Chatham Light--7/23 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Light--7/23

striblue
07-23-2001, 11:46 AM
Left at 5 AM this morning even though I was up at 4... just draging a little. Started fishing certain spots and there were only a few fishermen out ,mostly at the point with a couple fly guys... tide was about middle outgoing so I start my walk in knee to waste deep water out to the outer bars.. the fly guys follow. Incredible... but no fish as I move around... no one catching. 5 to 7 AM... zero... so I figure I will try one more spot off a flat into a long drop off... third cast and 15 minutes later I haul in a 38 incher... weighing 28 pounds... cast again and let it drift into the area... a 25 incher... next group of casts a hit then a break off... I look at the leader trying to figure if it's a blue or my knot failed... looked like knot failure.... next short series of casts ,hook, fight and land 36 incher... was going to weigh him but forget it. all tough in the outgoing current... both well into my backing as I scan the horizon for lobster pots... thank God none where I am... next series of casts ..bang.. rips my line right off the reel and I fail to set the hook quick enough and she's history... A great morning from shore.. so I am there tomorrow with agood tide one hour difference.

juro
07-23-2001, 11:48 AM
JOhn....

I'll be right down!!!

Roop
07-23-2001, 12:09 PM
Cough, cough....

ohhh my stomach....

Reno
07-23-2001, 01:08 PM
Hello John,
I,ll be going down there tomorrow morning, so i'll be on of those guy following you.
Bob Renauld

juro
07-23-2001, 01:35 PM
Minus tides in late morning, but too late to stay for the low with parking rules enforced after 9am. Lots of current though and I would suspect that the miles of beach to the south would be productive and any short-circuiting could be easily made up with a ride on the Rip Ryder to South Beach / North Monomoy with high sun and minus tides making sight fishing productive. >sigh<

Back to work.

striblue
07-23-2001, 03:19 PM
By the way.. this is a different spot from Saturday and Sunday.

striblue
07-23-2001, 03:22 PM
OK Reno... I will take you there... the fly guys who followed me stoped short and gave up... we won't though.

Reno
07-23-2001, 03:29 PM
John,
Will you be leaving from the light? What time?

juro
07-23-2001, 03:52 PM
striblue (07-23-2001 03:19 p.m.):
By the way.. this is a different spot from Saturday and Sunday.

I figured, I assumed it's that spot where I went off for hours by myself at the Spring fling and although I saw hundreds of fish only popped two! Flat/hole, you know the place.

striblue
07-23-2001, 06:51 PM
Reno.. I will be there about 5 am.. no need to get there earlier... the tide is one hout forward... Juro... no, that is not the spot... although that's one of my usual visits... this is different I will discus with you later.

juro
07-23-2001, 06:59 PM
Always a reason to turn the next corner when fishing, and in the surf things are always changing - it never sleeps except for short breathers in between the tides.

John I look forward to checking out yet another dimension of... the striper zone.