I am also testing the attachments to see how it works

Sorry forgot to add the pattern

Hook: Tiemco TMC 2488 #12-#20
Thread: Brown
Tail and antennae: White sparkle yarn
Abdomen: Stripped peacock quill
Wingcase: Thin strip of neoprene
Thorax: Peacock herl
Wingbuds: Loop of light brown goose biots on both sides a little towards the bottom

Dble Haul
01-23-2003, 12:58 PM
That is a very well tied fly. You give a range of sizes from 12 to 20, but what size is the one in the pic?

Nice work!

01-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Nice tie

I tie a pattern just like that but use snowshoe fur or CDC instead of the antron. Keeps the fly in the film pretty well (for a while at least). The neoprene is a good idea.

Jake you must have some big Chiros out there to do a size 12! We dont get anything bigger than an 18 - 20 in these parts and I'm usually stuck with 24s if I want to actually catch anything.

Haul - love the new title. Banged out 7 freshwater rat's asses last night for the warmwater swap - will that be enough flies (including one for yourself?)

Dble Haul
01-23-2003, 02:51 PM
Dave, I still smile whenever I see your avatar signature. My new title was given to me by my two and a half year old neice after I relieved her of any remaining cookies in the family jar. :devil:

No comments from the peanut gallery!!!

Yes, that's enough flies for the swap.....6 to swap, and one extra for the meister if you're so inclined. Looking forward to seeing them.

01-23-2003, 03:50 PM
The Chirono's here in BC can get huge...we have some here we call bombers......1 1/2 inches can tie them on a size 8 3x long shank and just start to match the hatch....the one in the pic I cannot remember what size it is but judging from the size of the antron I am going to say 12.....I have a new material that makes the most outstanding gills I have ever seen.
It is called "Wooly nylon" and you can find it in any sewing is apparently used on comes in 900 meter rolls...enough to last several life times...about $8 a spool...when it is pulled tight it is very slim...when you let it go after it has been cut it flairs up just like the real gills on a chironomid

I cannot remember who the originator is...I think it is from a fellow over in Europe I cannot take credit for it. Whoever it was did a fine job....

I will post more of my favorites as the season approaches. I can see that the trout section needs some bolstering....we are way behind the stipers and steelhead

Nice chatting with you fellows

Best regards....jake

01-23-2003, 03:57 PM

Wow those are some big bugs. The biggest STONEFLY adults we get around here are about a sz 8 3x hook! The fish must go nuts when those suckers are squirming in the surface film.

Look forward to seeing some more of your work. Gotta get a digital camera so I can post some ties of my own...

01-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Yes they are huge and the fish look like pirahna for the stones here...well lets just say that a 3 inch black stone is nothing to get excited about....must be something in the water....or should I say lack of something in our water...

I too have got to get a digital soon.....

I would like to post more patterns, but that means running into work and borrowing a camera.

01-27-2003, 10:19 PM
I have ended up using epoxy for these wing cases instead of neoprene....I could not find clear neoprene.....