Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly Rod Brands

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 ·
I noticed alot of people here use St. Croix brand flyrods, I see referance to it throughout the many post...

Am I the only Orvis user?
I have three Orvis rods and I love them...

Does anyone prefer Sage, Fenwick or other brands?

Let everying know what you like...

#3 ·
You can be sure that there are advocates of every brand of flyrod on this board. I have cast and fished hundreds of rods, and I think that every manufacturer has their gems and duds. Some have more gems, others have more duds.
If you do a search on the different brands, you will get a good idea of what people like, and what they don't. Haveing said that, I like Sage, Winston, T&T, Scott, Powell, Gatti, G.Loomis, Abel, Redington, TempleFork, Loop, Orvis and St.Croix rods the best. Not necessarily in that order of course.

#5 ·
Fly rods????

Well if I had more money and wanted a new rod I think that Sage would have it. Went fishing with a buddy last week And in the hustle of putting everything into his car from mine I left my rod at home. So he let me use his, it is a 9' 8wt Sage SP. I didn't know that a single hander could throw that much line. With a rod like that I wouldn't need to get a spey rod at all.

#7 ·
abour orvis

Sadly enough, I must agree with BigDave.
I have a 22 year old Orvis Spring Creek that will outcast both of my 1 year old Orvis rods.
The older rod was made before they "CHANGED" their rod formulas, it almost cast it self. :rolleyes:

One of my favorites was an old, tired fiberglass Fenwick 6-wt. It remindes me of the older days gone by... It seems like swinging a tree trunk compaired to these newer design rods... :hehe:

(Remember; at one time, fiberglass was the cutting edge of rod making materials... How we grown)

#9 ·
Well, would be impolite to cut into Willie's probable post.

Actually, only have the one 18 foot B and W so couldn't compare it to anything else I own, or have used. Would like the chance to 'test drive' some of the Diawa rods.

But the one rod that keeps coming back into my mind as the 'sweetest rod' I've ever used is still the 7-8-9 Burkie. Still don't have one ... but maybe that's just as well. Naaaa, I don't believe that for a second ... but Joan does!:whoa:

#10 ·
I have never liked Orvis rods. my father and younger brother love them; but they have always felt way too slow to me. Yes, you can get them to cast a fairly long way if you remember to really slow down your casting stroke; however, when you really put some power to the Orvis rods, they simply collapse my cast because I've overloaded the rod.

I prefer fast, progressive rods like the G. Loomis IMX and GLX, the T&T Horizon rods, or Redington rods. these rods let me put a lot of power into the cast without the rod becoming overloaded and collapsing the cast. I find even rods that Orvis rates as being fast are only medium action at best.

Sage has made some rods that I really liked in single handers in the past, for instance the RPLX, a nice fast and progressive rod. Alas, they no longer make these fast rods. They have gone to a slower action, probably because that is what most casters want. And I must admit that I really like the Sage 7141 and the Sage 10161 2-handers.

The problem you run into with a question such as yours is exactly as Eddie alluded to: different people like different rod actions. One person delight is another person's dislike. For instance, Winston produces some beautiful rods; however, I only like a very few of them, and non of them are what I would term as a true fast action rod (even though Winston does). A very good friend thinks that Winston is the absolute best rod a person can use, and he tells anyone who will listen this. His favorite 2-hander is the Winston 13', 8 weight. A rod that is way too slow for me.

In short, find a rod that you like the feel and action of and use it regardless of what others think.

#12 · (Edited)
SDHflyfisher,

The Redingtons I referred to are the top of the line, every bit as expensive or even more so, than the other top quality rods, including Orvis. The top line Redington 2-hander are over $700.00 while the cheaper Redington 2-handers are $250.00 There is a very noticeable difference between the moderate priced Redingtons and the expensive one. Although, the lower priced Redingtons are nice casting rods and they are, along with St. Croix, a brand that I recommend newcomers look at and use until they have been casting a 2-hander for 3 or so years, when they should have develped sufficient technique to use the higher performance of the more expensive rods.

