Thanks to Double Haul and Eddie [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Thanks to Double Haul and Eddie

striblue
01-06-2003, 09:56 PM
As I opened the fly swap flies, I got a little surprise from Eddie and Mark.. Eddie gave me a bueatifully tied polar fiber baitfish and Mark send an extra long sand eel... Here they are... can you guys please list the material for the recipes..thanks

Dble Haul
01-07-2003, 08:54 AM
My fly is posted in the archive under "Sea Candy".

This is a magnum Surf Candy.

Hook: 3/0
Thread: Monofilament
Inner flash: Flat gold tinsel wrapped along hook shank
Underwing: Yellow Super Hair
Wing flash: Copper Krystal Flash
Overwing: Red Super Hair
Eyes: Prism
Gill: Red marker

The head is sealed per usual with two separate coats of epoxy. Overall length is close to 8.5".

Eddie
03-02-2003, 02:36 PM
This fly was tied with craft fur. I tied in some fish hair at the tail and then tied in sparse clumps of fur on the top, sides and bottom. Top, sides and bottom, and so on towards the eye. This fly has sweet action in the water, but needs to be combed out every so often.
Marine silicone glues on the eyes and it sticks great. I gon't think I lost an eye all last season.

Bob Pink
03-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Mark,

Just curious as to the effectiveness of the red as a top wing. Interesting choice of color(s) given what we are used to seeing locally. Care to expound on where/when that color as found favor with you?

nice tie!

Dble Haul
03-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Bob- Good question. That color combo has been good to me with pike, and one day a few years ago in LI Sound my fishing partner and I were surrounded by gator blues. Knowing how durable super hair is, and how effective the red and yellow was with pike, I figured I couldn't really go wrong with the same for the bluefish. The red and yellow combo was the only one I had in the large size, and needless to say it worked very well.

I gave one to John as a "throw away" fly when blues are around. I'm not entirely sure how it would do in a Cape flats situation, but in the surf, in a rip, or offshore it should do well. This fly can take some punishment!