Boneclave 2001 Info Page (first pass) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Boneclave 2001 Info Page (first pass)

juro
07-11-2001, 05:38 PM
Check the homepage or the side bar for the link to the new clave info page.

Now accepting volunteers for:

Boat hosts
Food dudes
General help

Juro

Lefty
07-11-2001, 09:18 PM
Sign me up, put me down.

My boat will be there and can help ferry extra cargo.
General help for sure (tables this year?)

Lefty

TinMan
07-11-2001, 09:22 PM
Are alcoholic bev's OK? I'm thinking wine and/or beer...

juro
07-11-2001, 09:30 PM
Terry -

I have four folding tables and I will NOT forget them this year ;-) Thanks for offering your transportation, I look forward to chasing those bustin' tunoids again this year. I hope they come way into the bay again.

Tinman -

Unfortunately no alchoholic beverages are allowed on the refuge. There are also no open fires, but stoves and grills are OK. Other guidelines can be found via the links to the refuge website provided in the information pages.

juro
07-11-2001, 09:39 PM
BTW -

I will be bringing the smoked salmon, thin sliced onions and capers as appetizers for the Sunday reception dinner. The four tables I have should be more than adequate, and I will also bring a large cooler that can be used as a community cooler. I have a new gas lantern, a portable gas grill, and a gas stove. I will bring two folding camp chairs as well. I have two very large tarps that have been the traditional boneclave tarps.

I am hoping a certain clam digging boneclave veteran will be able to attend. ;)

Monday dinner... we eat what we catch, but I am hoping a certain peach cobbler in a dutch oven will make the meal complete. ;)

Boneclave marks the beginning of the homestretch on another season of angling in the northeastern region. After that the days get shorter and the nights cooler. It's the right time to make some memories to tide over thru the winter that divides each season as the years roll by.

Hope we are blessed with another fantastic tunoid sortie this year!

ssully
07-11-2001, 10:15 PM
The Welcoming Committee

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ssully/stuff/91000-3.jpg .

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ssully/stuff/Toga.mp3 .

juro
07-11-2001, 10:42 PM
???

Care to elaborate?

Nick
07-12-2001, 06:54 AM
Animal House!

Lefty
07-12-2001, 07:32 AM
Sully: I'll bring my toga if you're cooking breakfast!

Lefty

Fishinimpossible
07-12-2001, 08:11 AM
Are you guys plaqying cards?

TinMan
07-12-2001, 09:50 AM
Unless I can work a vacation day in for Monday, I'll probably be heading down for some fishing Saturday evening and participate on Sunday's events.

It's not fish, but I make great chicken wings (lived in Buffalo for a bit).

bcasey
07-12-2001, 10:33 AM
Juro,
I'm in for Sunday at least, with 18'CC for shuttle, fish..., also may be able to pull off Monday but not sure yet.I'll keep you posted.

FredA
07-12-2001, 10:38 AM
I'm in for the duration. Can provide general help, bring a kayak.

Fred A.

grego
07-12-2001, 10:39 AM
I'll be there, with or without boat!?

I may do Sat, Sun, Mon, but not sure yet?

striblue
07-12-2001, 11:22 AM
I'll be there for Saturday probably and shoot down for the dinner on Sunday... I will stay in Chatham and commute

Tod D
07-12-2001, 12:30 PM
I've a 16.9 ft canoe, plenty of camping gear (stove, lantern, etc.) and make a mean cold chinese noodle salad...

juro
07-12-2001, 01:41 PM
Fuel for the fire:

Typical scenarios include -

Blitzes right at the opening of the jetty and up inside the inlet for a little ways - bass, blues and tunoids sometimes making runs all the way up the channel in front of the campsite (boat needed). By far the most action for onshore anglers is at the jetty and the beach adjacent to the jetty.

Access to the jetty on the east side is available from South Cape State Park, which also is a great beach to fish with a nice inshore rip forming to the east of the parking lot. It's a bit of a death march to the jetty though.

Campers with basic craft (yaks, canoes, etc) can get to the famous (or should I say infamous) Wacky west jetty from the camp area. Stripers like to use these jetties as ambush points especially when there are juvie pogies around (this is the right time of year for that).

It's entire possible to hook a tunoid from shore in this area, although the number of shots you get are much lower than from a boat.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/froms101/clavepics/bustin.jpg
Bass bustin on pogies mid-day on the west jetty

On boats, the surrounding area is a good bet for tunoids in late summer / early fall. To the east is Succonesset Shoal, where we got into albies, spanish macs (lots), king macs, blues, and bass last year. To the west are Nobska and the Elizabeths; to the south southwest is Middle Ground, the fence, the Vineyard and all of it's fishiness. Vineyard Sound is a great area for tunoids that time of year.

Unlike their cousins to the south, a 9wt is plenty of rod although the speedsters will give you a run for the money on a 10wt too. I prefer to be prepared with an intermediate line as well as a sinking line and have caught tunoids with a number of retrieves from fast double-handed to a down and dirty twitch in a deep rip. In any case when they are busting around you it's sure to get the heart beating fast, and your reaction time needs to be good too - they can be up and down in a heartbeat.

Toothy critters:

It's wise to have wire tippet on hand due to the Spanish Macs and bluefish that you may encounter. Although a visible tippet is not the best thing you can throw at a small tuna (super eyesight) or a wise old striper, you'll sacrifice a lot of flies to macs and blues in the rips otherwise.

Can't believe everything ya hear but I did hear about cobia, flying fish, and king mackeral being caught around the islands recently from a friend. Unconfirmed reports of course, but a fish story is a fish story ;) Couple years back there were a lot of exotics around, and not just the tunoid variety.

ssully
07-12-2001, 02:35 PM
juro (07-11-2001 11:42 p.m.):
???

