Patriot Ledger Article [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Patriot Ledger Article

Roop
07-14-2001, 10:12 AM
The Ledger had a noice article about the virtues of bridge fishingand how it is a resource for the "everyman". What got my attention though is in the paper, not on the web site, is a photo of a schoolie being released from around 20' in the air.

The link is:

http://ledger.southofboston.com/display/inn_news/news05.txt

I see this as an opportunity to try to push catch & release into the press and sent the following email, referencing Terry's C&R Flyer, to the editor in repsonse:

editpage@ledger.com
Letter to the Editor
The Patriot Ledger
P.O. Box 9159
Quincy, MA 02269-9159
RE: Weekend Ledger Article; Reel Fishin’

Dear Sirs:

Jeffrey White did a good job illustrating the enjoyment of bridge fishing and I agree that it is “everyman’s fishing”.

However, as an avid fihserman, I take exception to Mr. White’s failure to address any type of conservation issues surrounding the Massachusetts coastal fisheries and the impact recreational fishermen have upon those fisheries. The recreational fishermen of Massachusetts are responsible for the highest mortality rates of striped bass throughout their coastal habitat. As evidence, consider the photo on the cover page showing a striped bass being “thrown back” from the Powder Point Bridge in Duxbury. Dropping this fish an estimated height of 10 to 20 feet will most likely result in the death of the fish.

The striped bass is in trouble, the current regulations allow a fisherman to keep one 28” fish per day. These are fish in the prime of their breeding life yet we choose to kill those which will ensure the future of the species to satisfy the desires of the masses. I myself practice catch and release and have killed striped bass for the table but make sure the fish I kill are in excess of 35", at or near the end of their breeding cycle.

Attached is a flyer developed by Terry Weir and endorsed by the division of Marine Enforcement promoting responsible fish handling and release. I challenge Mr. White and the Ledger to take the next step as responsible journalists and advise the public of the fragile status of the striped bass, it’s history and how the public can help ensure the species will be around for our children to enjoy, as responsible fishermen.

Thank you.

Jeff Roop

----------------------------------------------

If you feel it's worthwhile to send an email on the issue, please make sure to include your home address & phone number for the Ledger to contact you.

Thanks.

Roop

Tod D
07-16-2001, 09:37 AM
Roop,
Nice job. Missed the article in the paper before seeing your post. I'll follow up with a note of my own.

DFix
07-16-2001, 10:16 AM
Does anyone know Roop's daytime phone number??? let me know email or thru the number below, please.

Jeff, if you read this, I can be contacted at 800-392-6090. I'd like to discuss something with you, if you please. Thanks. Dave Fix.

juro
07-16-2001, 10:40 AM
Jeff -

I think it would be appropriate to ask the Ledger to post editorial follow-up that highlights the damage to fish that bridgetop releases create.

Juro

Lefty
07-16-2001, 11:18 AM
"Bridgetop Release"?? Damn, so far to go...

Lefty

Roop
07-18-2001, 06:40 AM
THanks guys.

I know my response is excessive but it seemed like a good opportunity to push for some public conservation awareness.

DFix will call you today.

Roop

bcasey
07-18-2001, 10:37 AM
Jeff,
I don't think your response is excessive at all. I agree with the response and hope it gets printed. My thoughts are always to respond with polite info. (well, almost allways), I think you will be understood and the readers will respect your opinion more. Your right on target ! Great work

TinMan
07-18-2001, 07:25 PM
Ironically, that link now points to an article called:

"Down to the sea: The lure of the sea proves lucrative as area teens reel in profits."

shorebird
07-19-2001, 02:19 PM
Roop (07-14-2001 10:12 a.m.):

Attached is a flyer developed by Terry Weir and endorsed by the division of Marine Enforcement promoting responsible fish handling and release.
Thank you.
Jeff Roop

And all this time I thought I developed this flyer.

