Brooky favorite [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Brooky favorite

Jdesjardins
01-13-2003, 01:08 PM
This is another simple but deadly fly. It's my go to fly for brookies.

Hook: standard nymph or wet fly, #12-16, #14 here
thread: Red if weighted (here) or olive if not
Weight: Small diameter lead
Body: Peacock herl
Collar: Soft hackle, cream to light dun to olive works well.

Simple instructioons for this one. weight the hook, and overwind with thread. tie in 4-6 pieces of peacock herl. wind herl forward & tie off. Wrap 1 1/2 to 3 turns of hackle & tie off.

Fish either by a dead drift or on the swing.

SDHflyfisher
01-28-2003, 05:09 PM
my go to fly for the brookies would have to be a royal wulff in the faster current. then it would be the hatch that is going on at the time in other conditions. i've caught brookies on wulffs when nothing else is happening.

pmflyfisher
01-28-2003, 07:40 PM
That will work and peacock herl is maybe the most versatile trout,salmon, and steelhead fly tying material. Great stuff, just wrap it on the hook and it looks buggy to them.

Have a lot of those types of peacock herl nymphs. I've killed them with the Zug Bug some days.

PM Out

willmullis
02-03-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm new to the fly tying world and that looks easy enough to give it a try. Thanks for sharing PM

juro
02-03-2003, 11:11 AM
JOhn -

What's the photography method and how do I get some? ;)

John Desjardins
02-03-2003, 11:29 AM
Juro, I scaned at 600 dpi, followed by resizing image to fit web constraints in photoshop. I also have a 1/4 " thick spacer separating the glass of the scanner from the platten. I've tried a thicker spacer but it produces a blue tint in the background if I use the autolevels function.