Fly Fishing Pet Peeves [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Fishing Pet Peeves

cohocola
01-11-2003, 01:40 AM
What is your biggest pet peeves regarding fly fishing?

Mine are...

1. People in conoes cutting in front of your cast...
2. Wind knotts...
3. Back cast "SNAGS" on narrow streams...

Do you have any?

fredaevans
01-11-2003, 07:11 AM
Boaters (guides or not) who move into 'your hole' and anchor their boats. Secondly would be 'campers.' Fly or gear guy who 'picks a rock' and camps on it.

Moonlight
01-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Fred, the same here, only difference is we call them "Homesteaders" rather than campers.

Cohocola, I'm sure over the years alot of little things have been bothersome but the only one that relly stands out in my mind is being "Low Holed". With the crowding that has been occuring in recent years I have developed a rating scale that slides depending on the circumstances. I will try and remain civil and express my view on the state of the pool and the order in which I beleive it should be fished. If I receive a negative response I figure where the slide is setting on the scale and take appropriate action. I do not go fishing to engage in fighting or for that matter even debating. However if left untreated a small wound can become infected and spread. So if it looks like the offending angler is not Psychotic I have been known to reel in my line and walk down to where he or she is fishing and wade right in and start downstream of them. It doesn't take very many applications of this for someone to see that crime doesn't pay.

juro
01-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Full time work hours. Weekend duties. Cold weather. Not enough flyfishing... NOT ENOUGH...

SDHflyfisher
01-11-2003, 12:50 PM
School and bad weather

Speynut
01-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Fred & Moonlight,
You two have captured the source of my greatest irritation. These clowns that will jump in and then park their lazy asses right in front of you while you're swinging a fly down and across through a riffle or glide just kill me.

The worst case I dealt with so far was an idiot that was so clueless he moved in between me and the end of my fly that was on the dangle and then started nymphing. I sarcasticly suggested that maybe I should just give him my two-hander so he could fish my frickin' water for me only to hear a, "huh, what's your problem."

This sort of clueless behavior is something new that nymphers seem to have brought to the Klamath, and I wish that all go back to fishing bait with bobbers.

My apologies to any gentlemen nymphers out there. JB :devil:

Quentin
01-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Here are a few of my pet peeves, in no particular order:

1. People who, through ignorance or inconsideration, place themselves in the area where my backcast is going . . . and stay there!

2. Baitfishermen who begin fishing upcurrent from where I'm already fishing and allow their line(s) to drift across in front of me, or sometimes behind me if I'm on a jetty, so that their line(s) interfere with my ability to cast or fish.

3. Waterskiers, jetskiers and other boaters who enjoy "tearing up the water" in the area where I'm trying to fish.

Q

pmflyfisher
01-11-2003, 03:41 PM
All of the above plus my constantly unraveling leader spools, at least it seem like there is one that always coming undone at an inopportune time.

PM Out

flytyer
01-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Fred, Moonlight, and Speynut,

I agree totally with you on this!

BobK
01-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Quite a few years ago, the local newspaper's "Outdoor Editor" was complaining about a campsite on the Beaverkill. He was working his way up to it to fish "his" favorite stretch in the campsite.

When he got there, he was VERY upset to find a guy paddling around in a rubber tube, escaping from the hot weather.

His complaint in the newspaper article was vehement. He complained about the campsite, the cars, tents, and ESPECIALLY the SOB who was paddling in the rubber tube.

I thought about it, and guess what - the guy in the tube had just as much right to be there as he did. Probably some poor NY City slob, who was having his first encounter with nature, and ENJOYING himself.

So, we have to be very careful about this.

On the other hand, it's too bad we don't have to take a required course in "Fishing Etiquette" before we can buy a fishing license - then MAYBE some of the other fishermen would be a little more thoughtful.

BobK

FishHawk
01-13-2003, 06:08 AM
Guides who put their sports in your spot so that they get fish for their clients. Happened to me on the Big Horn

Guides who are too tired from staying up all night and are not at the top of their game on the day that you booked them.

The regulars who guard the Corner Pool at the Hoosie and make fun of others when they fish their pool.

Guides who cut in front of you when albies are busting.
The cost of flylines.

