Chatham Bass... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Bass...

Smcdermott
12-30-2002, 11:52 PM
Doogue,

Here is the picture of the bass I caught of Chatham this spring. Measured about 42". Man I can't wait for spring. Lets just hope the luck of the Irish keeps going!! I took a picture of the picture with the new digital camera so the quality is iffy. Not to mention I am sure there is a component of user error.

Sean

juro
12-31-2002, 12:12 AM
NICE BASS!

COME ON SPRING!!!

FishHawk
12-31-2002, 05:48 AM
As they say on all the fishing shows"Pretty Fish!!!"
FishHawk:devil:

doogue
12-31-2002, 07:24 AM
Thanks Sean....

That made my day! What a gorgeous fish.

And to think that on that very day I was in the bathtub in my kayak doing more paddling than fishing. I am a fool!

It was a great paddle - but nothing I did that day approaches the grandeur of that fish.

Congratulations.

I hope to be by your side when you catch a similar fish next year.

-Mike

Dble Haul
12-31-2002, 09:17 AM
:eek: :eyecrazy: :eek: !!!

juro
12-31-2002, 09:48 AM
Could be the HAT! ;)

Penguin
12-31-2002, 09:50 AM
Two handzz to handle a WHOPPER! :eyecrazy:

Roop
12-31-2002, 10:11 AM
Nice fish and well deserved!

Happy New Year!

BigDave
12-31-2002, 01:06 PM
That is a BIG BOY :whoa:

Must have been fun wrestling that fish in the surf zone. Catch of a lifetime...well done!

Dave

Smcdermott
12-31-2002, 01:39 PM
Doogue, Jeff R, Juro, Jeff B, Penguin, Nick and many others... I should have said this in the first post. If it wasn't for your generousity in showing a new kid around I never would have come close to seeing a fish like that forget landing one this season. Many thanks to all.

Doogue,
We will definitely have to get around the timing issues we had last season and get out early and often next year. I still haven't fished North and South Monomoy and I would love to show you what little I have learned in South County.

Happy Holidays to all. Look forward to seeing you at the show.

Sean

bcasey
12-31-2002, 01:57 PM
OH BOY, Now you've done it! The rest of the offseason is gonna s**k, Sean, I know your a little new to this, but the rest of us are holding our MONSTER pictures until Memorial Day, so as not to get things stirred up too early!:tsk_tsk: :devil:
But seriously, THAT is an INCREDIBLE FISH, nice job!

Adrian
12-31-2002, 03:26 PM
Holy smokes Sean - its almost as big as you!!!! :D

Nice job, thats really got the juices flowing!

jborkowski
12-31-2002, 05:02 PM
couldn't have spent the time with a better guy. another resounding success story of the forum, for me, and as the picture clearly shows, for you.

the niceties aside, you'll always be a punk for beating me "over the hill"...40+ that is

Originally posted by Smcdermott
Doogue, Jeff R, Juro, Jeff B, Penguin, Nick and many others... I should have said this in the first post. If it wasn't for your generousity in showing a new kid around I never would have come close to seeing a fish like that forget landing one this season. Many thanks to all.

Happy Holidays to all. Look forward to seeing you at the show.

Sean

doogue
12-31-2002, 05:57 PM
Sean,

You know what I love about that picture of you and your sea monster - the pose.

I cannot tell if the fish is so damn heavy that your knees are buckling under the weight of the beast or if you are just trying to make sure that your Forum hat fits into the picture.

I applaud you for needing me to prompt you into posting this picture. If that was my photo then it would be my avatar - in my post signature - on my business cards etc.

We will link up more next year. I plan on it. Jeff B is coming over for dinner tonight and I will make him swear that we will hit the shores of Chatham and Orleans on a regular basis in May and June.

Happy New Year!

-Mike

doogue
12-31-2002, 06:28 PM
This was some wacky repeat post...not sure why...edited by doogue

Smcdermott
12-31-2002, 06:39 PM
Well, since it has come up twice I will have to admit that is not the FFF hat. I didn't own one yet at that point. I will make sure to have it on the next time!!!

Sean

juro
12-31-2002, 06:52 PM
Luck of the Irish afterall!

Or was it the pogie oil? :devil:

bcasey
01-01-2003, 02:27 PM
Fish like that, had to be the Irish AND the pogy oil!:D

Doc Duprey
01-01-2003, 02:55 PM
Ok, ok...

I know what Pogy Bait is...what's Pogy oil?

-Doc:confused:

striblue
01-01-2003, 03:14 PM
How did I miss this thread... Wow!...that is an great fish from anywahere and from the surf too..love it Sean... Can't wait for the season to begin..I will have to follow you around...Doc.. I have heard it refered to as ...booze:devil:

Doc Duprey
01-01-2003, 11:11 PM
Well, I am now a little bit less ignorant, and I thank you, John....

