FF goodies under the tree? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: FF goodies under the tree?

juro
12-25-2002, 11:05 PM
I ended up with a great new pair of Simms guide weight waders, folding wading staff, techwick pullover to wear on cool fishing days, and a tiny yet super bright light for my vest.

How'd you fare this Merry Christmas morning?

FrenchCreek
12-25-2002, 11:31 PM
Wifey got me a great little wall hanging. It reads:

MISSING : FISHERMAN and DOG

REWARD for DOG!

I just love that lady! I guess she thinks I have enough gear already,

NrthFrk16
12-25-2002, 11:33 PM
Lots of flyfishing goodies ofcourse...but I did finally get a decent digi cam...a Canon A40 (Juro...isnt this the model you have?).

So anways...now I am in frustrated gerbil mode as I try to troubleshoot why my computer will not reconize the camera.

Thought it might be a problem with my USB Port....but my scanner is running fine of them.

Been back and forth, loading and reloading the programs included with the camera...tried loading a driver off of Canon's website but it was a driver that was loaded with the install cd.:confused:

FrenchCreek
12-25-2002, 11:44 PM
P.S.
Greatest gift of all was my 2 sons committing themselves to learning to FFish with me this year. The Bow will NEVER BE THE SAME! and the Pikers will be in constant fear from now on. It justifies buying my new Clack drifter and the 18 Ft. power boat (although that was last year!)

Slinger
12-26-2002, 12:08 AM
I am now digitaly empowered! When I can get through the 150 pages of instructions that came with it I can start bothering you on how to post pics. During albie season I decided that I had to have a top of the line reel, I decided on a Valintine, when my wife heard that it would be my spring toy and saw the price she almost croaked! The gift cert. from my daughters will get me off on a good start to my quest. I can`t wait to start making up for 40 yrs. of never having a camera on me.
Slinger

striblue
12-26-2002, 12:16 AM
Are You Kidding... no FF stuff for me... except for a little acrylic paper weight with a salmon fly embeded... Great day ...tied some flies and had a family gathering at the house and showed my relatives my flies... they all wanted to know where the bait went on the hook...

OC
12-26-2002, 12:52 AM
New Simms Guide waders to keep the toes warm and dry. No complaints with that but was hoping Striblue had cut a contract with Santa to distribute the new invisible wader. Maybe striblue did cut a contract with Santa and all of us got a pair and they are hanging on the our fireplace mantel as invisible as can be.

Also got two payed days of fly fishing as a bonus from work and that was great.

Hope you all had a great holiday.
OC

Quentin
12-26-2002, 09:23 AM
I received some great gifts for Christmas and a recent birthday, including a Canon A40 digital camera (plus accessories), Bob Popovics "Pop Fleyes", Ross's "The Fisherman's Ocean" and some compact water-resistant binoculars. Woo Hoo!

Q

willmullis
12-26-2002, 09:54 AM
I got a new pair of waders from my father for a steelhead trip that we are taking soon

Adrian
12-26-2002, 10:41 AM
A big box with ex-oficio printed on the outside and goodies inside :D Oh, not to forget the self prezie - picked up an Abel 3 at 25% off too.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 10:59 AM
New LA spey reel
Miscellaneous fly tying material and tools
Shewey - Spey and Dee Book
Bacalava
Siberian Red Husky -Fur (Life long supply)

PM Out

juro
12-26-2002, 11:09 AM
Ryan -

Yes, I have the A40 and love it, especially the advanced features like playing with exposure times and stuff for night photos.

Do yourself a favor and go pick up a SANDISK usb->compact flash memory reader for $20! You never need to connect the camera to the computer, just use the little direct adapter. It never needs batteries and saves the ones in the camera, and it is blindingly fast compared to the sluggish camera download.

I upgraded to the 128mb card as well, the 8mb is barely enough for a morning on the water. $50 at costco.

FredA
12-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Daughter bought me a bottle of Inchmurrin 10 year old single malt (small family run distillery - anybody familiar with it?).

My son bought me a gift cert. to Home Depot and a bunch of stuff he left at the register. He went to the Bears Den to get me a gift cert. but it was closed. Go figure.

Got a fishin calender with a tip for each day from my sister-in-law.

Got a gift cert. to Fishing the Cape.

Willie Gunn
12-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Fred A,
Inchmurrin/Old Rhosdhu
Producer: William Morton
Region: Highlands
District: Western Highlands
Operating Status (1999): operating

Inchmurrin is a monastic island in Loch Lomond. Just south of the loch, albeit in surroundings that owe more to industrial archaeology, the single malt of the same name is made. The distillery is called Loch Lomond and it has a second malt, Old Rhosdhu Loch Lomond is able to make more than one malt because its pot stills are of an unusual design, and can produce whiskies of different weights.

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/distilleries/loch_lomond.htm

BigDave
12-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Total number of non-flyfishing related presents this year: 2

#1: Playstation 2 from the little lady

#1: Austin Powers Goldmember on DVD

T'was a good year to be sure!

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 11:48 AM
I also have the Canon A40 since September and still don't have down how to take a good close up picture of a fly. Everything else though is fine and it appears to be a good product.