FishHawk

juro
01-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Sounds like some guides just have no class. I've hiked into remote stretches of river in the rainforest and have had guides anchor driftboats right in my casting angle, worse yet hang some fresh roe and start hooking native steelhead which by the way were bonked and put into the cooler (legally, just my personal angst), forcing me to poke around a little and leave with a cast or two to show for miles of walking.

But being a seasonal shore guide on the flats myself as well as an avid recreational angler it's a two way street as is everything in life, and some guides insist on proper ettiquette while others (perhaps unknowingly) disrupt the opportunity for them.

When I have people out it blows my mind that some people go all the way out the the Monomoy flats to go stand chest deep in a row in the middle of the advance lane and blind cast for hours, catching nothing and killing the fishing for the entire flat structure ahead of it. Why go to Monomoy to blind cast? It's the worst thing they can do there.

Guide or not, some folks will drop their boat and anchor in three feet of water on the flats right in the sight lane where shore anglers walked two miles over soft sand to reach. Of course the fish all swim around them and no one sees anything as long as they are there.

Maybe it's not guides verses recreational anglers but those who know but don't care, those who don't know any better, and those who get screwed by both of the above.

Some guys aren't even fishing - I've had kayaker's drop down the chute above my pool and start doing eskimo rolls right in the heart of the run!

Just wanted to say it's not whether you're a guide or not but about courtesy and/or knowing what's going on. :)

speybum
01-13-2003, 07:23 AM
TIME

aknightinak
01-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Spinfishers who don't know how to share the water or worse, make every effort to hang your line off their treble hooks.

OC
01-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Most guides are great gentlemen and women. But guides that run this new idea of fly fishing schools with classes of 6 to 15 people on a river does not sit well with me. The idea of needing to show people every run, every holding spot seems so foolish to me. It's becoming cast like me use what I use and you will have instant sucess, monkey see monkey do. And maybe they will suceed but they have missed out on so much that is beautiful in fly fishing. Fly fishing to me should be on the most part an exploration of ones own ability to learn and enjoy that learning experience about a river, the way they develope as an induvidual and a fly fisherman. Just seems that there are a lot of fly fishermen out there who don't know how to enjoy the slow process that make fly fishing so great. And those folks are missing so much of what fly fishing is about.

The other one that I know will not go over well here is the clave idea. Not against fly fishermen coming together to have a good time. Spey type claves should be held in parks and not on the rivers. Reason? If 10 or 15 people get together and take a place on a river and that effects someone elses even one other persons day on the river then it's no different than above paragraph. I feel we need to walk more softly as fly fishermen. Got to feel bad for the guy that was planing to plunk some bait, gear or even fly fish after a hard week of work at his favorite spot only to have a bunch of guys come down and take over. It has never happened to me but know those who were very disapointed when it did happen to them. We the fly fishermen have become a group mentality more and more as time goes on. Fly fishing has always had a place for friendship and sharing ideas but it used to be done in a much gentler way than is sometimes done today. Just something to think about.

The fish are begining to show in places I'm going fishing for a couple of days, hope you all find time to get out and fish on all the beautiful rivers, ponds and bays in your areas.

willmullis
01-13-2003, 03:43 PM
I have to make a plan and take time off work for just about any time I go fly fishing (not much locally) It just drives me crazy when the weatherman calls for great weather and I drive several hours only to find horrible weather. That's the worse.

