Favorite hatch [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Favorite hatch

cohocola
01-11-2003, 01:12 AM
What is your favorite hatch to fish?
Mine is the big Michigan Caddis (hexagenia lambda) hatch.

The fish be going crazy...:eyecrazy:
And what fish would not like that big, juicy hunk of mayfly cuisine?
I never fished a stonefly hatch, but I want to...

Post your faveroite hatch.

fredaevans
01-11-2003, 07:28 AM
most spectacular thing to watch on the upper Rogue is when the Salmon flys and the caddis let it rip in the fall. The air is actually black from the millions and millions of these things hatching all at the same time.

But with so much "free food" it really screws up the fishing, or rather I should say, the catching.
fae

Adrian
01-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Thats a tough call. Back in my stillwater days, summer evenings would fall into a set pattern:

First would come caenis (white curse) at sunset. Bazillions of them coming off in clouds to the pointwhere you could hardly breath. Trout going nuts but not a taker anywhere. Most anglers would leave frustrated - which suited me just fine because .....

..as the light dropped into the gloaming, the caenis would die down and the sedge hatch would start. About the same time the females would start their egg-dropping, surface skimming routine all of which which sent the trout completely nuts. Tie on a well greased G&H or dearhair pattern and rip it across the glassy surface - slash, crash bang!!! And if that wasn't enough, as the last of the light completely faded into darkness, the midges would start to hatch. We're talking serious chironomids here - about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long. On go the emergers, a short cast and wait for the dimple to shatter the reflection of a million mid-summer nights stars.

SDHflyfisher
01-11-2003, 12:54 PM
I like fishing stones in CT but my favorite hatch has to be well anything small, espesialy midges

Dble Haul
01-11-2003, 01:56 PM
I'd have to say Hendricksons and Isonychia because I can see them. :D

Moonlight
01-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Because for the first time I was asked to choose a favorite hatch. My mouth is watering just thinking about all those great hatches that happen around the West and up North.

Favorite? After a short consideration I would say without a doubt the one I am thinking about or fishing at the moment. Totaly junked out for Dry Fly action are I.

flytyer
01-11-2003, 08:50 PM
Without a doubt the Hydropsychidae caddis hatch in Montana. It last for two months during the summer, and it provides incredible dry fly fishing in the evenings to those who know its secrets. Second favorite would be a toss-up between stillwter Damsel Fly and riverine Pale Morning Dun.

BobK
01-12-2003, 08:58 AM
My all time favorite is the hatch of Pale Morning Duns on the Firehole (Yellowstone NP) at the season opener (Memorial Day weekend).

Pre-hatch, the rainbows feed ravenously on BH flashback pheasant tail nymphs, then when the hatch starts, switch to dry PMDs. The hatch lasts about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The start and finish is so scheduled, you can almost set your watch by it! After the hatch, it is back to nymphs, but the action backs off a wee bit.

But there are fishing hazards hazards there - last trip, I got chased across the Firehole by a bull buffalo - while trying to unhook/release a rainbow, then another damn fish grabbed my fly when I was about 2/3 of the way across! Talk about excitement! (I was wishing I had a Sharps .50-110 "persuader" instead of a fly rod in my hands!)

BobK:D

FishHawk
01-13-2003, 06:24 AM
BWO(Baetis) on the Missouri and Hoosey. Talk about a trying to solve the puzzle. Next would be the black caddis hatch on the Big Horn in Sept. Hatch so thick you had trouble breathing.
FishHawk

BigDave
01-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Hendricksons in the spring because there's nothing better than a big fish crashing a sz 14 parachute.

Sulphurs on summer evenings are always special as they round out the big adult mayfly cycle for the year...

Jdesjardins
01-13-2003, 09:47 AM
The most fun to fish is egglaying dragonflies for sunfish & bass. The favorite is whatever is hatching when I'm fishing.

pmflyfisher
01-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Hendricksons, Hexigenia limbata, and terresterials (hoppers, ants, beetles)

PM Out

Lipripper
01-13-2003, 01:49 PM
Tricos on the Missouri. Nothing quite like an entire 10' x 20' surface area of podded up, feeding trout. My favorite native hatch (Michigan) is Hendricksons. I could do without the Hex hatch. It draws way too much attention and traffic for what it actually is.

LR

pmflyfisher
01-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Michigan hex because it is unique.

Whats the new avatar picture the release of a steelhead or brown, i cannot make it out ?:confused:

PM Out

flytyer
01-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Lipripper,

The Hydropsyche caddis egg laying in the summer evenings on the Missouri is even more awsome as the Tricos. The fish move into the shallows and make the smooth water look like it is a riffle. The only problem is that the fish become very selective to how the fly moves on the water. If you don't get it right, you to fishless. I lived in Cascade on the banks of the Missouri for 6 years. Some of the greatest dry fly fishing for trout anywhere. During a good hatch, one can hook 12 or more trout 12 to 18 inches long in an hour.

Lipripper
01-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Hal, a smallish steely from that local trib.;)

Flytyer, My buddy and I make the Journey out west every summer and we always hit the Mo. The first morning we floated down and I saw the pods of risers I couldn't quite make it out. "Is that a riffle??? What is that??? It looks like......OH MY GOD, THOSE ARE FRIGGIN RISERS!" I just sat there in awe and disbelief. We have made it a mandatory stop on every trip. Last summer, instead of paying for car spots we just thumbed rides back upstream to the truck while the other waited with the boat. Niether of us could catch anything after dark. You MUST tell me the secret before this summer. I'll keep it on the DL and Volunteer (Cause I am such a nice guy) to stay with the boat.:hehe:

LR

PS Do spring floods and creeks flushing baitfish into the main river count as a "hatch"? STREAMERS!

andrew
01-15-2003, 09:40 PM
I would have to go with the Isonychia. You can fish the entire hatch, from nymph to emerger to fly to spinner, and still get home just after dark....Probably my wife's favorite as well, and she doesn't fish. Keeps me out of the house for a while, but gets me home at a reasonable hour...