Materials Source [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Materials Source

CRegalis
01-14-2003, 06:52 PM
What's a good source for "lavender" hair and hackle that is so artfully used in various flatwing patterns? Most of what I see is a dark purple- nothing subtle enough to be called lavender. Naturally I'll be checking at any shows I attend in the coming month. Any other thoughts?

striblue
01-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Not sure , but I would check with Todd Murphy who works with Kenney.. You can e-mail him by finding him under "wellhooked".

DFix
01-15-2003, 09:31 AM
Cap-

Any lavender I've picked up is from shops or booths at shows. Been very lucky to find bucktails with 3-4+" hair on them by diligently manhandling all available stock.

One of our sponsors, Bear's Den, sells some unbelieveably beautiful pastel dyed bucktails with long workable hair. Recently, they've taken to dyeing marabou bloods as well, in matching colors. Worth a shot even from way down in the Valley Forge area.

Doc Duprey
01-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Cap,

If you are coming to the Somerset NJ show at the end of the month, you may be successful at the Saltwater Edge booth (sorry for the non-sponsor mention) as they do carry RLS hackles. Otherwise, it's catch-as-catch-can, though more andd more shops are carrying suctom-dyed materials, so things may be getting better.

Just my $0.02

-Doc

boarmountain
01-15-2003, 01:48 PM
I dye my own. It's simple and takes about 10 minutes.

Smcdermott
01-15-2003, 01:58 PM
It would be a long trek for you but I am sure you could give them a call. Scott is a sponsor of ours and has great custom dyed hackles and buctail.

Sean

JimW
01-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Bear's den. www.bearsden.com
Rod builders workshop. http://www.rodbuildersworkshop.com/
and
Saltwater edge http://www.saltwateredge.com/

Bear's and rodbuilders are both sponsors. Saltwater edge was a sponsor if they are not still. I know that the Bear's den ships all over the country. Not sure about the others but you can always ask.

CRegalis
01-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Good ideas all- I can't say that I've ever actually seen any lavender items. I'll start with the shows- (Ft Washington PA this week, Somerset next) and then go to the mailorder route as needed.

FishHawk
01-16-2003, 05:53 AM
I second the Bear's Den. Scott has gotten the dyeing down. His batches are consistent unlike the RLS Hackles.
FishHawk