Care to elaborate?

The image is the silver tarp. Duh!

The MP3 file is the one I was trying to unsucessfully until last night post as a link to my Boneclave... chant. Geez.

juro
07-12-2001, 02:54 PM
I'm easily confused I guess!

Thanks for the clarification.

doogue
07-12-2001, 08:35 PM
All,

I fully plan on being there on Sunday and Monday and maybe even Saturday. I have a kayak and plenty of camping gear and I would be happy to do some cooking.

I really, really want to catch a tunoid...it would be my first.

I am looking forward to it.

-Mike

juro
07-12-2001, 08:46 PM
"A voigin, eh? nyuk nyuk" - Curly

Well Mike, I hope the tunoid wave is strong. Could be a good year!

Roop
07-13-2001, 05:27 AM
I haven't caught any tuna either. I've usually used up all my alotted free time from the family by now. THis season is different & I'm looking forward to the gathering.

Ready to help in whatever way possible, don't have a boat of course but will bring a yak.

Roop

Bobparsons
07-18-2001, 08:17 AM
Ok I've checked the calander and since your having the clave earlier, I can make it for ALL three days.
I'll dig the clams on Wednesday, make the chowder on friday so it has a chance to mellow for sunday dinner.
If the tide is good and the clam gods are nice to me, maybe I can dig some steamers if anyone happens to like them (unfortuneately they tend to run on the larger size)

My boat will be availible for shuttle gear and supplies. And hosting shorebound anglers.

If there is an excess of shorebound angles, and if I have not sold it by then perhaps I could finagle a way to get the lund out there as well.

I'll be out there saturday "scouting"

Bri-RN
07-18-2001, 10:31 AM
Looking forward to participate also. Sun Definitely, possibly Sat and Mon also. Are we staying at the same campground as last fall and if so, do we need to make reservations now?
Brian Z.

juro
07-18-2001, 10:43 AM
Bob -

Glad you can make it, it wouldn't be the same without you.

Brian -

Reservations already made for site #9, the group campsite.

More details will go up in the next 24-48 hours.

Hawkeye
07-18-2001, 05:18 PM
The Estey Bro's will be there and I think the whole time. Cobbler will be served and we'll have the boat with room for one fellow FF unless we can talk our dad into joining us and we'll have a full boat - even then it might be nice to mix-n-match so everyone gets a chance to fish with someone new.

Lefty
07-18-2001, 08:55 PM
Wow, I'd say critical mass achieved. The tradition continues.
Let's find Brian C. now. Hey Brian you out there?

Lefty

juro
07-18-2001, 09:05 PM
The TUNOID TERROR? The albie authority? The hardtail honcho?

If I recall, didn't you guys get 16 tunoids in one day or something like that back in BC I?

Dave
07-18-2001, 09:05 PM
Count me in, too. I'm looking foward to my first Boneclave.
Dave Williams

juro
07-19-2001, 09:02 AM
Dave (07-18-2001 10:05 p.m.):
Count me in, too. I'm looking foward to my first Boneclave.
Dave Williams

Glad to hear you can make it Dave! Gotta get all the good days on the water we can before we find ourselves casting indoors again. ;)

bcasey
07-19-2001, 08:50 PM
Hey Lefty, Are YOU talkin to ME ? just kiding, since the site went down, I'm having alot of problems logging on, posting, and just getting around FFF. Anyone else experiancing the same ? HELP, I'm flippin out, both my home and work computers, so I din't think it's me, but with my limited knowledge of these darn machines, it most likely is me. Therefor, Please don't think I'm ignoring anyone.
Signed; Frustrated in Falmouth

juro
07-19-2001, 09:25 PM
Are you still having problems or does the post imply things are back to normal? Let me know if you are.

Lefty
07-20-2001, 09:18 AM
BCasey,

Nope, the Brian C. we're talking of is from the famous post "Footballs at Hedgefence".
Talking Fat Alberts. I hooked up on Albies with a fly, casting into the rips from the bow of his boat when he would stop to fight a trolling hookup. Fun fun.
But I hope you make the Clave too Brian.
Lefty

TinMan
07-20-2001, 10:25 AM
bcasey (07-19-2001 09:50 p.m.):
Hey Lefty, Are YOU talkin to ME ? just kiding, since the site went down, I'm having alot of problems logging on, posting, and just getting around FFF. Anyone else experiancing the same ? HELP, I'm flippin out, both my home and work computers, so I din't think it's me, but with my limited knowledge of these darn machines, it most likely is me. Therefor, Please don't think I'm ignoring anyone.
Signed; Frustrated in Falmouth

Not you. I had the same problems and it seems to have cleared today.

bcasey
07-20-2001, 01:50 PM
It seems to be better now, but since the problems, and my screwing around with the control panel, modem settings and dialing processes at both computers, you guys may not hear from me until next year,at this rate. I feel like i've got a 45" cow on and an entire spool full of tangles in my guides. I'm about to cut the line, dump everything and start from scratch. So, if any body wants me, e-mail me, I can still receive e-mail on my old trusty Mac, But it's slow as hell. Thanks for listening, Oh ya ! Lefty, I'll be at Washburns on Sunday with boat, looking forward to it.

fliboy
07-20-2001, 06:42 PM
Another Bone Clave I can't make - son is playing that time in Cooperstown in a Field of Dreams Tournament. You guys have a great time, and I'll have to live through the posts that you guys put up once it' over.

One of these years things will line up so I can make it.

Good luck to all who attend - and have a great time.

Tight lines,

Dave

timwatts
07-22-2001, 06:44 AM
Will be there for Sunday and Monday.