2003, 05:53 PM
FF1 - let's take this "off line" - we can discuss the category/awards thing & get the guidelines squared away, then present to the board - the 50/50 sounds good to me.

I'll email you with my work address and we can type tomorrow.

hopefully we can kick this off on Monday next week!.

thanks,
TMS

juro
01-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Wow - I havent' tracked this thread but it's really taken off!

I haven't totally soaked it all in yet but I have some comments:

We don't need a monetary prize if we use the flies as the currency. Thanks for the gesture but here's what I would propose if I were doing this, but of course this is your event and I am only providing an opinion as requested:

Each category takes entries.

There is no entry fee.

There is a first, second and third prize award per category.

First prize fly goes into a grand shadow box with the other first prizes. The winner gets the top tyer award for the year in that category. We will have a suitable award / trophy made.

Second prize wins a very nice shadow box with a lion's share arrangement of flies from the contestants, put together in an heirloom-grade manner.

Third prize wins the remainder of the flies submitted by the contestants in a nice shadow box.

The top flies in the grand shadow box will be auctioned.

The voting occurs on-line.

That way:

- no one needs to send money or deal with money
- every fly gets utilized
- more participants from around the world can participate

It might make a nice annual tradition!

striblue
01-30-2003, 09:52 PM
I think this is a great idea... and I think Tod and flyfish can work out the details as was suggested... I will do whatever the group wants. Once you decide I am sure Juro Knows how to structure a banner or sign up.

flyfisha1
01-31-2003, 07:09 AM
Juro,
Great ideas! I like that much better than a monetary prize. I think it means more to be able to see the work of your peers and have it preserved in a way that's easily enjoyed. We'll try and get the details ironed out...

Sprocket
01-31-2003, 05:36 PM
Chris & I are in agreement with your suggestions Juro - I'll meister & give you the heads-up when I've got it all settled. Then you can make the banner.

Also - Juro, is the book project still a "go", I'll be sure to ask for ingredients & how-to write ups anyway but this would be a great start...

TMS