Next Rip Trip - July 28th (SAT) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Next Rip Trip - July 28th (SAT)

juro
07-19-2001, 05:20 PM
I propose the next trip to the rip for Sat, July 28th. I've attached a link to the current pre-paid priority list... HERE (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2001/july28.htm)... but even if you are not on that list you could still get on the boat. This is just the list of paid waiting list people. If they do not elect to use their seating priority there will be open seats.

Reply here and you will be put on the list in the order you reply.

Thanks,
Juro

If you prepaid and don't see your name, sorry! Just let me know and I will correct it.

MarkDoogue
07-19-2001, 07:07 PM
I'll be grinding through 36 holes of a 54 hole golf tournament in New York that Saturday. I wish I could make it but my other passion must take precedent that weekend.

Hmmm.........any wagers on the greater of the two totals, my total putts for the 36 holes on Saturday vs. the total number of Rip Trip fish landed?

Craig
07-19-2001, 07:35 PM
Count me in!

Adrian
07-19-2001, 07:54 PM
I too will be chasing the little white ball that week-end. In fact I'm planning on giving my (now) second passion some air time during the month of August. September will see me back on the water with a vengeance! I may be making a trip back accross the pond that month too and there's this remote sandbar about a two mile walk out on an awasesome surf beach which ..........hmmmmm ;-)

shadfreak
07-19-2001, 08:10 PM
Juro

I would like to go on Sat. I will be in Maine all next week until Friday. I won't have computer access until I get home. If for some reason I can't make it I will cover the cost with my fee if no one can fill my spot at the last minute. 8)

MarkDoogue
07-19-2001, 09:01 PM
No golf for me so count me in if I fit on the list.

artb
07-19-2001, 09:28 PM
Juro, when you first listed the rip trips I prepaid, and the first trip I was listed #11 whats happening? or is it like the hat?

juro
07-19-2001, 09:49 PM
Art -

I apologize, you must have paid by check (?). I just took a few moments during the work day (which I am still working on at this moment) to extract a spreadsheet from the paypal account and put together a list.

I knew there might be an issue with it, that's why I included the subnote in the above post. I do apologize. Let me go back to the previous roster and merge the two lists. I somehow remembered Bardy (who also sent a check). None of the checks have been cashed, they are at home on my desk in a file.

I recently attended a website management seminar, where they named the 'best practice' for a production site to be a minimum of 3 people, and optimally 10 people (various roles listed). I thought... man I am screwed!

Art, with utmost sincerity I have nothing but appreciation for your participation and any lack of my ability to get things done is not intentional. I have in fact put together a number of parcels that need to be shipped out and yours is particularly remiss on my part. That day I called to speak with you I was already feeling guilty about my responsiveness (or lack thereof). I thought I gave a hat to Ray at the tying clave last winter to give you but I now realize that it must have been for somebody else Ray was visiting that day.

I think this raises a grim reality for the future of the forum - it must evolve into a more distributed effort or there will be no hats, trip organization, etc - just a site like millions out there. I hope this is not the outcome, but the challenge will be real and probably get more real as time goes on.

I should get out of work in about 20 minutes, and need to be back in early for a mgmt report due in the morning. I'll get it taken care of and cut back on the commitments I make in the future.

Please accept my apologies, freind.

juro
07-19-2001, 09:57 PM
Just searched all the prepays and couldn't find your name in the paypal account. I found your info on the form to express your interest and get you on the mail list, but as stated in multiple posts I made recently that's a general sign up for spots not taken by prepaid folks and the priority goes to prepaid ryders. I am sure you sent a check so consider yourself in the prepaid list, if you are interested in the 28th consider yourself on the roster.

Should I add your name to the interested rip trippers? Just let me know and you're on.

regards,
Juro

FishHawk
07-20-2001, 04:36 AM
I'm in can't wait to go. Will start tying like mad for the trip. Have a fund raising idea for the winter months. Why not put together a CD of saltwater tips and techniques to sell on line.
FishHawk

artb
07-20-2001, 05:45 AM
Juro, I sent my check on 6/22/01 check no 328. I would like to, but I wanted to go when you are. Seeing as I have never eyeballed you.
I still think this is a great bunch of guys, and you are to be commended for running the board by yourself, that means a lot of time and commitment. In the past I have sent e-mail without an answer. I have trouble answering my 3 or 4 pieces of e-mail, never mind 20 or 50 pieces a day. Thanks for letting this old man to post, I have met many guys that I would like to call "friend." RI south shore has not been that great with the shorefront restrictions "Piping Plovers" Been catching schoolies only in Quonochotaug Pond. Shrimp flies work as well as "Ray's Flies"

juro
07-20-2001, 06:17 AM
Thanks Art, I'm stopping by the post office today. I am also very anxious to meet you in person although that Rhodyfest a few years back was a close call!

