Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Ross Reels...

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JDJones 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The Galvan is no longer competitive with the new ones from Ross. Having said that, the Evolution has pushed into higher price bracket, and there are some really good reels for just under a few hundred bucks. The Tbor TailWater, the WaterWorks ULA to name a couple.

#6 ·
The WaterWorks Purist is $280, not a disc, so maybe not comparable to the others. The Lamson is in that price range though.
The Galvin were and are great reels. I just think that the others are a little nicer. I have two(Galvins) and fish with them quite a bit. The Tibor is not really a true LA reel, but for a five weight it can not be beat. It is sweet. It makes everyone elses $300 reel look a little plasticky. Abel has lowered their price on the Pt.5 to be around $300 too. Not my favorite for a #5, but a very nice reel as well.

#7 ·
Bauer

As long as you guys are window shopping for reels, you might want to check out Bauers. Since Bauer has revamped their line of reels, there are good deals to be had on the older models. Mark Bachmann at the Fly Shop in Welches has them on his website www.flyfishusa.com The M2 or M3 would be about right for a 5 wt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.