Fly Fishing Forum banner

Good Stuff You Saw At The Marlboro Show?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
1. Striblue's flies. Shoulda' kept them under your hat until they were complete, what with all those thieving fly tier-types wandering around there...

2. T & T Helix rods. Nice. Imagine a sweet salt water 6-weight for those baby stripers?

3. Temple Forks 12'6" 8/9-weight two hander. This is now a production rod with a retail price of $ 299. Typical TFO value for dollar, unbelievably lightweight and well-finished. I don't know squat about spey casting, but it made short work overhead casting a full WF10I. Flexes a little more deeply than I would like for overhead casting, but the best low dollar two-hander I have seen yet. Note to self: Acquisition reccomended.

4. Rio T-14. Throw away your LC-13 and call your Rio dealer now! When you see this stuff, you will never suffer those leadcore heads again. About eleven bucks for 30'.

5. Rio Clouser lines. How can you not buy a line made specifically for clousers?

Most dissapointing: Long-awaited new reel from giant fly rod manufacturer. Ugh! Finish worthy of Pflueger, yet priced like a quality reel.

Conspicuously absent: Orvis, Loomis.

Avoid at all costs even if they are giving it away: The Clam Chowder & the hot dogs.

Great seeing everyone!

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I was studiously avoiding looking at rods & reels focussing on incidentals. My big find was the pastel colored maribou that I've been looking for since last fall @ Bears Den.

I'll toss in another vote for Striblues flies. John, how do you find the time for tying?

Finally it was good to stop by the booth and talk for a while finally putting faces to people I've been corresponding with.

#7 ·
The famous Crabapple crab.
The Sage XP sweet rod but I had to overline to load the rod. Seems that the line recommended and tested would not load the rod for me.

NJ flyshop display which is next to Popvich home waters. Great saltwater materials.

Winston Ibis great fit an finish a little soft wonder if it was the line.
Wanted to test T&T rods but ran out of time.

Longhorns for after the show takedown with Juro and the gang.

FishHawk

#8 ·
I was impressed with Bears Den products also - their custom dyeing produces some very interesting variations on the usual color themes. It was also nice to be able to say thanks for their sponsorship.

Jay, I'm glad you got to try the Temple Fork double hander. I'm looking forward to wetting a line with mine - probably March down Joizey way ;)

I;m surprised nobody mentioned Elkhorn yet - seems like almost everyone at the show picked one up. Fantastic deal on what looks to be a very good product. I didn't get a chance to cast one but the 10wt which Slinger brought by the stand felt like a serious casting tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.