Nick - I'll bring one of each color I've got left this weekend.

TomD - I'll put same in a box in my truck for the next time we meet.

Bardy - yours will go in the mail today as well.

I think those are the only outstanding chapeauz, please hit me up if I am wrong (squeaky wheels are OK with me!).

Looking forward to fishing with you guys again,

Juro

doogue
07-20-2001, 07:03 AM
Art,

I am not saying that you are attacking Juro, especially given your praise for him in your last post. I really do believe that you have a legitimate gripe concerning the Rip Trip and the hat. You are entitled to your spot on the Rip Trip as well as your hat. That being said, your valid comments have motivated me to share some observations that I have made while contributing to this forum.

Personally, I find Juro's dedication to the site both honorable and amazing in scope. Juro and I have had a chance to fish together a number of times this year and each time we head out on the water the man unselfishly shares both his time and his knowledge without complaint. This magnanimous behavior also extends to his time off of the water. I cannot tell you how many detailed e-mails he has sent in reply to the questions of this neophyte angler. Impressive. He is an individual that truly seems to enjoy helping and teaching others. That is a rare personality trait in this fast paced day and age. He is a man that is truly dedicated to our Coastal Striped Bass Fishery. He is also a tough bastard that extends tons of personal time and effort towards this site without complaint. Amazing.

Now I am not kissing Juro's backside in the hope that he will reveal some of his most secret fishing locales via secret e-mail. I am just trying to motivate people - people like myself - to help out with the forum and take some of the pressure off of Juro. Think about how much you missed the Forum when the site's hosting company imploded and you could not get on Flytalk for a few days. That episode only reinforced the fact that I truly value and enjoy this site. There would certainly be a void in my life as a friend and a fisherman if this site went down. I bet that you would agree with me on this point.

Sadly, despite Juro's ample talent and drive, I do not think that he can continue to effectively maintain the site with such a Herculean solo effort. Someday the effort will wear him down, the site will suffer, and we will all be to blame. I think that this time is a long way off but I still fear the day that it arrives.

As I sit here in my glass house I am reminded that I should not throw stones. I have not helped out with the Forum in any appreciable ways. Guys like Roop and John Morin kick in ample help and I have not done the same. I vow to do more for the site in the future - even simple tasks that take a few hours of work off of Juro's plate. Maybe I could earn to make sign up sheets for claves or write some HTML code for Juro. Maybe I could be in charge of distributing some of the forum loot (hats). Next season, with a Spring Clave, a Rip Trip and a Bone Clave under my belt I vow to meister a clave or two. Anyway, my point is that I want to help out with the site and I hope that all of you that appreciate the site are willing to do the same. We cannot use family obligations and trying work schedules as excuses for not offering up an hour or two a week because I guarantee that Juro has every right to offer up the same excuses, but he doesn't.

Juro, thank you for your help this season and I commend you on this excellent site. If there is anything that I can help you out with concerning the site I want you to e-mail me or call me and we can talk about it.

Thanks to you all for putting up with my Friday morning diatribe. Hopefully I will see some of you guys out on the water this weekend.

-Mike Doogue

Adrian
07-20-2001, 07:20 AM
Mike

Excellent points and the same thought has occurred to me and I'm sure everyone else on the board - it's that kind of group! I know from personal experience how time consuming it is to put together even the most rudimentary web site and this site is infinitely more sophisticated than that. Add to that the the organizational efforts of putting things like rip trips and claves together and your talking some serious hours of dedication.

It feels like we've grown to the point where some divisions of labor are called for. This forum has given me so much and I feel guilty at not giving something back. I'll throw my name in the hat.

This topic probably deserves it's own thread - Juro, tell us how we can help.

doogue
07-20-2001, 07:50 AM
I agree that this topic deserves its own thread and I did not mean to contaminate this one!

