Around the Cape, around the workstation [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Around the Cape, around the workstation

Lefty
07-23-2001, 01:38 PM
I hit North Monomoy this am to find a pack of 40" fish coming at me accross the flats. There must have been 30 of them. After landing quite a few I jumped back on Rip Ryders boat back in. I then went down to Bass River where a school of 30+ inch Bass and Blues were surface feeding by the jetty. Every cast for the next 2 hours produced a huge fish taking me into my backing. Jumped in the truck and met up with Jeanif Gustof master guide and off we go to Wianno. I walk up to the water and first cast my fly is inhaled by a 9 Lb. Bonito. What a fight after that. This action continued until sunset some 3 hours later, non stop Albies and Bonito.

(Ok there are big fish down the Cape and i want some on the fly. The No. Shore is slow and,on top of that, I got a young family that needs lots of Dad in their lives this summer. So I have to sit here and read daily reports of guys walking up to the water, chucking a fly and "Oh..39incher" second cast "Oh 36 incher" etc.etc.etc.ad nauseum. Frustrating. Therefore I present this fantasy version. Jealous and envious? Yes, guilty. Who wouldn't be? All I can say in my defense is: you guys need to get a life and I'll have my day!;-))

Lefty

juro
07-23-2001, 01:53 PM
Somewhere on an expanse of tidal structures around Cape Ann are troops of big, mean bright sided cows tough enough to eat chicken lobsters for appetizers and horse mackeral for dessert, maybe not in the warm outflow of the Merrimack but in the wave-washed rocky scenery of the 'other' cape up to the forest-lined saltwater inlets of Maine.

I think the North shore is under seige with big stripers, somewhere in the glacier-torn coastal archipelago...

A sortie' in is order.

striblue
07-23-2001, 03:26 PM
Terry.. It's not on every cast ..... only every 4 or 5. }>

Lefty
07-23-2001, 03:34 PM
Hey John,

Real flyfisherman solve jigsaw puzzles like the North Shore (and we know your proximity to it) rather than run to the Hatchery tank known as Chatham and cast into stacked up starving logs :p

(good comeback huh?)

Lefty

Roop
07-23-2001, 05:35 PM
If it was every cast, it wouldn't be any fun.

I/ we had to work for many of the fish that we landed, I just don't think anyone wants a recount of my non-productive time.

striblue
07-23-2001, 06:46 PM
Your right Terry... But when the puzzle is solved you buy a new puzzle. I spent countless number of hours searching and trial and error... not to mention the constant changes.. My two hours this morning produced nothing until I tried a spot I had found a month ago which produced nothing then... but now it does... maybe tomorrow it wont. You know the routine.

Lefty
07-23-2001, 08:38 PM
Thanks guys for letting me vent my frustration. At least I owned up to my envy.

Lefty

ssully
07-23-2001, 08:57 PM
Sleeping Beauty huh?

If I had to live on the fish I caught I would have starved to death a long time ago.

Albie alfredo anyone? ;-)

FredA
07-23-2001, 09:07 PM
Geez, reading Terry's post, I was ready to hang it up (That kind of week, must be taken things too seriously). Bass River! I caught one stinking micro there this spring. Worse yet, my wife was with me ("didn't put up much of a fight") and again I had to put up with the sarcastic remarks.

Fred A.

MarkDoogue
07-23-2001, 09:54 PM
FredA (07-23-2001 09:07 p.m.):
Geez, reading Terry's post, I was ready to hang it up (That kind of week, must be taken things too seriously). Bass River! I caught one stinking micro there this spring. Worse yet, my wife was with me ("didn't put up much of a fight") and again I had to put up with the sarcastic remarks.

Fred A.
Hang tight Fred. Just developed an old roll of film and guess who had his picture taken with fish in hand? Next time we meet and if I remember I will give them to youall. Jim D.