Ct nonresident license increase [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ct nonresident license increase

FishHawk
01-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Looks like Conn. has money problems. The Nonresident license has gone from $24 to $40. Hopefully the money goes to the Fish & Game dept. I wonder what Mass will charge. I guess its a sign of the times. I don't mind paying its still a bargin for the enjoyment one gets. FishHawk.:rolleyes:

John Desjardins
01-06-2003, 08:19 AM
It was bound to happen. The last couple of years its struck me as unusual that the CT non resident license was cheaper than my MA resident license. Hopefully the money will go to the department of environmental protection rather than some stupid project.

Dble Haul
01-06-2003, 08:32 AM
To say that CT has money problems would be the understatement of this young year. :rolleyes:

John Desjardins
01-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Mark It's pretty much the same in all states. But I just look at some projects, like UConns football stadium and it gets me mad. :mad: Makes me wish I wasn't an alumni.

cohocola
01-06-2003, 10:28 AM
FISHKAWK
I looked it up on a google search...

Nonresident fishing license $37.50; 3-consecutive-day nonresident license $23.50.

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Michigan non resident license with trout and salmon stamp is up in the fortys now they were in thirties 20 years ago, but still a bargain.

Not sure how good the fresh water fishing is in CT these days but $ 20 is a bargain for non resident.

FYI, South Dakota non resident was $ 60 for a week last year, they really nailed me.

PM Out

BobK
01-06-2003, 10:45 AM
If the additional funding went to the Fish and Game depts. (whatever initials they are called in your state), and used for improvements (land/fishing right acquisition, habitat improvement, stocking/recovery programs), it would be great.

In most cases, though, the politicians put all revenues in a "general fund" to use as they see fit.

Regardless of party, they are ALL CROOKS! Only thing is, they hide behind a law, rather than using a gun to hold everyone up!

BobK :tsk_tsk:

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Bobk,

I take it you do not like lawyers ? :chuckle:

Hal

PM Out

BobK
01-06-2003, 02:08 PM
In my estimation, the "ambulance chasers" are in the same league as politicians and bureaucrats - Sorry if that bothers anyone, but that is my opinion.

I haven't personally had any problems (only because I haven't had occasion to use them for anything of importance), but I am basing this on what I have heard from others.

(Why should they get 1/3 of the settlement of some poor hurt slob? If that's not GREED, I don't know what is! And what ever happened to "personal responsibility" aspects of one's own destiny? )

As far as corporate and other attorneys go, I have generally found them to be fine people - it's just the "ambulance chasers" that I object to!

BobK

:devil:

SDHflyfisher
01-09-2003, 03:30 PM
This really sucks for me because i fish in CT every summer w/ my uncle. But i don't mind paying it if it is going into habitat restoration and other stuff.

pmflyfisher
01-09-2003, 04:33 PM
$ 40 for out of state is a bargain. I pay it gladly to Michigan and would pay more if needed.

Bob K

I understand where you are coming from but in order to preserve our american freedoms and liberty we need a robust legal system to defend and prosecute the laws.

I work with many other countries through my company's international network (60 countries +). No other country has the laws enabling the personal rights and freedoms we do.

One of the costs of the US way of the life is our many lawyers and robust legal system.

God bless america, I have travelled to a lot of countries and am always grateful when I get back to american soil.

PM Out

Adrian
01-09-2003, 10:53 PM
I think that in our hearts e all support the notion of contributing to upkeep and well being of the resources - both fresh water and salt! At the same time we all have a problem with being ripped off through a poorly veiled indirect taxation scams.

There is no doubt that CT DEP is underfunded. I met "the" (emphasis on the singular) DEP officer for our area on the Housy one evening last season and he explained the extent of his patch - North, South East and West. I can't remember the specifics but It's ludicrous! Somehow he managed to figure out where he could do most good by focusing most of his time. He obviously cared about his job but you could sense the frustration. I believe CT DEP do a pretty fair job given their cash strapped situation. Boat ramps, free access map mailed to your home on request, excellent publications and guides plus some impressive successes in habitat restoration.

artb
01-10-2003, 08:47 PM
Adrian, Have you ever fished the Center Village Hatchery? I use to go a few years ago. The state of CT. had a pretty good deal , Fish one of the ponds that the state maintained. Use barbless hooks fish for a couple of hours, or till you killed one fish. Some of this fish were large. At the outflow which comes out into a small creekat the back of the pond there is always a large trout or two. I use to like to watch them dart out of the pipe and then retreat. Fish the Moosup River which the outflow empties into, flyfishing only, The Moosup flows into the Quinebaug River a short distance down stream. A friend a few years ago caught a female rainbow that weighed just a shade under 12 lbs on a fly.:eyecrazy: Maybe see you tomorrow.

Adrian
01-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Art, I've not ventured too far yet having only "rediscovered" fresh water last season after a long layoff. Mostly Housy, did one trip to the Farmington and an early season foray on the CT river for pike with Dblehaul and Roop.

I recently found out that there is a State supported TU effort to restore a trout stream in my own town!

RTF
01-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Just got an email from dad about this. He is a resident of CT and their fee's where hiked up 40%

pmflyfisher
01-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Don't feel bad, I have been paying over 30 for nonresident for probably 20 years, its low $ 40 now for Michigan non resident.

Think of all the money you have already saved and the benefits your extra dollars will help the CT fisheries and enforcement etc..

PM Out