General question for the WebMeister on PM's. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: General question for the WebMeister on PM's.

fredaevans
01-13-2003, 12:29 PM
All of us (at one time or another) have gotten a message saying our "PM" in box was full. There are three main sections to this: New messages; sent messages and message tracking.

How many 'messages' will our 'box' hold? Does the sent/tracking sections fill up part of that number?
fae

pmflyfisher
01-13-2003, 02:06 PM
fyi

When you reach the 2,000 th post milestone the PM message limitation is defaulted to UNLIMITED. :devil:

PM Out

sean
01-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Right now it is 30 and they all count. Thinking about instituting a reaper script that will delete PMs older than 30 days. Would anyone be against that????

-sean

pmflyfisher
01-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Yes, I am saving some old ones I have been to lazy to print.

PM Out

juro
01-13-2003, 03:26 PM
I think we could expand the limit for 1000 posters to 50 and 2000 posters to 100, what do you think Sean?

You'd have to let us know though, we can't track it.

pmflyfisher
01-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Cool, actually I do not use the PMs much, I figure if I cannot say it on the public forumn than why say it at all.;) ;)

I just respond to others as need be.

PM Out

fredaevans
01-13-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher
fyi

When you reach the 2,000 th post milestone the PM message limitation is defaulted to UNLIMITED. :devil:

PM Out

to put a cork in it. This Board has created a MONSTER!:hehe:
fae

Jdesjardins
01-13-2003, 03:46 PM
A reaper script wouldn't bother me if there was a way to mark a pm to be saved. Only a very low percentage of pm's need this. Would a deadline on the message tracking free up resources?

sean
01-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Nah the PMs do not really use up resources. A lot of people have problems though as they forget to clear out the Sent items and cannot figure out what is wrong. We could reap the Sent items cause I would imagine people do not need to keep those around and they take up most of the PMs we have floating about. Last count was about 3500 PMs in the database with the majority being sent PMs.

Basically I am thinking just about helping folks out with the inbox full problems. PMs do not really hurt our bandwidth that much.

-sean

Quentin
01-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Sean and/or Juro:

Is there a way to turn off message tracking? I know how to stop tracking a message that's in the "message tracking" folder, but was wondering if there is a way to shut it off completely so messages don't go into the folder at all.

As for reaping the message folders, I'd like to second the request for a way to mark a message to be saved, for both the inbox and sent items folders.

Thanks!

Q

Quentin
01-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Quentin
. . . Is there a way to turn off message tracking? I know how to stop tracking a message that's in the "message tracking" folder, but was wondering if there is a way to shut it off completely so messages don't go into the folder at all.

AHA ! ! ! Figured it out! I knew I saw it somewhere.

When you send a message you can uncheck the box for "Request Read Receipt" (at bottom of form) and the message will not go into the message tracking folder. You can also uncheck the box for "Save a copy" and it will not put a copy into your sent items folder. It won't keep these changes, so you need to uncheck the boxes each time you send a message.

Q