2004 Fishing Partners ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 2004 Fishing Partners ?

pmflyfisher
12-25-2002, 10:13 PM
New additions to the family today Siberian Reds Husky Pups.

Two brothers from the same litter, 11 weeks old. Parents are both show dogs and pedigree etc.

If you see a spey fisher in 2004 on a Michigan river with two siberians its probably me. Suppose one could guard the upper and one the lower part of the drifts as I work may way through.

A side benefit is there coat and tails have fine thick hair, reminds me of polar bear !!. Hmmm possibly another source of hair wing material, they shed twice a year, guess who will picking up their hair?

Note that one is light and one is darker, good color combo possibilities.

Siberians are great family dogs, looks like my boys have named them Blaze (red coat) and Shane (white coat).

Twas a very interesting christmas morning here with the breeders who are from Kalamazoo, Michigan who we had not met before, the two husky parents and their four pups, of which we now have the two brothers sleeping upstairs.

Merry christmas and happy new year to all !!

PM Out

Whiskey Dick
12-26-2002, 02:41 AM
Nice looking dogs, my fishing buddy is called Nicki and loves the front of the drift boat, this was on the Deschutes on monday.

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 06:29 AM
WD, nice dog, what breed is it?

peter-s-c
12-26-2002, 10:02 AM
Nice pups, Hal. BTW. how did you resist call them 'Dubbin' and "Wing"?

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Peter,

I was out voted 4-1 on everything. (Wife and 3 sons won out on all decisions).

Oh well the tail hairs look excellent for hair wings and the body fur excellent for some dubbing material.

Plus if I cannot walk out on the snow and ice covered fisherman trails up in Michigan I will just let them drag me out, they love to run and pull. :D

Thats a couple of years away though, they are just playful pup brothers now.

PM Out

Willie Gunn
12-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Did you get chance to read your Shewey - Spey and Dee Fly book or were you too busy with the mop and bucket. The dogs look lovely and not at all scissor shy yet.

Malcolm

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 10:54 AM
Malcolm

I am inprocess of reading the Shewey book and will have some questions for you.

There are a couple of spey/dee patterns I have to learn how to tie. They have distinct possibilities on some of our waters and of course will move me to a higher plane in the GLs spey fly fisherman clan. I don't want to be called "sacrilegous" forever using my nymphs on the spey rod you know. I have sensitive feelings and ethics about these things you know.

They are friendly little buggers running around playing with each other in the snow this morning out in the back yard. Won't show them the scissors for a while.:chuckle: :chuckle:

Cheers,

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 11:06 AM
remember about the 1'/2" gap rule in Michigan, wouldn't want the DNR fouling up you trip. Imagine a mini-spey on a #10 , it may have possibiliteis.

peter-s-c
12-26-2002, 11:33 AM
1/2" gap rule? No gaps larger than 1/2"? Anti-snagging rule I suppose.

Looks like we're all in a rut as I Santa brought me Shewey's book as well. I've been using commerical burnt hackles but this is the first time I've read about how it's done. Nice to know.

There are a fair number of spey tiers in this neck of the woods, doing both fancies and traditionals. They fish the traditionals. I doubt I could bring myself to fish a fly that took so much effort to do right - especially with my liberal tendency of contributing to the RBBP.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 11:42 AM
Yes michigan adopted 9/1/02 1/2 inch hook gap max anti snagging rule on all andramous rivers. No weight below the fly has also been in effect. No scented flys or scents on you in the fly fish only and no kill sections.

I have to go through my pre trip regulation compliance control check list before each trip now.

I am the same on the spey flies cannot get myself to use them most of the time when I know they are going to end up in a sunken log. To much time to tie them and then lose them so quickly.

PM Out

striblue
12-26-2002, 12:17 PM
Hal, bueatiful dogs...very nice!

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Spiders/popsicles are easy to tie and draw in the fish. I would not even think of buying jungle cock or any of the exoctics, too much hassle.

Shewey's book is a good one, he also sells all the feathers, threads, etc that one would need. His marabou is top flight.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 12:31 PM
Jungle cock and exotics :chuckle: :chuckle: , remember what Mr. R. H. Brown said about steelhead flys which is true to this day ?

I got the Shewey catalog and will be buying some items from him.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm not that old my friend. Never fished with him.

