Rip Trip--Sunday--7/15 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rip Trip--Sunday--7/15

striblue
07-14-2001, 09:27 AM
Dropped by to see Keith this morning and as of now we are on. He said he had 4 other groups who had to walk last week because of the change in wind. Tomorrow he says that it is predicted to be 10 to 15 mph SW.. just like before and all week so it's a go but we hope the wind does not pick up in the afternoon. What may help us is that it is also predicted to be somewhat overcast and that may sock us in to less of a wind. Bumped into Adrian at 5 this morning at Larry's PX and he was going out with the Este's Bros. I created a new topic for anyone to post regarding tomorrow so please use this one instead of the other rip posts. I will confirm with Keith tonight and post a go within a reasonable hour. TRAVEL LIGHT... no coolers.. small lunch bags, etc.. you know. If we have to walk and someone weakens someone else will have to take the load so lets keep that in mind. The Rip should form in the morning... soon after we get there so if things look bad we can call Keith in after we get our hopeful mother load... finally, if anyone has cell phones please bring them since my batteries may go out and we will want back ups. Same time ...meet a 6:30 and boat leaves with Tom as Captian at 7 sharp. That's it for now ... let me know by this thread if you have questions.

juro
07-14-2001, 12:29 PM
John, et. al. -

I will pay Rip Ryder out of the on-line account where we collected fares. This is a really easy way to collect and pay Keith, he likes the single payment as well. I'll call him to let him know we'll be paying just like last time.

Also, you should leave your cell phone #'s with Keith on the way out. My battery died last time and RogerM and JimH bailed us out with their phones.

Striblue and Roop have done the rip as many times as anyone - consider them and other veterans a good source of advice. Good tide tomorrow. I think you'll score bigtime. Today would have been a good day to do it too, weatherwise.

GOOD LUCK!

Nick
07-14-2001, 01:42 PM
Striblue,
Thanks for taking the lead. I just want to make sure I am all set. 6:30 at the normal Rip Ryder location (parking on the causeway or at the end lot?). Squid flies and deep eels and everything in between. Light lunch. I can't wait. I have two way radios, and a gps, and a cell phone ( I am a gadget dork.) I don't mind bringing them as they are light. Also, I was curious of Dfix ever gave you any of those boxes from my company. I hope you got some, if not I can get more.
Nick

striblue
07-14-2001, 03:45 PM
Thanks Nick.. I have not seen Dave for a while.. I'm sure he would spare a box when I see him next. Yes Nick.. Park at the causeway.. I will bring One two way walkie talkie.. my othe is damaged.. so we can set the channel.. also the cell phone will be a help incase batteries run out of others that are there. I will have a cell phone as well. I will post a final Go tonight at about 11 pm.. By the way ,if anybody wants to bring the cooler that is entirely up to them.. It was just a suggestion on my part... then I remembered Jim D.'s sandwiches... Jim ,please bring the cooler... forget what I said. LET'S HAVE A MEMORABLE DAY! I am bringing those seal skulls back with me this time.

striblue
07-14-2001, 03:47 PM
Oh.. with Juro absent.. don't forget cameras.

MarkDoogue
07-14-2001, 03:53 PM
John:
It's a done deal.
Jim D.

Hawkeye
07-14-2001, 07:00 PM
Did a bit of scouting today with Adrian and Mike. The rip set up and about a half hour later we had our first rip fish. Prior to that we were kept quite happy with schoolies and a nice blue. The schoolies were all up and down the beach and you could sight cast to them. The schoolie fly was a sand eel type. Once the rip formed the magic fly was a squid. Fish ranged in size from 20" to 351/2". I had forgot how much even a schoolie can do in that rip!

When the rip cools down keep your eyes open because there can still be fish near the beach.

Do the swing! And good luck guys.

striblue
07-14-2001, 08:03 PM
Thanks Greg.. encouraging report. I just spoke to Keith and things look even better for tomorrow weather wise... 5 to 10 NE.. so the wind will be to our backs.. Final post 11 pm.

juro
07-14-2001, 09:32 PM
Gregg -

Looking at the tides I knew it would be a good weekend when I suggested it and I'm glad the weather is going to let it happen this time! You know I am having withdrawls but this is an important weekend for me to spend with family and to catch up on some work.

Anyway we might have reached the point where we should be a little less revealing about specifics on the board. That email list I sent around might be a little more suitable, better yet those who are marked "SUN" on the roster (emails were provided) would be best. Just a thought.

Thanks for the great report! Now I am REALLY frustrated that I am not going. I'll get 'em next weekend...

striblue
07-14-2001, 10:09 PM
OK.. we are on ... see you tomorrow. try to get there by 6:30 since we leave at 7 AM sharp. I will be at the light house about 5:30 having my morning coffee at the parking lot if anyone wants to stop by .