Breathables [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Breathables

moosestang
01-08-2003, 12:21 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on the different breathable waders that are on the market ? Also is there any difference between Gore-tex and all of the other materials used (horco-tex ,orvi-tex , pata-tex ,columbian-tex etc...) and if so is one better than the other ?

Eddie
01-08-2003, 12:37 PM
I think that everyone will agree. GoreTex is far and away the best. If you can't aford it, the other stuff works(better have a good warrenty), but you would best be served by saving up the the good stuff.
Sims has some GoreTex for around a couple of bills.

BigDave
01-08-2003, 01:34 PM
My opinion is that the various "- texes" are pretty similar, performance wise. Lightweight, comfortable and waterproof. I would be most concerned with the quality of the cloth used on the exterior and the workmanship (taped seams, gusseted crotch, etc). I have gone through 4 pair of an inferior brand in the last 3 years and my next pair will definitely be Simms.

my .02

fredaevans
01-08-2003, 01:57 PM
a short while back that you could look up, etc. Lots of 'brands' discussed: pro and con.
Fred

juro
01-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Click on the button that looks like this (above) and type in "breathables" for a lot of discussion, to Fred's point...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/images/top_search.gif