Tan Shrimp---to get us going [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Tan Shrimp---to get us going

striblue
01-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Here is a shrimp I copied ..hate to say it but it is the one in a picture I posted a couple weeks ago..Dave's Shrimp and got it out of "Art In Angling Journal." Size #1 mustad signature hook, Tan thread 6/0......Take 16 ginger hackles..all fine side points streached out with fingers rubbed down the side and then trimmed leaving about 1/8 inch for hairs..tips left in. Mouth- 6 hackle of the 16 ,2 long, 2 medium, 2 short and tied in...Oh...hook need application of fine lead wire along the shank....Tie in those hackles at the mouth long first then medium, then short. Then two eyes, burnt mono, plack paint then dip in epoxy, and set aside...... after dry..place into position and then two long grizzly stalks for feelers on top on eyer tye....... Then tan Yard from head to hook eye... then invert the hook and take remaining hackles and tie in legs so they splay out,,, 5 legs to a side, 10 altogether... then cut plastic sheet for carapace... carefully tye down moving thread carefully between legs and secure at hook eye.. the carapace needs to be cut so that you have a swimmerette at the back...bueatiful fly..I could not resist tyeing this one and a great original from this guy.

saltydog
01-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Striblue, thoes legs should ACT nice when striped SLOWLEY
the ones I got for the next swap was w/plastic bag cut on
top also. 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

BigDave
01-06-2003, 08:35 AM
John,

What kind of plastic are you using for the carapace? Great looking pattern - so pretty you almost don't want to get it wet! :hehe:

striblue
01-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Dave, I just used a plastic bag from one of my stickon eye packages..the sandwich bags are to thin to work with.