Early Season Trout [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Early Season Trout

01-16-2003, 04:35 PM
for those of you in the midwest you probably know that WI early trout season starts in march. i was just wondering were you will be going and probably be fishing with. I live in waterford WI in racine county the closest stream to me is the mukwonago river. it's probaly only five feet wide i will probably be using small nymphs and midges. PM you live in the area what are you gong to do? I am going to try to get my Dad to fly fish. like that's gonna happen. he is an old time pnfisherman. this fall he caught his first brookie this river.

01-17-2003, 09:18 AM

My Dad is an old salt surfcaster. Every year I take him up to the Ausable for Hendricksons. He is 6'5" and over 3 bills. You should see a man that size with a 7'6" 4 weight fishing a dry fly. It looks like King Kong with a pool cue.:whoa:
It is by far my favorite trip of the year with him and when he catches a fish you can tell he has such an appreciation for the beauty of it. His hand makes a 10" fish look 5".:hehe:

Anyways, aside from streamers (year round), that will be my first trout trip of the year. Drys, Hennys and the Ausable. I can't wait.

01-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Well, it really depends upon the weather. If it rains alot and the water is high, then i'll go steelheading on a tributary. If its dry, like it is now, then i'll head out to the trout streams.

The bobber fishermen dont come out until the regular trout season, so if you head to a popular river, you might meet alot of fellow fly fishermen.

If you're lookin for a fishing partner, let me know. It'd be fun to scout out some of the lesser known creeks in the state.

01-17-2003, 09:37 AM
There are many other mid west states with open trout fishing through the winter, and all year for that matter. Some areas I cannot talk about online though. If it wasn't so cold I would be heading for one for sure soon. Its not Wisconsin either.

If you want to know about it

PM me.

PM Out

01-17-2003, 09:47 AM
There is a few places in wisconsin you can catch 12" rainbows all winter. These places are not for posting however... hehe

01-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Thats right never post online about your small stream zipper lip waters. shhhhh...

Pm Out

01-17-2003, 04:21 PM
yeah i've learned not to talk about my favorite spots. but when people see the mukwonago river they'll probaly not even stop. the biggest fish we caught was a 6" brookie. The only bad thing is that i don't have a driver's license yet. i'm taking the class right know so i still have to bum a ride with my dad. we have a great time fishing. like i stated before he doesn't FF (yet). Some day this spring i'd ike to head out to the western part of the state to FF

01-18-2003, 12:43 PM
PM and nbrandon, will be gwetting prepared for the outing we will probably need 7x or 8x tippet and midges and small nymphs