neac9
01-18-2003, 02:18 AM
Well, while not being the best typist, speller or storyteller I feel I must respond to this. I have many pet peeves however on 1 day this August it all came to a head on a jetty in southern R.I.
Where to begin, 4 am we began the 90 min drive to the beach and are pleasantly surprised, lot not full and room on the wall mix of fly and gear guys casting about.
we walk toward the end finding good position see fish busting at my feet and thinking them to be blues I await the albies , that only last so long as the water below me looks ready for the pasta so I cast and am hooked up in seconds as I thought a small blue shake him off and go back to the waiting game. A few more mins pass I make another cast and again on as soon as the fly drops to my delight this blue has stripes and about 30 inches long and this is the 1 such fish in a string of six in a row all 30 to 34 in long.
Well, now the day turns to crap the action brings all the gear guys to my side. Pet peeve #1 FISH OR NOT GIVE A GUY ROOM TO FISH all casting in front of me which is no big deal I can fish over and under them and still hook up. More to my enjoyment the bass didn't want bait but peanut bunker and I was casting a beauty (thanks slinger). Few cast later and I'm on a big fish runs me down the wall biggest I've ever hit on a fly could go 40 plus big thick tail pushing away just under the surface (Pet peeve 2 IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO RESPECT A GUY THAT'S HOOKED UP STAY THE HELL HOME) when the guy to my right cast over me and hooks my line with his tin lure now it hangs from my line as I fight. (pet peeve 3 IF YOU HAVE NO COMMON SENSE STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM OTHERS) Rather then walking to me and lifting his line over mine he rearsback and pulls his rod to pop his lure over me SNAP off goes my bass.
OK after a tiered and a flurry of insults he leave. And, a few fish later is replaced a two men walks up older guy sets his rod up close to me to close but that's OK I can still fish his rocket scientist son sets up in my backcast I tell him nicely if you set up there I cant fish with him there. Well, he tell me that's why he hates flyfisherman OK (PET PEEVE 4 IGNORANT, LAZY, SMELLY, TRASH DUMPING, BAIT SLINGING CANT WAKE UP IN TIME TO GET A GOOD SPOT ON THE WALL PEOPLE THAT FEEL WE OWE THEM A SPOT BECAUSE THE SPENT 5 BUCKS ON A FLAT OF BAIT) SO I tell him what I think of his fishing style and he tells me that "I don't have to get like that "yet he can hate me. Anyway, I catch a few more fish the count 1 blue 12 bass a few brake offs one of which took 40 feet of flyline I think thanks to the guy with the tin bait most likely put a nick in my line. But, I'm albie fishing lol so I move inside fish busting inside the inlet all alibis and I'm in heaven only 2 other guys inside
I set up at the edge of the parking lot the lot is empty room to cast God I'm lucky (not with the albies though) on my third cast a truck pulls right in back of me (THE WHOLE LOT IS VOID OF CARS) ruining my cast so I look back and ask him if he could move please and his passenger says "well I thought this was a parking lot" well I'm not a big man but just big enough that the look I gave the driver brought him to his senses. With that I ended my day went home and caught **** from my mother in law because I took the Am off to go fishing (**** I own the garage I work at)
PET PEEVE 5 MY MOTHER IN LAW

fredaevans
01-18-2003, 06:57 AM
something to behold! Sounds like childs play after that description. Interesting (personal observation only), with few notable exceptions I get all the room I need with a spey rod during the run. The 'one handers' get evil looks.
fae

Moonlight
01-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Ncea9. Thats quite a yarn sounds like alot of what they refer to as "Terminal Areas" out on the Left Coast. I assume that was not an average day hopefully it depicted the worst day on the water in your life!

Stew
01-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Getting cutoff when working a stretch of water. Happened on the Deschutes last summer by another fly fisher! He finished working the run and cut right in front of us :mad:

tonyd
01-19-2003, 03:49 AM
One word...WINTERKILL!Nothing sucks more for a stillwater angler than looking forward to fishing a favourite trophy lake and finding out that the lake winterkilled.When that happens you can write that lake off for a couple of years or so until newly stocked fish can grow to similar sizes.That is of course providing that the lake does not winterkill AGAIN within the next year or two.

boarmountain
01-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Bob, the guy in the rubber tube MIGHT have as much right to be there, but consider this;
The fisherman bought a license to be on the water, did the tuber?
We, as sportsman, pay for the resource we use though license fees ,11% taxes on our gear and our financial support of different organizations(TU,TGF,ect).
The tuber paid NOTHING for his use of the resource.
Something to think about........

BobK
01-19-2003, 10:10 PM
The REAL difference is the guy in the tube paid the PRIVATE campsite to camp and "recreate" there. The campsite owner was nice enough NOT to post his private property from fisherman. That's the difference.

Not to throw rocks at us sportsmen - we just have to realize that oftentimes we are "guests" on unposted (but private) land, and we have to share with others. Also, pick up after ourselves and others to keep good relations.

There was just no real reason for this editor to really have to cuss this poor guy out.

BobK