Good point.

juro
07-20-2001, 09:27 AM
I really appreciate the words of support, it's a labor of love for sure and well worth it. Like Thoreau said "walk confidently in the direction of your dreams" and although our financial model doesn't quite permit "living the life we always dreamed" I believe you either move backward or move ahead and little by little the snowball is rolling. It's been an awesome year, and I'll bet we won't forget the experience wherever it ends up.

That being said, I am definitely remiss in a lot of these things, although I don't feel bad about the time and effort I do put into it, it could absolutely be said that I am ridiculously unresponsive with my current load. I pledge to be more responsive with the commitments I make or reduce the number of commitments.

The sharing of tasks would be the greatest thing that could happen and a timely step forward in our growth. Hats are almost gone. Raffles need to be closed out. There are soooo many backlogged tasks on the plate. Not that bribery is necessary, BUT I have several sponsor items (obtained in exchange for ads) that need to be distributed - reels, charter trips, etc. Our policy is to return favors with these sponsor bartered items for members who give their time and effort. As you know I do not accept any of these items for myself and they all need to be given out each season for the break-even zero profit policy of this site.

Thanks all for the acknowledgement as well as the timely kick in the ass Art! I see this all as a positive discussion and knowing the folks here it will move us forward in a big way.

Yes there should be another thread to brainstorm ideas.

Dave
07-20-2001, 12:46 PM
Hi Juro,
Can I get in for the Rip Trip on 7/28? I'd love to go!
Dave Williams

MarkDoogue
07-20-2001, 06:23 PM
You've got another member of the Doogue clan on your side as far as I'm concerned. I'd be shocked if my dad wouldn't echo the very same sentiment.

I derive great pleasure from reading the reports, sometimes laughing out loud at the sheer comedy they contain. I benefit from the contributions of others thoughts and opinions 365 days a year with this site. Whether or not I get a chance to commune on the water with you all has no bearing on the amount of support that I'm willing to offer. I look at opportunities to spend face to face time with the members of this forum as icing on the cake.

I'll do anything that is asked of me if it supports the common good of this vehicle.

Reno
07-23-2001, 09:06 AM
Juro,
I'd like to get in on the 7/28 rip trip if there's room. I really enjoyed that last one and can't wait to get out there again. it was a great experience.Also, can you direct me to the link where I can remit a credit card payment? I can't readily find it.
Thanx,
Bob Renauld

labrax
07-23-2001, 08:14 PM
Juro,

I would like to sign up for a spot on the 28th. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we will all have an enjoyable time. I heard that the temp is supposed to drop on Thursday and be in the 70's for the weekend. Just had a weeks vacation in southern Maine and didn't do more than a few hours of fishing. Would certainly welcome the opportunity to head to the Cape.

Pete

juro
07-23-2001, 08:26 PM
Reno (07-23-2001 10:06 a.m.):
Juro,
I'd like to get in on the 7/28 rip trip if there's room. I really enjoyed that last one and can't wait to get out there again. it was a great experience.Also, can you direct me to the link where I can remit a credit card payment? I can't readily find it.
Thanx,
Bob Renauld

Bob-

Here you go...

http://flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2001/deposit.htm

Hope to see you there!

juro
07-23-2001, 08:31 PM
Dave (07-20-2001 01:46 p.m.):
Hi Juro,
Can I get in for the Rip Trip on 7/28? I'd love to go!
Dave Williams

Dave -

I'll put you on the list right now, you can secure your seat at this link:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2001/deposit.htm

Regards,
Juro

juro
07-23-2001, 08:38 PM
MiddleDoogue (07-20-2001 07:23 p.m.):
You've got another member of the Doogue clan on your side as far as I'm concerned. I'd be shocked if my dad wouldn't echo the very same sentiment.

I derive great pleasure from reading the reports, sometimes laughing out loud at the sheer comedy they contain. I benefit from the contributions of others thoughts and opinions 365 days a year with this site. Whether or not I get a chance to commune on the water with you all has no bearing on the amount of support that I'm willing to offer. I look at opportunities to spend face to face time with the members of this forum as icing on the cake.

I'll do anything that is asked of me if it supports the common good of this vehicle.

Thanks again and I truly appreciate everything you've already done. It's great to have the support of such a fine family.