Roger on the 128 MB sans disk memory card, glad I got that right away.

Don't have the SANdisk memory card reader, downloading directly from the camera to the PC has not been a big issue for me yet. Have to check the sales if its only $ 20-30 will get it.

PM Out

John Desjardins
12-26-2002, 12:10 PM
A line for a 10 wt that is yet to be built, and a head lamp were the only fishing goodies. Twas a good holiday.

JimW
12-26-2002, 12:12 PM
Not much in the way of fishing gear for me this year. I did manage to snag some really nice holographic wrapping paper out of the trash though, it should make for some very interesting crease flies.

striblue
12-26-2002, 12:15 PM
As far as cameras are concerned I have a type of Floppy disk which fits into the A drive . You insert the memory card in that and don't need to download from the carema..very convient..but the speed is about the same..but quick to install and use as oppose to plugging in the camera , etc.

striblue
12-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Craig...I tried to send a PM..but your mail box is full... I have the Sony, P- something.very small and at the time I bought it it had 3.2 pics... I think they make one this year in the 4's.. Love it, small, easy to use, easy to down load, and With a couple 128 memory cards..It'sperfect... always had great luck with Sony products.

Eddie
12-26-2002, 03:11 PM
I still haven't opened my presents yet... been too busy. Got a new fishing partner: Abigail Louise, 7.5# on 12/23/02. It was a good Christmas indeed.

Quentin
12-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Eddie
I still haven't opened my presents yet... been too busy. Got a new fishing partner: Abigail Louise, 7.5# on 12/23/02. It was a good Christmas indeed.

Congratulations! What a great Christmas present!

Q

John Desjardins
12-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Congratulations Eddie, Thats the best present of all. Hope everyone is Ok.

juro
12-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Eddie, CONGRATS to you and your wife - you've received the very best gift of all!

2HandTheSalt
12-26-2002, 06:26 PM
Ever seen a hard-anodized striper reel?

http://home.attbi.com/~jayhorton/Hayden_Front.jpg

http://home.attbi.com/~jayhorton/Hayden_Back.jpg

It is a Hayden Barramundi which my wife gave me for Christmas.

Can you say, " Twelve pounds of drag?"

striblue
12-26-2002, 06:35 PM
Eddie..congrats..whats the old saying...That's a keeper!..Jay...that's real Nice....have you got any more info on those reels... I could always use another....and another, etc..

2HandTheSalt
12-26-2002, 07:08 PM
John, here is the link to more info:

http://www.flyreels.com.au/index.htm

They are hard to find in the states right now, but worth the trouble to get one. A friend of mine has been chasing big yellowfin with his Hayden Broadbill and is very impressed with the lever drag and overall durability. In fact, the only reels he still trusts are Hayden and the Charlton which costs three times as much money. The big reels are capable of 25lbs of drag.

Juro please remove the link if that is not allowed.

If anyone wants more info on how to get one, please e-mail me direct: masssalt@yahoo.com

MarkDoogue
12-26-2002, 07:37 PM
All the best to you and your new addition, Eddie.

Dble Haul
12-26-2002, 08:01 PM
I received a beautiful FF theme clock for my tying desk from my brother, and one of my wife's presents to me was a turbo spinning block for making dubbing brushes.

Eddie- Congrats!

Jim- Great avatar pic!

peter-s-c
12-26-2002, 08:53 PM
Reading the list, looks like everybody had a good one.

Spey and Dee flies book (that one got around this year), a couple of fishing store gift certificates from the kids and I made a tool caddy for no.1 son plus a box with fly tying stuff so he can stop raiding my fly boxes (faint hope, I know.)

This spey fly business has the makings of a disease . . .

Oh ya, first Christmas in the new digs and the boss lady put her culinary talents to work in the new, super-duper kitchen. I might not need to eat again for a week.

jborkowski
12-26-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Eddie

fantastic. congrats!

make sure you get a flyrod in her hands asap.

my best to you and your wife. i look forward to our next dinner at joe's with abby in tow.

NrthFrk16
12-26-2002, 11:41 PM
:)

juro
12-27-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 2HandTheSalt
John, here is the link to more info:

http://www.flyreels.com.au/index.htm

Juro please remove the link if that is not allowed.

No, it's allowed but as I've said a thousands times (and as it says in the announcement at the top of the forum) when you post a direct link to a non-sponsor all we ask is that you send an email to them suggesting sponsorship of our community (cc: sponsorships@flyfishingforum.com)

It doesn't take more than a minute and our track record of member suggestion emails has been pretty good.

Just drop them an email (don't forget to CC) and we're good.

thanks,
Juro

FishHawk
12-27-2002, 05:51 AM
Icom M2v radio
Sterns inflatable vest for peace of mind when wading the flats.
Spare Lampson spool.
Comtemporary Flytying a great book.

Eddie congradulations .
FishHawk:D

Hawkeye
12-27-2002, 03:42 PM
Looks like Eddie topped us all!!! Congrats!