I do remember, funny thing about him is that he was a certified hardware fisherman. Throwing spoons and spinners is very much like swinging flys.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 12:50 PM
I used to be a deadly spoon and spinner fisher in my younger days ? :D :D

Have not thrown spinners for steelhead in a river since 1981 or 1982. I think it is a deadly technique if you know how to do it just drives them crazy seeing that come in front of them.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 02:02 PM
Had many 15 to 20 fish days during the glory Skamania runs during the 80's. All on gold/green spinners. Took some on flies, but spinners were my tool of choice.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Yep gold spinners were the ones, don't think I had much luck with silver. Did you ever hear of a CP Swinger ? Don't think they make them any more.

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 03:04 PM
Silver was/is a winter spinner. Silver/pink tape tubing. Hadfish swin 20 to 30' to slam them. That was all in ice water.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 03:10 PM
Maybe I should buy some spinners from you and pack the spinning rod for those desparation days. These of course would be for my 15 year old son who I want to take steelhead fishing soon. I will make sure no one around me has a digital camera nor knows who I am. Don't want any flicks showing up on the forumn like other members in good standing have been subjected to recently. :D :D

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 03:28 PM
If memory serves, RHB would carry both rods (spin and fly) when he went out.

If I have any parts laying around they are yours. Won't take long to build them. They are packed away with my cardinal 4's and cardinal 3's somewhere.

juro
12-26-2002, 03:54 PM
I have summer flies that have been swung over several seasons and brought fish to them reliably but have never been lost to a stone or log, and surface flies that have lasted even longer.

Some of my spey flies seem to have lasted in my box 'too long'. Although they have caught fish I often retire them for a freshly tied version because the hook gets tarnished on the clips or the dressings get tired after a few gnarly bucks eat them.

Did the spinners get snagged up on the bottom and on logs too?

Whiskey Dick
12-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi mjyp, Nicki is a mutt, she has some chow and that is all i can tell you about her. She was about 2 years old when we took here in and it was a good move for every one,tight lines,brian

Willie Gunn
12-26-2002, 04:29 PM
Juro,
Do not encourage these talks of hardware chucking. Give them a warning and remove 1000 posts for talking about catching Steelheads on hardware.:hehe: :chuckle:

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 04:32 PM
Juro,

We would snag at times but the were easy to get back. Think of a bow and arrow, bend your rod into a bow than twang you line a few times. More often than not they would come back I used to uy the parts and build them, so at .40 each losing 1 or 2 a day was no bother. Our rivers (really creeks NW Indiana) are not that big and deep, so you could if you wished wade out and get them.

In reality I did not lose too many due to the bottom, lost more in the jaws of fish than anything else.

WD,

Sometimes mutts are the best dogs of all. Had a samoyed and collie mix that was the best dog I ever had.

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 04:35 PM
Willie,

Sometimes the past comes back to haunt us.

I can say this swinging a spinner is so much like swinging a fly. Thats probably why I am so bloody good..:smokin:

peter-s-c
12-26-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by mjyp
Willie,

Sometimes the past comes back to haunt us.

I can say this swinging a spinner is so much like swinging a fly. Thats probably why I am so bloody good..:smokin:

Which accounts for my results as I spent my misbegotten youth chucking red devils for pike and jitterbugs for bass.

Like to know how Juro keeps his flies. Either he skates 'em across the top or the PNW is so organized, they have someone cleaning the snags off the river bottom before the beginning of each season.

:hehe:

juro
12-26-2002, 04:57 PM
I suspect I fish wet flies a lot like folks fish spinners and spoons!

BTW - beautiful dogs, all three. I miss my fishin' dog Cody but my "pup" (130 pounds or so) keeps us busy. I see the husky pups got a little excited to see you! :hehe:

peter-s-c
12-26-2002, 05:13 PM
They probably saw the scissors and the gleam in Hal's eye!!

:chuckle:

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 08:09 PM
I will get a close up picture of their tails, they are going to make some lovely hair wings. :devil:

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-26-2002, 08:18 PM
Just don't use the zoom. Please

pmflyfisher
12-26-2002, 09:10 PM
I am gaining their confidence with treats and constant petting, they are sleeping together right now against the front door on the cold tile floor. This 20 degree weather is nothing to these guys.

Down side is I had to put all of my fly tying stuff away otherwise they would be having a chew fest on my pheasant skins and squirrel tails etc...:eek: :eek:

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-27-2002, 06:26 AM
It's amazing how those siberian dogs like it cold!! Bet you'll be putting in another ac unit this summer. Think BTU's lots of them:)

pmflyfisher
12-27-2002, 09:09 AM
True, they lay by the front door on the cold tile against the door where the cold air is leaking in and go to sleep. Last night the two of them dug a hole in the snow and dirt in the back yard and jumped into it. Sat their looking out being cool.:cool: :cool:

Will take a better picture of them so you can see their faces, they almost look alike twins at times.