Lefty
07-19-2001, 02:28 PM
To those keeping score, Shorebird took the body of ideas in the original flyer and turned it into something less "abrasive". He also added graphics (awesome Striper image), websites, and more ideas. In addition he is hosting the doc on his webspace. Our hats off to you Shorebird for your development efforts.

Lefty (aka TerryW at FFSW)

shorebird
07-19-2001, 04:43 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding - not keeping score. Just that I read three posts on two different boards where someone else was given full credit for this project. What Lefty just posted about my involvement is accurate. The ideas came from many sources, mostly from posters at FFSW (many of whom post here as well).

As many of you know, it was Lefty (TerryW) who came up with the original idea of a poster or flyer to be printed and distributed, and he originated most of the "do's and don't" ideas on the document. Thanks, Terry.

I guess this is a good place to post the URL for anyone who hasn't yet seen it and would like to print a copy. The page is hosted on a student server, but I won't have access to it much longer. I'm working on a new site hosted by my new ISP, and when it's up I'll post that URL as well:

http://cecpeople.bu.edu/rbird/bassalert/bassalert.htm

New moon tomorrow -- let's go fishing!

Bob

juro
07-19-2001, 05:14 PM
Bob and Terry, et. al. -

You guys deserve the utmost appreciation from other sportsmen for your ideas and efforts. I think much of the problem boils down to education and you guys put your money where your mouth is for sure.

If you don't object I've taken the liberty to copy the file to:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/SWFF/stripers/sportsmanship.htm

And made a link to this page from the top of the Stripers and Coastal Gamefish FlyTalk page.

Kudos to you guys and I will be packing some copies with a staple gun in my truck.

shorebird
07-19-2001, 05:30 PM
Excellent! Thanks, Juro.

Roop
07-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I honestly thought Terry developed it. Many thanks to shorebird as well.

Roop

TinMan
07-19-2001, 06:18 PM
Roop (07-19-2001 06:01 p.m.):
Sorry for any misunderstanding.
I honestly thought Terry developed it. Many thanks to shorebird as well.
Roop

Because, essentially, he did. Terry was the originator of the idea, and presented it on FFSW.

Lots of people offered suggestions to improve it (in various ways), which 'shorebird' compiled and graciously put on a web site.

From there it was easy to print off a copy and staple to poles (or stick inside circle hook brochures and hand out, as I did on PI).

Anyway, back to the topic a bit, what suggestions are there for releasing a fish from a bridge? Maybe a Boga grip "front end" on a rope type thing?

juro
07-19-2001, 06:26 PM
Do you know the joke:

I told the doctor "it hurts when I do this"...

tomd
07-20-2001, 09:55 AM
roop, maybe they didn't like all the emails. they link now is about a milton woman's land taking lawsuit. Tom D

tomd
07-20-2001, 10:03 AM
OK!!! reality check... those guys on the bridge are not gonna by boga grips to release fish! how about if they aimed the fish straight down, so as to force water by the gills. I'm not saying it is a good solution, but they will still fish off where they can catch fish. let's try to minimize the damage but realize the way things are done can't be radically changed overnight. Tom D

p.s. roop, I totally agree that the mortality rate is atrocious in mass, and you are right. but we need to change things within the confines of what is happening and will happen for the foreseeable future. just my $.02

TinMan
07-20-2001, 04:33 PM
tomd (07-20-2001 10:03 a.m.):
OK!!! reality check... those guys on the bridge are not gonna by boga grips to release fish! how about if they aimed the fish straight down, so as to force water by the gills.

Didn't think I'd need the smiley face, probably should have used it anyway. I was being facetious. As in, "Well, what are the options if you are on a bridge and you catch a schoolie?". Pretty limited.

Reality check: if you aim the fish straight down, it will slam into the bottom and probably die quicker than belly flopping in.

Seems to me that suggesting that people just don't fish from bridges is out of touch with the reality of people doing it no matter what WE think.

tomd
07-20-2001, 04:55 PM
tinman, I think the water there is deep enough that they wouldn't hit the bottom. Tom D