I look forward to some quality time on the water soon - hopefully with the whole Doogue clan!

juro
07-23-2001, 08:42 PM
Latest roster for the weekend...
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2001/july28.htm

Did I miss anyone? We need three more, two if Bardy can work out a few details. One if my wife will let me abandon her on her day off, etc.

Craig will be one of the chaperones for the trip, he had particularly good luck on the last trip and is going again.

labrax
07-23-2001, 11:37 PM
Juro,

In looking over the list for this weekend - Larry P. may be double counted, although he may have signed up for two spots.

I may be able to scare up one or two other anglers for the trip if there is a need for more people.

Pete

bardy
07-24-2001, 07:23 AM
Hey Juro
I hope you got my e-mail. If you have enough room I would like to go on the Rip Trip this Saturday. I hope to see you Saturday early A.M
Bardy

juro
07-24-2001, 07:40 AM
bardy (07-24-2001 08:23 a.m.):
Hey Juro
I hope you got my e-mail. If you have enough room I would like to go on the Rip Trip this Saturday. I hope to see you Saturday early A.M
Bardy

Yep - I mentioned that above. All I can tell you is that there is cheap lodging around the Yarmouth area and the run down 28 in the morning is cake. That sounds about average for a place to crash, try the Chamber of Commerce for more info. You might try posting to see who's around this weekend on the cape or consider camping. I usually crash in my truck when the cottage is full and it's full this weekend... with my wife and kids!

I will update the roster.

MarkDoogue
07-24-2001, 03:15 PM
Sorry to say guys but I can't make the next Rip Trip. My wife just informed me that the family from Va. is now coming Sat. instead of Sun.. A Rip Trip would just eat-up too much of the day and make the usual dinner get together a hassle.(we did agree that a quick run to Chatham Light Sat. morning wouldn't muddy the waters). Sorry for the imposition. Feel free to add my fare if you can't fill my slot. Jim D.

juro
07-26-2001, 07:17 AM
Wind's laying down and coming light from the north, the weather is supposed to be wonderful and the fishing always promises to be great.

We are short a couple people as it stands, do we give Pete's friends the seats or does anyone else want to take the trip Saturday?

This Saturday is my wife's first Saturday away from work since summer started and it would be ill advised for me to be gone all day unless she tells me to get lost herself. Still working on that one. ;-)

You'll get great advice from those who have gone before, please let them know how much you appreciate their sharing spirit and camaraderie. Craig Miller, who by the way was the designated fish magnet on the last trip, is the chaperone for this trip.

Based on the Estey Trio's recent report my guess is that the fishing will be at it's best. Fish 'em deep in the rip, which won't require any waiting for, and hang on tight when those fish run for Nantucket!

Unless the prepaid crew wants to carpe diem, the spare seats will be opened up to Pete's buddies...

labrax
07-26-2001, 09:02 AM
I have one other friend who is a definite - my other buddy is calling me back, and I will know within an hour or two if he can commit to going. If there is additional room, I may know of another person that I could ask.

Pete

Dave
07-26-2001, 11:28 AM
What time is the boat leaving Saturday morning?
Dave Williams

juro
07-26-2001, 11:39 AM
Rip Ryder leaves from the refuge at 7am sharp, you should be at the causeway at 6:30. You will return around 4:00-4:30pm, back at the refuge by 5.

Pack light but don't leave anything out - like water and snacks. If the seas get snotty they can only evacuate you from the north end and you might need to get up there (although it's very unlikely at this point). Therefore the footwear choice should consider a possible walk.

The trip is not confirmed until Keith confirms it. I will call him again shortly.

You don't really need waders for this trip, but breathables work. You don't want to stand very far in the water anyway, the fish are at your feet during max current.

You will need sunblock. I like to dress in layers so you can peel back or add on as needed. Expected temps are high 70's with wind out of the north although things could change up until departure.

I will give the check to Rip Ryder, thanks for those who prepaid and made this easy.

juro
07-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Anyone else in?

With Pete's friend there are eight people... we can take two-three more.

ROSTER (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/Pointrip2001/july28.htm)

striblue
07-26-2001, 03:51 PM
Juro... if you are short... I will go, but only in that case.

labrax
07-26-2001, 04:13 PM
Juro,

My other friend confirmed that he cannot make it - sorry for the dealy in posting this info - work has been hectic today. I only have one friend able to make the trip. We will be at the causeway at 6:30am.