#14 ·
Willie, now that your "retired ..." one more good reason to ..

Willie Gunn said:
Well seeing Fred never mentioned them I would like to add Bruce & Walker who IMHO make some of the loveliest rods I have fished with. Ilike my Sage 1367 for summer work but for the cold months give me a big B&W. Big is best.

Malcolm
pack up those Beauties and bring them to the #3 Sandy River Spey Clave. Actually, they're a gas and a half. Working on a deal to rent a motor home so several of us can stay "on site" and split the cost. Cheaper, and beats hell out of running back and forth between a hotel room.

THINK ABOUT IT .....:eek:
With much love and respect;
fae

PS: I'll clear it with your wife if you give me HER phone number.
:D

#15 ·
Looked at my post and should have added:

Wouldn't it be TOO COOL to get some of our 'cross Pond' brethern over here for the Clave?????

Idea of meeting these, and non local Board folks, almost makes me 'squeek' in anticipation. That would make the Clave a real Clave!:D

Book your tickets guys/gals!!!
fae

#16 ·
I tend to prefer faster action rods to suit my casting style, and have found that St. Croix (SCIV graphite), Redington 5-pc. Wayfarers, and Loomis IMX rods all perform well for me; consequently, I own one each of these. If your casting style is already pretty solid, then you will be best off testing various rods at a local retailer to find the one that allows you to make the best presentation at whatever distance you normally fish. If you're still a "blossoming caster" (aren't most of us?) but know generally what action you prefer, it will be easier for you to pick up a "good rod" and taylor your casting style a bit more easily to it. You'll have to do that to an extent at any rate, no matter what make and model you go with, but the longer you've been casting and the better you are at it, the more important it becomes to get a rod that closely fits your style.

#17 ·
Who has the best rod?

Who knows.

Probably no such thing. You fish with what turns your crank or with what your spouse allows.

Hey Fred, maybe I'll make it out to the Left Coast one of these years (2004 is looking good for a Vancouver business trip) - I'll even bring the Daiwa howitzer with me.

:devil:

Not that I want to tempt you or anything.

"Wanna 'nother chip? Betcha can't eat just one?"

#18 ·
Let me start out by saying that you are not alone in your use of Orvis rods . I have an older Orvis rod that I use when I fish saltwater flats and it works pretty good in that application. The newer Orvis rods don't seem to have the same feel to them as their older ones do.

As for other rods that I use, I have a Sage, Berkley, G.Loomis, and a Heddon bamboo rod all in different weights. I fish with my 4 wt. Sage the most because it has the action and presentation feel that I like the best.

#19 ·
It's not the rod, it's the person casting it...

Good afternoon,
To the fish, it does not matter if you got a $700.+ XYZ rod with Mystery prestigeous 453 Multi tip Fluorocarbon, or a damn 2x4 with some of mom's clothesline scotch-taped to the end, as long as the presentation is "there". With that said, IMHO, I try to buy local (US) and want a medium priced rod that is going to give me years of dependable service. I chose St. Croix Avid travel, 5 and 7, they take a lickin, and keep on tickin!
Deerhawk

#20 ·
He's right, you know....

Rather than concentrating on the ROD, learn where the fish hold, how to get a drag free drift, etc. That way, you can catch fish. Some organizations hold a fund raiser for conservation benefit by having a "snoopy" rod contest for steelhead. Rod has to be a kid's cheap "Snoopy" rod (or other brand of comic and cheap little kid's spin caster). Plenty of big names show up - AND THEY CATCH FISH, TOO! While it's for fun, and to raise money, it DOES prove the point.

BobK

#21 ·
Pete, any time your ready ....

"Hey Fred, maybe I'll make it out to the Left Coast one of these years (2004 is looking good for a Vancouver business trip) - I'll even bring the Daiwa howitzer with me.

Not that I want to tempt you or anything."

The door 'swings in.' :D

Joan and Fred Evans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.