6X saltwater hooks? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 6X saltwater hooks?

flyfisha1
01-09-2003, 09:52 AM
Looking through Popovics's Pop Fleyes book, I'd like to tie a few of the bangers. Trouble is, the longest hooks I can find at the 6X length recommended are size 2, bronze. I've tried to tie this fly on a 4X Tiemco 9394 that I had lying around, which I realize is plated, but still no cigar, and the 911S is, so far as I know, 4X long, so no advantage there in terms of length. What I'm looking for is either a 6X hook in size 1 and larger, or a way to increase the length of the shank of a 4X hook in order to accomodate the live body foam head as well as the dressing. Anyone have any ideas?

juro
01-09-2003, 10:16 AM
TUBE FLIES!

flyfisha1
01-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Forgive me if I'm a little daft, how does "tube flies" help?

Bob Pink
01-09-2003, 02:51 PM
I'll pass on the tube fly question for a more expert response but here's a trick I've tried with big poppers.

Use a standard shank length hook but crimp on some stranded wire through the eye and looped to a swivel. Make the overall length correct for the body of the banger you are building. Use a loo0p of wire to pull the assembly through the popper swivel first. Stop when the front loop of the swivel has just cleared the face of the foam. This allows you to build any body length popper you want with standard shank length hooks. You can even use it for segmented bodies.....

juro
01-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Sorry - I have to ration my posting time at work into break periods. :p

Tube flies will allow you to make 10x or 20x poppers if you want, and you can use any size hook you want. Many bluewater poppers are tied on tubes. I've played with them for stripers and it's a great option. Use nylon tubes for light weight.

flyfisha1
01-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Bob - Thanks, I was actually toying with the idea of simply making a short steel leader (essentially one long barrel loop) and placing the popper body on that, but the swivel idea is better. I'll have to try that.

Juro - I see what you're saying now, I think. Run the tube through the popper body, line through tube tied to hook, right?

Thanks to you both!

Is there a way to simply extend the length of the actual hook shank that makes it a one-piece deal? I'd like to try that, as well, if there are any ideas.

striblue
01-09-2003, 03:33 PM
You can basically use any hook you want so long as you don't pass the hook though the popper... Just carve a little grove at the bottom of the popper where you will superglue it to the shank. The popper rides "on Top" of the shank. Also you can pass the hook though the banger in the low portion of the banger thereby having no effect on the hook gap or screwing up your tail ... If you put the banger on top with super glue and then epoxy in for strength, you can still create a great tail, as Popovic does, by burning holes in the banger and inserting the Hackles in a concentric patern.

flyfisha1
01-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Thanks all!