Bootfoot or stocking foot that is the Question [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bootfoot or stocking foot that is the Question

FishHawk
12-31-2002, 05:55 AM
My bootfoot breathale wader have worn out and I am wondering if I should go back to the stocking foot. The problem I had with the bootfoot was chafing. Any recommendations. Of course the Ironman invisable wader would be the ticket . FishHawk:D

FredA
12-31-2002, 07:12 AM
I've been using the Orvis Silver label hiking boot waders for 3 seasons. No problem with chaffing as I've had with other bootfoots. The boot hugs the foot/ankle without lacing and I seldom lace them up. Comfortable (did the death march the length of South Monomoy and didn't think about them) and no complaints, though they are getting a bit ripe.

Doc Duprey
12-31-2002, 07:37 AM
Let me second Fred A.'s recommendation. This is only my first season with the lace up model from Orvis, and I do lace them (weak ankles) but they work very well and I have no problem with chafing or blisters. Orvis also sells a line of waterfowling products called Church Creek, and they have a similar lace-up boot foot wader. It is camo, and has a tread sole rather than felt, so you might look into it. On sale right now (overstock) at $185 if they have your size.

Just my $0.02.......

Best regards and Happy New Year!

-Doc

juro
12-31-2002, 07:40 AM
If you are going to use them specifically for saltwater coastal purposes, then boot foot makes a lot of sense. Avoid felt for SWFF in the northeast unless you are going to be on jetties the majority of the time, even then it's not the best idea to get on sharp rocks.

I always buy stocking because I can't afford a second pair for my freshwater angling, thus stocking gives me the flexibility to use my guideweight gore-tex waders in fast running rivers with either my studded felts or plain felt boots. Same waders get the flats bootie treatment on the coast.

Downside: it's work to keep sand out of the boots w/ stockingfoot, although I have it pretty well nailed with my anti-invasive debris elimination filament. Otherwise known as DUCT TAPE around the edges to prevent sand from entering! Yes, I take a lot of grief over it. Yes, I get even at the end of the day when we compare sand in the boots - a teaspoon of sand is an unusually large amount in the boots when you tape.

I am not happy with the feet on today's stockingfoots, too thick and insulated for use in warm water / summer fishing and the walking associated with it. I dream of an OS Systems latex stockingfoot for a goretex wader, not going to happen (I called their R&D dept.).

Most bootfoot waders are insulated, making them pretty sweaty too. There just is no perfect SWFF wader IMHO.

Roop
12-31-2002, 10:10 AM
I use stocking foot waders because of my stream days, when I started wading with a heavy boot and couldn't feel the rocks well I had a hell of a time...

I have been using thin wading boots ever since and am confident that they allow me better footing whenever I am wading any structure or tidal area and I can feel the changes in bottom composition at night something I've found to be very important with regards to catching or just fishing.

Happy New Year!

Roop

jimS
12-31-2002, 10:42 AM
I wear guide weight stockingfoots with studded felt sole wading shoes; however, they are heavy and are not the ideal for the amount of travel I do on the flats. I have noticed the use of neoprene diving boots, but don't know if they would withstand a lot of walking.

My thinking right now is a pair of Simms flats boots that I could use for both stockingfoots and wet wading. According to them they need to be one size larger than your normal shoe size. That would require some type of insert for comfortable wet wading.

Any thoughts?

Simms

Quentin
12-31-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by jimS
I have noticed the use of neoprene diving boots, but don't know if they would withstand a lot of walking.

The boots can handle it pretty well (depending on what you're walking on) but the feet get battered! The soft-soled diving booties are nice on smooth firm sand, but even small rocks are painful if they get you in the right spot and the boots don't offer much protection from broken glass or sharp metal. There is no arch support, so even on smooth sand your feet will hurt and cramp after a long day. And, since the boots have no real support, they are quite dangerous for walking among larger rocks. It's easy to wedge a foot between rocks and twist an ankle, or worse. I tried some hard soled booties this year and they are much better than the soft ones, although they still don't offer the protection, grip and support of real wading boots.

Q

fredaevans
12-31-2002, 12:21 PM
Chotas.

Low rise like a good hiking boot, good studs on the bottom (optional as you screw them in), comfortable to walk around in all day but provide good foot support/protection. And they're very reasonably priced

fae

striblue
01-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Bare foot!.... You can have running bets in your own mind whether that huge crab will go for you toes or not! Make up odds, ..have fun.:chuckle: