Tying Flies for Saltwater CD-ROM [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tying Flies for Saltwater CD-ROM

willmullis
01-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Anybody ever tried out any of this fly tying software that I have been seeing alot of lately? I couldn't find a picture of it anywhere but here is the description that I found.

Based on the best selling book, this interactive program contains instruction as well as details on 294 salt patterns and a section on coastal baitfish. Full motion videos of six patterns include: LEFTY'S DECEIVER, SURF CANDY, AJ'S SAND EEL, CLOUSER DEEP MINNOW, BONEFISH SLIDER, and DEL BROWN'S PERMIT FLY. Step-by-step videos include: Apte Tarpon Fly, Crazy Charlie, Dan Blanton's White Whistler, Epoxy Mini Puff, Shady Lady Squid, Snapping Shrimp, Tabory's Slab Side, and Ultra Shrimp. Windows & Macintosh compatible.

That's not the only one I found it turns out there are dozens of different titles out there, yet I have never seen such a thing until recently. Anybody actually use this stuff and it so is is really better than just reading a book?

Smcdermott
01-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Will,
I own what I think is the CD you mentioned in your post. As a beginning tier I did find the full length videos useful as a way to understand the stuff an experienced tier would take for granted like hand position and the first few wraps as you attach some bucktail. For a more experienced tier, I think that books are better as the pictures are generally of higher quality and easier to follow while tying.

Sean

Tod D
01-17-2003, 12:47 PM
FWIW, I used some Christmas cash to buy the cd, "Tying Flies for Saltwater", by Dick Stewart and Farrow Allen. It's not too shabby. Best of all, it was $9.95 from Angler's Art.

For any of you New Englanders planning on going to Marlboro this weekend, they may have some...