Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Reel Advice

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  dansteelieman 
#1 ·
Ok, toying around with the idea of a new reel for a my first attempt at a custom rod. It's a 10'6" 6 wt. A little stiffer than IM6. It's turning with the last coat right now. I will list off the reels that came to mind and you guys can help sort em out for me.

1 Orvis Battenkill LA- Have one already and love it.
2 Orivis Vortex- Have one of these too, but, not sure I wanna spend the cash
3 Loop Evotech LW 4-7- Don't know anything about em...just look sweet
4 Bauer M3- I've played around with em and I might be able to get one cheap
5 Abel Super6- I am very tempted..I love this reel... but again....cost.

I have a Ross, it's OK but, I don't think I would get another one. I also have heard some not so great reports about Harris over the long haul. Don't think I would get one of those either. So, let me have it. Who knows what here? Thanks guys.

LR

#3 ·
Have one of the Orvis LA models, or rather, my wife does. Works well for stripers in the salt, with just a good rinse at day's end and a little lube. No big deal. Great for the price.

Bauers have a good rep, but the Abel is my choice if price is not an issue. (Wonder what that's like?)

Good luck!

-Doc

#4 ·
For what its worth...

I have a Bauer M4 and just got an Abel Super 11.

The bearing on the M4 went after a battle with 3 Albies in about 20 minutes. Customer service was great though and I got it back just a few days later with all new parts.

I have not fished the Abel yet but from the looks of it all I can say is wow. Dreaming of the day when I can hook a big tarpon on it.

Sean

#8 ·
No, no problems at all. I like the reel just fine. Its a Canyon 2. I have a little problem with the range of the drag...but, you wouldn't have that probelm with the C6. Basically I want to buy one real to use with a 10'6" 6wt and a 9' 6wt. The long rod I will put an 8 weight floating line on and the 9 ftr I will put a couple different sinking lines on. I also find LA to be a big advantage. So that limits my decision outside of Ross...I think. I am really leaning towards the Super 6 and 3N spool. I will just have to dig a little deeper.($) I think you'll find that most people that have those Canyon BG's love em.

LR

#9 ·
I also find LA to be a big advantage. So that limits my decision outside of Ross...I think.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, since there are a lot of LA reels out there. I use Lamson Litespeeds, which are somewhat cheaper than the Canyons. Lamson also has a series called Velocity, which is signficantly cheaper.

#10 ·
Count to ten.

When trying to "figure out" which reel for a new rod, try the following.

1. Try reels for balancing the rod. That is one of the key criteria for making fishing fun, not work. The line should balance at the REAR of your hand with a full spool (so it will balance in the middle of your hand with some line out.)

2. Use a reel with a good drag, the best drag you can afford.

3. If you have an existing reel that meets these, great. If you don't, better start shopping.

4. Maintain the reel well.

I don't have any "favorite" brands - there are some good ones out there (in some surprising off-brands!), and some dogs. But if you get a reel that balances the rod, and has a good drag, and maintain it, your fishing experiences will all be good ones.

BobK

BobK

#11 ·
Greg,
I just meant that for my specific application it didn't really seem like Ross had anything that would suit what I wanted. I looked pretty hard at Gunnisons, but, decided that I didn't want to compramise the LA factor. I glanced over Lamsons and maybe I should take a second look per your comments.

Bob,
Great guidelines...thanks. I just finished the inscription on the 10'6" now and it should be dry tomorrow. I was planning on bringing both rods into the shop and putting a couple reels on both to see how they balance.

LR

#14 ·
hmmmm....

A vortex would be a little heavy for that stick in my opinion. A evotec is my #1 choice, but I really love the Ross's as well.

You should take a look at the Harris's. The drag is awesome, they are light, and made for Great Lakes steelheading exclusivly.

The Battenkill is a nice reel, but it does freeze if you fish hardcore winter steelhead sometimes, the plate over the disc drag isn't the best water sealer!:rolleyes:

#16 ·
Never had a problem....

Never had a freezng problem with the vortex's but they can freeze. Harris's are virtually freeze-less. I have had problems when rigging and accidently dropping the Battenkill in and the disc drag freezes, this happens to a few guide friends of mine who now no longer fish Battenkills.

My buddy Tommy Lynch uses that Tibor Backcountry Wide, great reel for the money....a little gem for steelies! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.