Feather Brain Bay Anchovie [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Feather Brain Bay Anchovie

striblue
01-13-2003, 11:19 PM
Here is a feather brain Bay anchovie.. will collaps more when wet... Hook-1/0 Varivas short.... The usual white bucktail in side for a tail covered by a good clump of pearl Flashabou, Flanks- White rooster Hackles and one pale Yellow Saddle hackle for topping... Stomack- Tip of silver grey schlepin feather and strip of pearl saltwater flash.

boarmountain
01-14-2003, 01:15 PM
John,
From my experience, the fly will compress when stripped, but will "bloom" when paused or drifted. I would want a thinner profile for this type of bait. My .02
Your sili-skin sand eel tied shorter would be my choice, AFTER my little flatwing anchovy:D
Mike

striblue
01-14-2003, 02:04 PM
Good point..but this one will stay somewhat compressed from my tests and becomes actually thinner than the head and goes to a point.. I will show you at sometime... These flies hold their shape usually but this one has liitle bucktail in its body, only the tail section so the hackles do not bug out at a pause..Keep in mind that anchovies go from 1/2 inch to 4 inches.

FishHawk
01-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Tie one with rootbeer color in the fly. Worked for me in the LI Sound. Can't wait to see these Feather Brain flies. FishHawk

DFix
01-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Stri - want to see that taper in the water. Agree with Fish on root beer; also think of a couple strands copper and gold mixed with the root beer to make it taste better.

striblue
01-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the comments but the flash stays inside on these.. This fly breaks down into a perfect sized anchovie when wet as long as there is no inner body bucktail.. I will show you at some time.

flyfisha1
01-15-2003, 01:19 PM
If I were a fish, I'd give that fly one heckuva close look! Very nice tying job.

Eddie
01-15-2003, 03:42 PM
John, very nice. Pictures never tell the whole story, but I would try to have a little more tan color on top, and I would want to imitate that silver lateral line with some "Offshore" Silver Flashabou. It is fatter than the usual flash.
The pearlecent stuff turns pink when back lit, which isn't so bad, but on the Bay Anchovie, the lateral line is really silver and shiny, and that effect is lost when the pearl is backlit(the way fish usually see there prey).