I received a Reddington 13/14 reel, a 14 wt sinking line, a 14/15 wt blank with supplies to build it, and one of those auto inflate vests for which the name escapes me for the moment. Can you say bluefin on the fly?

fredaevans
12-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Two new spey reels, two Mark B tip launcher lines, two pairs of polly-prop/thinslate socks, three cases of a very good Chard, etc., and etc.

The weather's gone to hell in a hand basket again, think I'll sample that chard tonight. It's the "manly" thing to do ... right??
:devil:

flytyer
12-27-2002, 09:36 PM
A Redington AS 11/12 reel, a RIO type 8, 11 wgt. sink tip, a pair of Argus secondaries, and 22 African Grey Parrot red tail feathers 4 inches long. My wife chose well this year. And our 15 year old got a pair of neoprenes so he can fish for winter runs without getting cold.

watersprite
12-28-2002, 01:24 AM
Well I sorta got the FF stuff early this year, like during September. I did get some much needed technical clothing and gloves for winter steelheading, though. It was a grand Christmas.

It turned out to be one of my better Christmas seasons when my dad showed up (we haven't spoken for some 30 odd years). We talked almost to the wee hours with my mother so giddy with happiness that she blushed most of the time. It was indeed a grand Christmas!

Love you, dad.

Steven

kush
12-28-2002, 02:29 AM
I have my family pretty much spooked about buying me fishing stuff - but I still did okay...

Dana finally got tired of waiting for me to give him back his old Sage 7136 that I love so much - so he gave it to me - that is a buddy!

I got a cool headlamp for O'dark thirty Ninja sorties on the Thompson.

Cool and excellent fleece stuff for under waders

Assorted flytying bits and pieces in the stocking

Maybe the 2 best are ones I gave, I went crazy on my 11 year old nephew who has shown real interest in flytying and outfitted him whole hog with vice, tools, feathers etc - he loves it!

Finally (this may be cheating) I gave my good wife Sandi the Canon A-40 under the tree - I wonder if she'll notice I took it next week when I go to Vancouver Island?

fredaevans
12-28-2002, 06:52 AM
There is nothing I could possibly add to this. With Ed we have birth, and with Steven: renewal.

[/B]It turned out to be one of my better Christmas seasons when my dad showed up (we haven't spoken for some 30 odd years). We talked almost to the wee hours with my mother so giddy with happiness that she blushed most of the time. It was indeed a grand Christmas!

Love you, dad.

Steven [/B]

:D
fae

BobK
12-28-2002, 07:50 AM
Mine was a great Christmas - all of my kids and grandkids back together at once, a couple of reels and a line that I really wanted, two (different power) close-up lenses for my digital cam so I can take pics of my flies, and some of my son-in-law's favorite single-malt. A great time.

We all took some time to remember the servicemen who are off protecting us in far-off places - our good wishes go with them.

Wishing you all a joyous, healthy and prosperous New Year!

BobK

pmflyfisher
12-28-2002, 10:08 AM
Looks like we have several members with the Canon A40 -

Kush, Juro, Ryan, Quentin, Nrthfrk16, and PM (me).

Still need to do close up fly pictures better now that I figured out how to down size them.

Looks like I need a close up lens for the A40. Any one got one ?

PM Out

Smcdermott
12-29-2002, 09:22 PM
Picked up both the chest pack and Creel from William Joseph. Think I am going to keep the Creel and return the chest pack for a pair of Action Optics.

Also got "The Moon Pulled Up an Acre of Bass" Kaminsky, and "Bonefishing", Kaufman.

Not an A40 but an S30. May need some help with the finer points of the camera. Looking to get the waterproof case before spring.

Can't wait for spring to try everything out.

Happy Holidays and New Year,

Sean

doogue
12-30-2002, 07:53 PM
Sean,

All I want for XMAS (belated) is a look at the picture that you claim to have taken of the 40 inch bass that you supposedly caught on Nauset last year!

Let's see it!

Perhaps you could post it in a new thread so that I do not, once again, promote thread creep.

Hope to see you soon.

-Mike

Smcdermott
12-30-2002, 09:03 PM
Mike,
I had the picture at the hardtail clave this fall. Maybe someone else can vouch for its authenticity in the meantime. I tried to load at my mothers over Christmas but she bought a new PC and lost the CD with the driver. I will try and see if I can take a picture of a picture with the new camera. Maybe it will work. We still have to get together for some tying and I will be sure to bring it with me.

Happy Holidays,
Sean

FlyMan
12-31-2002, 06:45 PM
Here's a shot of my two major gifts, a custom made rustic fly tying desk my wife had made for me and a DynaKing Barracuda vise the kids gave. Couldn't ask for a more understanding & loving family.

http://www.kordaystudio.com/Desk.jpg

loco_alto
01-04-2003, 12:38 AM
I got a haul that would impress a seine trawler..

Kreh / Sosin knot book
A Gierach Book about Rocky Mt Dry flies
"Shad" by John McPhee (chugging through this great book)!!!
RIO Intl Spey Video - nice now that the rivers are blown

and finally a new vest, of my choosing, that doesn't fit!

Adrian
01-04-2003, 10:09 AM
Follow up to earlier post....

My boss felt I was deserving of a $50 amazon voucher (bless her) - classics by Popovics and Veverka arived yesterday :D