Dream Destinations? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dream Destinations?

willmullis
01-17-2003, 03:43 PM
If you had the opportunity to go on a fly fishing adventure to any place on earth where would you choose to go?

willmullis
01-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Personally I think I would choose to go Peacock Bass fishing on the Amazon. Not just for the fishing, but also for the diversity of plants, animals and culture that I could see. I think that would be the ultimate trip. Maybe one day!

Adrian
01-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Himalayan foothills for Mahseer on fly. Its been done with plugs but not sure about flies

OC
01-17-2003, 04:20 PM
In 1972/3 got to fish many island flats in the Indian Ocean while sailing on a friends boat. We fished and surfed from one atoll to the next and rarely ran into anyone at all. Some of those places are now known and are fished by commercial guides but most are unfished or kept secret and they are now in dangerous waters with lots of outlaws or pirates who don't play nice. But I would love to go back and see if things have changed much.

Another place would be the 100 miles on either side of the Amazon River Delta. Have a feeling that the tarpon and snook fishing and god only knows what else would be the very best. Same goes for the mouth of the Congo River in Africa.

Just getting the world atlas out at night and looking at all the places I've missed in my travels gets the adventure blood flowing. What about the waters off N. korea? Now that would be a fishing adventure that I may be a bit too old to try.

BigDave
01-17-2003, 04:23 PM
My #1 trip of a lifetime: Mongolia for Taimen on dry flies

In the meantime...

FWFF: Alsaska 2-week wilderness drift/camp trip for whatever we can find - preferably big artic char.

SWFF: Seychelles for a 50# + Trevally on a popper

:rolleyes:

SDHflyfisher
01-17-2003, 04:27 PM
New zealand or argentina for big browns then probably alaska for arctic char and bows

Moonlight
01-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Thats in Africa for Tarpon and many other things that swim in the heat. Reality is the heat would probably kill me, oh well one less rod on the river, as they say.

fredaevans
01-17-2003, 07:47 PM
"Just getting the world atlas out at night and looking at all the places I've missed in my travels gets the adventure blood flowing. What about the waters off N. korea? Now that would be a fishing adventure that I may be a bit too old to try.

OC, you tickle me no end!:D
fae

cohocola
01-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Without a doubt, New Zealand...
Notrh or south island, it doesn't matter.
Do I have to come back home? :D

kush
01-17-2003, 09:29 PM
I think the salmonids win, probably somewhere on the Kola Peninsula. Somewhere with my friend Per Stadigh as he's "scouting" an empty section of a river before they send the clients in .... :smokin:

BobK
01-17-2003, 09:40 PM
With several feet of snow on the ground, the temperature just above zero (will go below tonight), the wind howling, and not having been out fishing for over three weeks now, I'm getting cabin fever! Just a simple trip to my local stream would be HEAVEN right now, and a REAL dream trip!!!!!

Only 73 more days until April 1!

BobK.

flytyer
01-17-2003, 11:38 PM
The Kola Peninsuala and Chile for the steahead that are found in some of the rivers are my top two dream destinations.

DEERHAAWK
01-18-2003, 12:22 AM
Good evening,
By far and away, it would be Scotland and Ireland. A walking tour with no time limit. Thank you, I'm there!
Deerhawk

inland
01-18-2003, 01:46 AM
Adrian,

I will second that one. Arunachal Pradesh to fish the upper tribs of the Brahmaputra where the Mahseer are known to take flies!

William

cohocola
01-18-2003, 03:18 AM
Some place WARM...

It's 8 degrees here in Andover, Ohio (20 miles from lake erie) with a -2 degree wind chill.:eyecrazy:

I could see myself fly fishing Hawaii or Guam, just my luck all I could get would be Bikini Atoll, it's HOT there. :rolleyes:

If I am to freeze, then I want to go to the Tunguska River in Siberia or Lake Vostok in Antarctica (bring an ice pick). :hehe:

aknightinak
01-18-2003, 01:20 PM
If you had the opportunity to go on a fly fishing adventure to any place on earth where would you choose to go?

right where I am

willmullis
01-18-2003, 04:37 PM
aknightinak,

I must say I envy you. I live in Cincinnati and we got some decent Panfish :chuckle:

pmflyfisher
01-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Anywheres warm right now, where I could fly fish for bones, tarpon, or permit wading a flat.

PM Out

Better check into airfares to visit my brother in Jupiter florida since it ain't going to be warm here anytime soon. (months away)

:mad:

bcasey
01-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Not so tough, This IS Cape Cod, RIGHT!!!
One look at smcdermot's monster from the suds, playing with the Bonito or Albies in Vineyard Sound or chasing 100#BlueFin Tuna around CCBay. Can it get any better than this? Not when you have a bunch of GREAT FRIENDS to share it with!:D

Nick
01-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Christmas Island.:eyecrazy:

juro
01-18-2003, 09:12 PM
I agree with Case, nothing could make me feel alive again like a good tide full of bait and monster shadows lurking on a shallow brightly lit flat... but also with Nick it'd be amazing to be wet wading with a warm humid stillness in the air while casting along the mangroves to cruising tarpon or on the shallow chalky flats for big bonefish... and Kush if I could be the third rod to follow you and Per through the pool I would be in heaven... or to take in the sweet smell of april tree buds in the Skagit valley with the promise of a native 20 pound steelhead alive in every cast and swing of the fly... Kamchatka! or just about anything to break these bitter winter doldrums.

I think I may have had the dream trip earlier this year, but for a multitude of reasons it was not to be - several days on the river Tweed with a friend and master rod designer, pondering every aspect of spey casting and rods in the country where it came to be in pursuit of the king of fish, staying in a 16th century lodge. Right now that would probably be my dream trip; to have that chance again!

