Spong Bob Flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spong Bob Flies

striblue
12-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Here are a new series of flies I have tied... These are based on the Blados crease fly but differ in several significant aspects. First, they are not hollow like the crease fly, second ,they are to act as sliders and not poppers, thirdly, they have a marabou tail for more movement than the usual bucktail, forthly, they have a more realistic fish head. and finally they have my continued thinking on using natural materials for the body of the fly or the colors.. All have natural feathers inside the epoxy for coloration and visual texture. Named after my favorite cartoon..Spong Bob Square Pants. Thanks to Pete..French Creek for sparking me on to this by asking about crease flies. The Back drop is an original Tony Stetzko Water Color.

Dble Haul
12-31-2002, 11:29 AM
Interesting concept. I see that you're putting some of Joe's fly clips to good use. :)

Question: You say that the body is not hollow like the crease fly. Does this mean that you've simply creased the foam and folded it onto itself, resulting in a very thin head-on profile?

They look great and should be taken as dead ringers for wounded baitfish. Sponge Bob would be proud! :)

doug
12-31-2002, 11:39 AM
...and to think that I was expecting to really see a square yellow foam fly.....:chuckle:

BigDave
12-31-2002, 11:55 AM
These look great john. The natural color schemes as opposed to the metallic tape would make these flies awesome for FW bass fishing. The middle one's a dead ringer for a wounded perch on it's last legs.

Nice work.

Dave

striblue
12-31-2002, 12:10 PM
Yes... Mark ,they are simply folded on to them selves. I want the wounded bait fish slide...Doug..don't start giving me ideas... I might have to try one for the fun of it......I will be tying some this after noon with more saltwater application...just wanted to experiment with different feathers.... I want a buch of these for the show along with the earlier poppers I did with the feathers imbeded in the epoxy.

Joshr
12-31-2002, 01:39 PM
Once again, John, very nice. One thought: be careful about closing the hook gap too much. This is often a problem with crease flies too....even the ones you can buy commercially--if the body isn't tapered properly, you miss a lot of strikes.

You should try an articulated version!