Sunset Magazine: January-2003 on the Skagit Valley. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sunset Magazine: January-2003 on the Skagit Valley.

fredaevans
01-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Fun, if bland read, but the opening picture is of some fellow Spey Casting on the Skagit. Keeping in mind it was in the early '80's that I last fished this area.

The photo is obviously taken in the area (I think?) but the width of the river seems far too narrow to be the Skagit ... low water or no. Reminds me far more of the Sauk; you're thoughts after looking at the photo?

fae

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 12:10 PM
Wheres the link to the photo ? :confused:

Or is this a trick thread :devil:

Fred, I bet when you fished the Skagit you limited out every day in the golden years.

PM Out

old man
01-06-2003, 06:40 PM
He probably wants you to go out and buy the book. Maybe it's him on the cover.After all he sounds old.

pmflyfisher
01-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Buy a book, then he will have to send it to me.

I will look for it on the net.

PM Out

P.S. Yes he is older than I. :D :D

fredaevans
01-06-2003, 10:31 PM
Go to your local magazine seller (or for Hal's whose tighter than a tick .. the library) and go to page 20. :D

No 'trick thread,' just scratching my head about the photo.
fae
PS to Hal: I know how little they pay Atty's so I'll send you the 'zine if your low on cash.:devil: Two new puppies (and all the things your going to have to replace over then next year could put a strain on anyone's budget.:hehe:

flytyer
01-06-2003, 11:53 PM
Fred,

This is some of my home water since I live in Mount Vernon, it is Watersprite's home water also since he lives upriver. Howerver, withouth the picture I cannot tell you if it is the Sauk or the Skagit above the Sauk. It might very well be the Skagit above the Cascade (about 8 miles above the Sauk) since you said it looked like smaller water. The Skagit above the Cascade as Marblemount can be covered bank to bank with an 85 to 100 foot cast.

It may also be one of those areas where the river splits into two channels as it goes around an island.

But without the picture, I cannot say whether it is the Skagit or not.

pmflyfisher
01-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Fred

Well it took about 5 seconds to find the web site for (sunset.com)
they do not have current magazine info there, they want you to buy it. Since I don't live in the west I am not interested, but it looks like a nice magazine. I will have to visualize the skagit image fred mentions.

Yes Fred, if one is not "prudently cheap" one is wasting their limited economic resources, especially these days. I have always been a "late adopter" of new technologies (except for the Fiat 124 coupe fiasco :( :( )

I should get out my trout rods from 30 years ago the old medalist reel and prove again the old cheap (l.t. $ 100 - rod, reel and line) technology is just as effective as todays $ 300 - $ 500 + rods, reels and lines in catching fish.

Heck I will even wear hip boots and go against the wader guys to prove the point.

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-07-2003, 12:32 PM
I thought the only poor attnys. were the PD's and states.

May as well enjoy the $$ while you are here, once your'e gone your'e gone. Your kids will squander it on real sportscars and expensive toys.

flytyer
01-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Fred,

It would be nice for everyone to be able to see the picture you started this thread off about. I found what Hal did, sunset.com does not have the current issue on it.

Hal,

A Fiat 124, what were you thinking of! And after having had a SS 396 Chevellle no less.

SparseHairHackl
01-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Ah, now, don't make fun of my beloved--but long departed--Fiat 124 (Spider convertible). Many fond memories with that car; not quite as fond as times on the river, but great nevertheless.

Confirmed my wife-to-be was a keeper when, in wedding preparations, she said she didn't have a problem with having the top down on the way from the wedding to the reception. Looking back, our wedding "getaway" pictures are much better without glass and a roof to obscure the happy couple. After a honeymoon on the McKenzie and N. Umpqua (Steamboat Inn), things are still great 12 years later.

Wish I still had the car, but after many years of relatively little unscheduled maintenance, the odds finally caught up with me, and my busier, more mature (???) lifestyle require more reliable transportation.

fredaevans
01-07-2003, 04:40 PM
"It would be nice for everyone to be able to see the picture you started this thread off about. I found what Hal did, sunset.com does not have the current issue on it."

Scanner is still in storrage ... but God willing, the creek don't rise, etc., we move into our new home this weekend. Ah yes, the word: "Move." Ever notice it's a 'four letter word?'
fae

flytyer
01-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Fred,

And then after moving in you get to try and find all those things that you know you put somewhere. We moved into our house 2 years ago this month, and I still can't find some things. Nora says not to worry they are in the garage somewhere. Then she goes to the garage the next day while I'm off doing something else and she produces that which I was looking for. She keeps moving stuff around in the garage, a two car affair that can only hold one car becaue of things like bicycles, lawn mower, lawn and gardening tools, several thousands of dollars of bulk fly tying material, etc., making it nigh near impossible for me to find what I had just used before she moved things the last time.

Ah, but it is nice to be in the house. Hope you can find your scanner easily. Glad to hear you finally get to move in.

SparseHairHackle,

Yes, the Fiat 124 was fun to drive. Short on horsepower, grip, and braking but a lot of fun nontheless. I used to greatly enjoy showing my friend who owned a Fiat how much better the handling, braking, and acceleration the Dodge Charger R/T was to it. Of course I only got 8 mile to the gallon with the 440 and 3.72 posi rear to his 22 miles to a gallon. And I had to use the expensive ($0.35/gallon) gasoline to boot. All was fine until the gas lines and I couldn't buy fuel for the beast. Still wish I had that Charger though.

fredaevans
01-08-2003, 01:11 AM
The word 'move' is a four letter word.' God Bless our 'SO."

:confused: or :D not sure which is correct. Or is it part of 'their''Master Plan?
fae

flytyer
01-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Fred,

I quit trying to figure out what my wife's plan may have been years ago. I have such a good marriage that it just isn't worth worrying about things like her "straightening up the garage". She always seems to find what I have been unable to locate rather quickly. She does leave my tying material alone though ever since I was tying commercially and she moved some of it. Then I couldn't find the golden pheasant skins to tie 6 dozen G.P.'s. I needed to finish an order. I was rather hot by the time she got home because I had wasted over an hour trying to find them and I had 30 dozen spey flies to tie by the end of the week I could have been tying instead of looking for the golden pheasant skins.

I agree that move is a four letter word. And each time we moved it took weeks and months to find things that were used regularly before the move. My dentist asked me in November if we had gotten totally moved in yet, I answered that we had and he said, "Liar, Liar Pants on fire". He then told me that he and his wife moved into there house 6 years ago and they still had not emptied all the boxes stacked in the garage. Like me, he can only park one car in his two car garage,