Need some help [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Need some help

RTF
01-17-2003, 12:26 PM
Hey folks, I was wondering if I could get some feedback from you early northeast trout fisherman. I am trying to get a piece put together for my web site on flyfishing early in NY. What I am after is the type of flies that are prefered by trout in the early stages. Now most of central , western, and northern NY will have very cold waters come April 1st (opening day) and the possibility of high waters as the snow pack right now is averging 6 feet in most areas. Most streams and lakes have been iced over since late November and there is no sign of any warm weather to come. Any tips and info would be appriciated greatly. i am new to fly fishing so I lack knowledge in this area. I will give credit to this board when I publish the story on the web site. Thanks in advance,..
RTF

boarmountain
01-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Depends on the river. But some basic flies are olive caddis larvae and pupae size 12-18, Hendrickson nymphs size 12-14.Some rivers have stoneflies so a few golden and dark stones in size 10 -14. Hares ears size 10-16 and pheasant tails 12-16.
This is REAL basic and depends on where you fish.

RTF
01-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Thanks boarmountain ! Ok people, dont be shy. If you dont feel comfortable posting it, then by all means email me.

nbrandon
01-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Dipetera midges are always present no matter how cold it is. Alot of big fish are caught on midges, especially during high pressure situations. The patterns are easy to tie, just don't drop them on the carpet!

Neil

SDHflyfisher
01-31-2003, 05:00 PM
what boarmountain posted pretty much covers all of the nymphs that i use.