NY Trout ( Volume #2 ) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NY Trout ( Volume #2 )

steelheadmike
01-06-2003, 08:52 AM
Despite a raging fever and sinus infection I dragged my hiney out of bed, slipped into my Capeline undies and donned my Filson Earflap Macanaw Hat... sppooled my noodle rod with 4lb test and ventured forth. I would have taken the fly but water levels are rising fast and there is not enough real estate to get out a decent back cast. In short I landed one 18 inch fish and dropped something big that politely took my Crocodile. My friend, Frank hit a 16 incher and dropped one also right at the shore. So all in all the rod was bent and my cold seemed to vanish for a while. It's amazing how good you feel when you are out fishing instead of breathing stale air in the house while watching tv.

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Yep done that a couple of times with bad colds and/or sinus infections my wife thought I was nuts, but once you get on the river it all seems to fade away.

BTW, lots of old time brownie fisherman out here use rapalas and swear by them, particularly when the water is up and discolored.

PM Out

steelheadmike
01-06-2003, 09:54 AM
I rarely use Rapala's ( maybe I should try them out ) unless I use big ones for Stripers. I have pleanty of them but never have taken them out of the boxes. My favorite lure of all time is the Hopkins Shorty. That thing is MAGIC I tell you. The water is about 4-6 feet higher but is GIN clear. The fish seem to hit right on the surface or just under. Most of the fish follow right to the shore and then grab. It's pretty exciting watching the fish grab right at your feet.

RTF
01-17-2003, 11:16 AM
LOL ! I cant believe you have open water downstate. I live 3 1/2 hours north west of you at least and we have been iced over since November and I have about 4 feet of snow on the ground. :hehe: