dubbing question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: dubbing question

Jeff
01-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Ok so last night I sat down to tie some flies and noticed my dubbing selection was pretty bad. I was wondering what everyone was using for dubbing?

Hareline used to make stuff called seal clone that I haven't found for years and it was my favorite. Still have half a bag of black and about 1 or two files worth of Orange left. The orange is the best I have seen I can't find the same color in anything.

Have a couple of small bags of Seal (Yes Legal stuff) and it is nice but don't use it much because I don't have much. Any one out there have a seal dubbing source? I think I went through castle arms a number of years ago when I got it. I might just break down and use more it as it looks so good.

The question just popped into my head as I am trying to avoid work this afternoon.

JJ

juro
01-10-2003, 04:28 PM
I second the vote on dyed seal, nothing like it - found some great stuff up in BC recently. Another great (although somewhat expensive) substitute is SLF. Each dubber has his/her fav blend I'm sure but the reason I like this stuff is it can be broken to length with the fingers.

For more buggy dubbing applications I like Scintilla for it's body and ease of use.

Certain angora / synthetic blends are hot on steelie patterns as well.

Good luck

sean
01-10-2003, 04:37 PM
I use a mixture of 60-40 SLF / Angora and it seems to work for me.

Not as nice as seal though.

I know you can get some from our friends in the UK:

http://www.fishermensfeathers.com/usa/seals.htm

Not sure on the legality though of seal in the US and if you are in the market for some jungle cock it is the place to get it.

-sean

flytyer
01-10-2003, 10:27 PM
Juro is right on about the SLF, it is very nice stuff. Angora is also very nice to use, in fact, it was the prefered substitute for seal by the old masters of the full dressed featherwing (Kelson, Francis, Hale, Hardy, etc.). I also like Scintilla too because it has very nice colors, easy dubbing, and good body.

I also make my own dubbing to be able to get the color I want. My hot orange dubbing is made from florrescent hot orange yarn I buy in a yarn shop by the skein (about #2.00). I cut it up into 1/2 to 5/8 inch pieces and combine it with some cut up orange Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn and orange antron for sparkle. It makes a terrific hot orange dubbing. I do the same for how pink, just use pink rug yarn and hot pink antron. Chartreuse and not green yarns are blended with light green or cream rug yarn and chartreuse or hot green antron.

Yarn shops offer a plethora of possibilities if you use a little imagination.

cohocola
01-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Fox and Beaver under-fur top my list...

But for the softest, easiest, and most unusual dubbing there is, try BELLY-BUTTON LINT... :eek:

Yuck, Gag.... :eyecrazy:

OK, how many just looked at your belly buttons and wondered... hmmmm?

Just joking People, it's beaver and fox for me.

pastortd
01-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Ronn Lucas Sr's. "Iridescent Dubbing". Coarse, bright dubb that's just right for a lot of Salmon Steelhead patterns! His Stunning Shrimp is perfect for GPs and Polar Shrimp patterns. rlucas@cybcon.com

Ronn also describes a seal imitation that can be made from calftail. Very interesting!

cohocola
01-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I pulled a load of my workpants out of the dryer and what did I see in the lent trap?

A heaping handfull of cotton fiber dubbing....

I forgot to use a dryer sheet so the wad of lent is unsented...

I was bored and thought, "what the heck" I'll give it a try...

Guess what?
It works fine as dubbing and spins well...
Want orange dubbing, dry a red and yellow towel...
I can't believe I've been throwing this stuff away for years.

Just remember to use unsented dryer sheets, there's nothing worse than static-cling nymphs...:hehe:

speyman
01-13-2003, 12:45 PM
I agree with
pastortd , the dubbing from Ronn Lucas is awesome. It is the only stuff I carry in my shop. It has the natural qualities of peacock herl or seal fur, it sparkles but not too much. Colors are made from dozens of natural and synthetic fibres resulting in a very natural look. Combine this with some of my natural brown or black spey hackle and you have flies that have that natural glow which Steelhead cannot resist. If you need help locating any of this stuff give me a ring, (425) 922-5413.

BigDave
01-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Not sure what type of flies we're talking about here but I use mostly stonefly-style patterns for chrome...

I like any type of hare-tron for it's translucence and ease of use. I tend to loose a lot of flies when steelheading so I try to keep it simple. I was taught by a friend that spinning the bobbin helps flare the guard hairs and keeps things together before wrapping the hook

For the really buggy patterns, I love a dyed natural hare's mask with all of those guard hairs in a dubbing loop...

NrthFrk16
01-14-2003, 12:33 AM
I have actually been tying with the Hareline STS Trilobal dubbing as of late...its inexpensive, dubs easily, has lots of great colors and most importantly, it catches fish!!!

Whiskey Dick
01-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Hey Sparkey, have you tried any of Hareline"s ice Dub?the holographic colors look interesting, tight lines,brian

sinktip
01-14-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm with Sparkey on the Trilobal. Also have been using the icedub quite a bit and liking it. The UV Black is killer stuff!

flytyer
01-15-2003, 12:07 AM
Sinktip and Ryan,

Try mixing the Harline STS Tri-lobal and Icedub together.

NrthFrk16
01-15-2003, 12:37 AM
WD-
I have dubbed with the Ice Dub and I have produced some patterns that have caught fish...I prefer the 'softness' of the Trilobal as Ice Dub is coarser and a little more difficult to get that teased look I am after on certain flies.

flytyer-
Thanks for the suggestion! :)