Thanks,

Pete

juro
07-26-2001, 06:20 PM
striblue (07-26-2001 04:51 p.m.):
Juro... if you are short... I will go, but only in that case.

Hey who are you callin' short? ;-)

OK - I am shorter than... Roop for instance - but my fish ain't! }>

Seriously, please let me know if you are going to rip it so I can close these arrangements out.

Juro

(Fred Abrahamson Photo)

juro
07-26-2001, 06:46 PM
Wind situation looking real good for Sat - fat isobars and 10 mph out of the N/NW according to the intellicast Windcast (link at top of page)

juro
07-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Getting down to the wire!

Bardy's car broke down so he's out, leaving 7 people on what appears to be the best day so far for the trip. We'll lose $90 (3 fares) but I would like to run it anyway. I have the feeling it's going to be stellar and those who go will come back with tales that will make us all regret not going.

I encourage people to consider it or else get someone else to fill a seat!!

Reno
07-27-2001, 02:21 PM
Juro,
I'm ready to go even if there's only 7 to share the cost.

JimW
07-27-2001, 03:34 PM
I wish I could. Between work and home, I don't see it happening.

doogue
07-27-2001, 04:11 PM
Well,

Now you have 9 for the trip. I convinced the out of towners in my family that they would just have to wait to hang out with my Dad and I.

So, add Mike Doogue and Jim Doogue to the list of Rip Trippers.

See you tomorrow morning.

-Mike

doogue
07-27-2001, 04:14 PM
Oh yeah...and Borkowski...you have a ride down with my Dad and I if you are interested.

MarkDoogue
07-27-2001, 05:28 PM
Oooooh, you sly dogs.

Think of it this way, I'm leaving for Rochester, NY at around 7:30 this evening. That puts me at my destination around the same time you guys are leaving for the Rip Trip.

OUCH!!

I wish I was sticking around to battle the stripers, seals and sharks......

Farewell and adieu........

~Mark

shadfreak
07-27-2001, 06:40 PM
Juro I want to go and will be there even if it cost more money.
Thanks Larry

juro
07-27-2001, 06:50 PM
Well, she ain't too talkative toward me for asking so guess I might as well just try to go - either way I lose but this way I'd get some fishing for the trouble I'm in! Unless she talks some sense into me I will be going too.

We have room for one more... who's it gonna be?

BTW -

Keith asked us to car pool as much as possible. Since the Doogue's are in one car, that's one less car than people. OK, we car pooled }> Seriously, the low tide is mid-day so the clammers, Orvis class, yakkers, residents, and the tourist parade will all be on the causeway. Just to keep tensions down and to help make it easier for Ed I think we should honor Keith's request.

How 'bout we meet at Larry's PX anytime after 4am and before 6:15am to figure out how to merge into vehicles? For those who don't know where it is, it's on rte 28 on the way to the lighthouse. They serve breakfast starting at 4am.

SEE YOU AT LARRY's PX!!!

juro
07-27-2001, 09:44 PM
Got the green light, looking forward to it guys - RIP it UP!

porkslice
04-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Please count me in

striblue
04-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Porkslice...welcome... that Rip trip was planned on 7/2001. We usually post the trip about 2 or 3 weeks in advance so will have to keep an eye on the Forum for the next planned trip ..maybe in May.

Adrian
04-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Porkslice, you sure know how to make an entrance! :D

Seeing that post up there with 4 pages of resposnses already really got the blood flowing.

Like John said, welcome to the Forum.

Jimmy
04-12-2004, 08:44 AM
of my vacation. The trip is on for the 2nd day of my vacation. My wife and kids won't show until Monday so I'm in. Sorry I didn't get back sooner but my computer at home is all kinds of screwed.:mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: .

Dble Haul
04-12-2004, 08:52 AM
Jimmy....you do realize that this thread is from 3 years ago and has just recently been mistakenly ressurected by a new member, don't you?

Or are you living up to your avatar signature? :hehe: j/k

striblue
04-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Jimmy...Mark is right...look at my post immediatly following Porkslices.

Jimmy
04-12-2004, 10:19 AM
I do now!:chuckle: Sorry. Like I said, my computer at home has died. I'm doing this from work. Limited time to read every thing.:o