Fly Fishing Forum banner

heavy fly lines

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Hi all
I recently purchased a sage1390-3 rplxi that i intend to fish for bluefin tuna with in the mass bay area what I'm looking for is a slow sinking or intermediate line for this rod. Any suggestions as to line wt. ,manufacturers, and models that would be good for this application.
Thanks Steve

#2 ·
Hawkeye, BobP, Roop, etc - curious what you guys have been throwing at BFT in this class? Artb, what does Capt.Art Jr think?

I would've thought that the old saltwater bug taper in this weight would be ideal for the situation, but I am not aware of anyone making that configuration anymore.

My bet would be that the Rio Quickshooter in weight 13 is your best bet, which comes in floating, floating w/ intermediate tip, and full clear intermediate in 13wt.

If you are going to the Marlboro show, I would highly recommend stopping to see Simon Gawesworth at the Rio booth and asking if my recommendation is on target in his opinion.

Here is the rio site: Our sponsor Rio Flylines

#3 ·
BFT lines

I think you have the right idea Juro, in recommending the Rio Quick Shooter. My son has been using a 14 weight sink on a 15 weight rod, it works OK, Casting distance is not a factor, but getting to the proper depth is. A line with changeable tips would seem to have an advantage, being able to change the depth at which you want the fly to ride is definitely an advantage. Just my 2cents. I will check with my son tonight when he gets out of work.:)

#5 ·
Steve,

I have a 14 weight Powell which I love. It threw a 325 grain QD just fine, I went with others recommendations for a 525 grain and regretted it.

Thinking about the schools that we/ you will be cast to. I wound up going with a 425 grain floating/ shooting head that is a breeze to cast, generates super line speed and is easy to pick up and re-cast when I blow it due to Buck (bluefin) fever.

Best of luck,

Roop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.