What retrieve works for you? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: What retrieve works for you?

FishHawk
01-07-2003, 06:14 AM
Trying to figure out what retrieve is best for catching stripers. I know that it depends on*the conditions. Yet while fishing with various people I have noticed that everyone seems to have a personal favorite. My roots are trout fishing and I tend to fish for stripers as if I were fishing for trout. The rod under the arm retrieve seems to be very popular but I can't get use to it.
FishHawk

juro
01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Depends on the situation, of course.

Here's how I would answer:

For topwater poppers, bangers, etc - I use an underarm two-handed ripper retrieve unless I have a floating line that let's me relax. That's like never, so I be rippin'

For my 2nd most favorite shoreline rip fishery - I fish it like winter steelheading on a slow deep swing.

For the most common sweep the beach search mode, I use a standard strip I will show you in person someday.

For sight fishing the flats well I simply %$^___$(WS)i_ and (&^FsfY33#_ ._

Hope that helps :devil:

Penguin
01-08-2003, 12:32 PM
When I over G'd myself in '99 I did some damage to my right wrist/shoulder/knee (among other things).
Ever since my titanium experience things haven't been quite the same.
To take pressure off my wrist/shoulder I almost always use the standard 2-hand retrieve...but vary the speed and rhythm depending...
If anyone feels discomfort hangin' on to the rod all day, the rod lightly tucked under the arm and 2-hand retrieve may make a difference...IMHO

BigDave
01-08-2003, 01:41 PM
FishHawk,

I am a Trouthead too and can't get used to the 2-handed strip. I'll use it to keep my intermediate line near the surface like Juro said, but that's about it. That or when fishing a blitz from a boat to appeal to the fish's competitve nature. Just do what feels right. It took me long enough to break my trout fishing habits and strip-set stripers to begin with :hehe:

steelheadmike
01-10-2003, 04:20 PM
I use the under the arm method myself and have found that either short or long " sloppy, jerky " strips work the best in almost every situation. If you are too methodical and consistant with your retrieve you get less reaction. At times I go with the standard one hand strip but then I also use different lenght strips as well as long pauses followed by fast short "jerky" strips. Seems to work very well especially in current flows. Just my observation / 2 cents.