However, mere booze, er...Pogy Oil would seem inadequate to celebrate a fish such as this. Magnums of vintage champagne at least!

All kidding aside, a magnificent fish, and a well done to a fine fisherman!

Best regards,

-Doc:)

striblue
01-02-2003, 12:20 AM
Well, I think it is actually Single malt Scotch Whiskey.

Lefty
01-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Good fish Sean. So maybe there are fish in Chatham.

OC
01-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Smcdermott,

What a wonderful fish, hope your wait for another one won't take long and spring comes early.

If you don't mind I think a lot of us would love to hear about the war that took place. The take, the runs, who paniced more the fish or you, did you ever worry about the fish rolling on your leader as you were landing it in the beach break. How many folks gathered around and how many of them were trying to give advice. I'm amazed how many folks will start up conversations with the guy who is doing his best to land a trophy size fish and trying to concentrate 100% on the task ahead of him.

How many of our striper guys had hook ups like that this last year?
Congrats
OC

willmullis
01-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Great fish bud!!! I'd be proud of a fish half that size

Smcdermott
01-02-2003, 08:09 PM
OC,
Here is an account of the events as best as I can remember. I am sure I will add a run or two on top of what actually happen given how my stories tend to grow as time passes.

Sunday June 03, 2002

I had taken the week off to fish South Beach and had a tremendous week fishing the tub. I managed to land over a 100 fish and at least 10 30+. I met up with Jeff Borkowski and his father in the morning and we fished the inside of Nauset in the morning. The blues were running and I managed to land 1. We decided to head to South Beach and fish the inside as Jeff's father had never been there. He had his first day on the flats the day before with Capt. Todd Murphy. We decided to walk the tub since high tide was at 5:15. We fished our way about a mile up from the inside and Jeff and his dad decided to call it a day. The wind was honking about 20mph. I having had such a great week was not ready to give up. I walked up inside and managed to keep the Striper streak alive with a twinkie. The wind continued to blow and I was getting hungry so I started to make my way back in. As I reached the path that runs over the the cut I met up with a couple fly fisherman with tales of big blues on the surf side. I decided to extend my day and take a few casts. As I walked over the dunes I was greeted with the site of a school of "Monsters" in the first wave. I was pleasantly surprised that these blues had stripes. I presented them with a Ray's Fly I had a lot of success with on the inside during the week but it was not what they wanted. I tied on a 7" olive and gray deciever and waited for another school to show. I did not have to wait long and made a cast ahead of the school. Two strips and I saw a fish rush my fly. As the line started to tighten I realized that the wind had blown my line out of my basket and wrapped around my left foot. So there I was with the fish of my short fly fishing life on, jumping up and down in my waders on 1 foot trying to clear my line. I managed to get the line onto the reel and the fish headed north. There was a line of surf casters to my left so I "kindly" asked them to watch my line. The guy next to me was nice enough to reel in. I kept a decent amount of pressure on the fish and moved left with him. I was able to keep him inside the breakers and used the swells to my advantage. All told it seemed like a lifetime but the fight only lasted a few minutes. After beaching the fish I turned into a bumbling idiot with excitement. I reached into my wader pouch to get the disposable camera and managed to drop my cell phone and keys into the drink. Luckily I was able to retrieve them in the next wave although the cell phone did not survive. Well worth it. The same gentlemen was nice enough to take a few photos and the beast was released for someone else to enjoy. It was the perfect ending to a perfect week. Although relatively new to this game I know that fish will always hold a special place in my memories.

Sean

FredA
01-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Great play by play Sean...and great fish too! Just goes to show ya it helps to be a bit obsessive and take "just one more cast".

OC
01-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks Sean,

Great story! Some of us over in the steelhead area were amazed at the fish, the beach break and how tricky it must have been to guide that fish onto the sand without rolling it over your leader. You did one hell of a job. Any idea what that fish weighed? 34 to 38 pounds or am I way off.

striblue
01-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Yes..excellent play by play..felt like I was there.:)

Smcdermott
01-03-2003, 11:56 AM
OC,
I would guess the fish weighed 25-30lbs. It was relatively slender for its length. The fall migration tends to have the fatter fish.

Sean

jborkowski
01-04-2003, 11:50 AM
boohoohoo...that's a terrible story.

especially where JB and HB "call it a day"

stupid....stupid...stupid....

rooster
01-07-2003, 02:39 PM
I caught one just like that picture last spring, only mine was about 2 feet shorter!!!

Greg Pavlov
01-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Sean, what do you mean by the "tub ?" The north end of inner South Beach ? The picture on the left, by the way, with the much smaller fish, is from the South Beach flats the following weekend.