Lead Mold Makers? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lead Mold Makers?

striblue
12-27-2002, 11:14 PM
Can anyone tell me who, or put me intouch with a lead mold maker?

John Desjardins
12-28-2002, 12:18 PM
Three thoughts.
Use lost wax casting Carve the shape you need out of wax, with a piece for a sprue hole, cast the carved piece in plaster of paris (I'll check my manufacturing & metalurgy books at work to see if thats the right matl), when the plaster of paris is dry, place the assembly in an oven and heat letting the wax run out. You now have your mold. Unfortunately it needs to be broken to remove ther piece you cast.

Try to find a blank mold for sinkers, and grind out the shape you want using a dremel tool. I think that some of the more gear oriented catalogs have them.

Final thought is to look at www.ThomasRegister.com for mold makers, pattern makers , etc. The first two methods will be hundreds or more less than the last, even if you buy all the needed tools.

striblue
12-28-2002, 06:55 PM
Thanks John... I have an idea I am working out in my head and drawing some things about making a clouser head so that it can be more part of the fly head without sticking out so much.

John Desjardins
12-28-2002, 08:17 PM
Give a hollar if you need more info. remember the part has to be able to get out of the mold. I've designed a few unmanufacturable parts :rolleyes: and can help you avoid that.

shadfreak
12-30-2002, 12:26 PM
John
I don't know if this company does custom work but you can give them a try.
Dolphin Sports, Inc.
881 South Rose Place
Anaheim, CA 92805
Phone: (714) 687-9120
Email: info@hiltsmolds.com

They have a website at WWW.hiltsmolds.com
Larry

juro
12-30-2002, 01:30 PM
John -

Our sponsor fishypete.com makes non-toxic weighted bodies and I am sure they would be interested in talking to us about the types of things you and I have been discussing for the last couple of seasons. Have you dropped them a line?

striblue
12-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Excellent..good idea..I will e-mail him with some questions and see if my idea has merit..Thanks for reminding me..

juro
12-30-2002, 11:17 PM
Knowing you I am sure the idea has merit, the question is can we build a case worth his pursuit? Let us know if you need a large order size to get his interest.