2HandTheSalt
01-19-2003, 09:18 AM
1. Australia
1A. Patagonia
2. Seychelles
3. Palmyra
4. Christmas Island
5. Costa Rica

So many places, so little money........................

Moonlight
01-19-2003, 12:05 PM
I know its a great place to hijack sailboats but I never heard it touted as a fishing destination. Maybe thats the rest of the story that Bougleosee didn't tell us.

2HandTheSalt
01-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Palmyra?

Imagine Christmas Island without the fishing lodges.....

It is owned by the Nature Conservancy now, so it would probably require a half-a-platoon of marines to secure the island for fishing, but hey, we are dreaming here, right?

Moonlight
01-19-2003, 05:30 PM
A burned out Hippie made it to Palmyra from Hawaii in a leaky tub with not much more than a clue for skills, by the time you get that far its gotta be one of your stops.

dansteelieman
01-19-2003, 06:36 PM
I would venture to Iceland to take on Atlantics and large sea run trout. Very little anglers, alot of fish!

I would also want to visit Patagonia or Chile.

Most of all, I would want to stay in the Great Lakes and chase steelhead, still plenty of destinations to visit.

removed_by_request
01-19-2003, 07:30 PM
I know a special establishment in Nevada (outside of Vegas) that would make for a fun week-end.

sandflyx
01-19-2003, 10:04 PM
This past sept. Got to fly fish for 30 days out west, wyoming,oregon,idaho,colorado. camping out of van. ALL expences paid !!!:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

willmullis
01-20-2003, 10:06 AM
Man sandfly how on earth did you land that gig? :confused:

OC
01-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Yup, Palmyra has changed over the years. Need reservations now to anchor there and they are hard to get. In the Hippie days it was one big party be it two sailboats anchored or 10. I've herd that the Island was getting trashed pretty bad over the last 10 years or so. Maybe it's best the way it is now but that can sure make for a long journey to Tahitti. I'll bet there are plenty of big Alua, Jacks and Ahi to be had around Palmyra. Bottom fishing for a time many years ago was good for dead objects wrapped in chains.
South of Christmas Island, 3 or 4 hundred miles????????? Do you know what's there, no lodges, no snotty snobs with way too much money who can't cast worth a damn.

Fred, Let's go soon and fish the west side of N. korea. I bet the coast is much like the New England coast. Climate maybe about the same and tides must run about 12 feet. All we need is one of those fancy Navy Seal type stealth boats to get in and out of the surf line. No idea what we will catch but that's what's fun about world wide fishing. Don't know about you but I've been shot at while fishing before when I was a kid. I used to sneak into those private ponds surrounded by cramberry bogs out on Cape Cod. Fred, it just adds to the total flavor, come on smell the salt and cast a line knowing it could just be your last cast.
:smokin:
OC

sandflyx
01-21-2003, 08:35 PM
willmullis; I can't really dilvulge my sorce but it was a great trip.;)

2HandTheSalt
01-22-2003, 06:21 AM
Turns out you can actually fish Palmyra-If you have really deep pockets.

According to the OrvisSpam I got yesterday, six lucky anglers are allowed in to fish Palmyra with Orvis this year. Cost is $ 6,850 each including airfare from Hawaii. This is for four days of fishing.

Throw in air to Hawaii, and we are talking two-grand a day.

Please delete Palmyra from my list.

SLC
04-21-2003, 03:39 AM
I'd be happy to share my fishing experiences from Palmyra if there is interest.
...and no, I'd didn't pay $6850 to get down there...although, if you've got money coming out the wazzoo, it might be worth it.
...also, Orvis may be charging people to get there, but there is no other way to get there except by boat. Therefore, access has increased now that TNC owns the islands. Sure, it's expensive, but I can pretty confidently say that they are breaking even on the venture or making beans. You might be able to fly there with your own plane (although TNC probably would not like this very much), but, technically, there are few planes that can actually make the trip from Hawaii: landing is VFR, the alternate is Christmas Island (another 350 miles southwest after 1000 from HI), and no jets (bird strike hazard and crushed coral runway). Therefore, that the general public (ignoring money for a moment) can even get there is truly special.

at least that's my $0.02

Moonlight
04-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Heres a little known fact about travel and fishing. Just curious if when OC was traveling around the Indian Ocean if he ran into any "Rain"?
While eating lunch in a Cafe in Forks Washington the other day I read the back of the menu, it was loaded with facts about rainfall. Seems the highest one day total record for the entire planet took place on a small island in the Indian Ocean, "74 inches".
Brings up a thought to me about dreaming and wishing "beware of what you wish for it may come true."
Just so you know where and when not to use the time machine when it is finally perfected by Striblue or some other tinker gone high tech. Stay out of the Indian Ocean on March 15,1952 its going to be a wet one.

OC
04-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Yup, Forks, Washington the town of enlightenment. They don't need a library when they got the backside of cafe menu's.

74 inches in one day, yiks! What cafe did you read this in Moonlight? I've read a lot of truely interesting facts on the back of menu's in Forks but that one got away.

Yes it does rain in SE Asia, they call it the Monsoons. Hitch hiked up through Maylasia to Yait Sai in Thiland in the monsoon season. Just another jail story though.

My daughter and many other Wyoming ranchers sure could use some of that 74 inches of rain about now.

Fishing Note/ Quizz.
Do you know that in SE Asia they fish in rice paddies with fine cane poles? Does anyone know what they catch?

Moonlight
04-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Left over from Moonlights fishing trip there in 1968. I'll bet eels or is that ells