PM Out

Lipripper
12-27-2002, 09:10 AM
Hal,
Great looking pups. They look like Steelhead Dawgs already! I thought you were gonna get one. What happened? Couldn't make your mind up? I will trade you out some Grey Drake hair for some white/red wing material:hehe:

John

PS Keep those pheasant capes WELL OUT OF SNIFFING SNOUT' S REACH! I learned that one the hard way.

pmflyfisher
12-27-2002, 09:38 AM
Lipripper,

We were planning on getting two pups. My youngest son, Ross wanted a husky. We could not find one until my wife started making calls last week through her animal welfare league contacts. Found that Tala Siberians in Kalamazoo was the only one in driving distance of Chicago with siberian husky pups for sale. They have a web site where you can see their dogs. We also had a search for a chesapeake retriever pup that has now been called off. After seeing the two pups wife and three sons out voted me and we decided to take two of them.

The breeders said they are great out door dogs, love to run and interestingly also love the water and are good swimmers.

I am sure they will like winter steelheading in Michigan. Cold does not bother these boys. They are breeded for that. There ancestors were the dog teams that lead the discovery of the north and south poles. We have 3 books on siberians now interesting history.

Oh yeah they can jump also. I was petting their father "Dief" who is a show champion, stood up, and in an instant he had a jumped up and licked my face before I could react. I am 5" 11''.

Wife just called they are getting comfortable in their new home, day 2, digging holes in the snow etc...

Life is never dull around our house and now will be even more interesting.

Shoot me a PM when the fishing heats up, current reports from there look a bout the same, slow. Oh well if you get a nice day in upper thirties and no wind it still can be a beautiful peace ful day in winter wonderland.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Funny you mentioned a Cheesie, was looking into getting one 3 years ago until I did some serious research.

Found out they needed massive amounts of time both in and out of the water to ease their boredom, I guess the bore easily. Which means they take it out on your favorite toys.

Settled for a Choc Lab, he settled right into a laid back lenny lifestyle. He enjoys his Saturday and Sunday runs in the corn fields, but alos likes laying on his bed sleeping. Bets of both worlds.

pmflyfisher
12-27-2002, 12:07 PM
One neighbor has a brown lab pub, does not hunt him.

Other neighborhood friend from years of youth baseball and his kid plays with mine on Richards football team. He has a 2 year old black lab that he pheasant and duck hunts with. He is a big hunter.

I gave up huning deer, duck, upland game, etc. in 1972 but I am not giving up fly fishing.

Maybe I will get into dog snow sledding with the siberians ? Pack into those out of the way winter steelhead areas.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-27-2002, 12:34 PM
The cost of your winter fishing gear just went up.

Save the $$ walk in and buy a T$T 13'er you won't be sorry.

pmflyfisher
12-28-2002, 10:01 AM
I will be looking for a used T+T, never would buy an expensive rod like that new. You can call me "prudently cheap" if you like it will not hurt my feelings.

Had to puppy sit last night. Heres a new picture of them. People were asking my wife and boys yesterday when they took them out where we got the baby coyotes.

BobK
12-28-2002, 01:15 PM
Hal -

Taking young malemutes on a steelhead trip MAY be courting disaster - unless they are fully trained. As I recall, alaskans feed their dogs on frozen fish (salmon), and the dogs LOVE 'em - that I can guarantee. They MAY help you land them, but it sure won't be for catch and release .......

Cute dogs, by the way, and I'm sure you will be happy with them. Keep the faith - it'll only take about a year for them to get over chewing everything in reach, and even chain can't keep them from going where they want!

I speak from experience! But they are so neat, your anger and frustration melts when they vie for attention, as affectionate and innocent as can be.

BobK:chuckle:

pmflyfisher
12-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Bob K

Thanks, they sure play rough, chasing each other around the back yard playing biting each others tails. They tire each other out and then go to sleep for a while. At least that was our strategy in getting two.

Oops got to go my beloved NY Giants are on now. Hard choice between football and fly fishing for me. Right now its play off football.

Will check in later today.

PM Out

fredaevans
12-28-2002, 01:54 PM
'Taking young malemutes on a steelhead trip MAY be courting disaster - unless they are fully trained. As I recall, alaskans feed their dogs on frozen fish (salmon), and the dogs LOVE 'em - that I can guarantee. They MAY help you land them, but it sure won't be for catch and release ....... "

Sheba's pushing 13 and still has bursts of 'puppiedom' when I'm sliding a fish onto the beach. Normally a SHEBA MOVE!! will do the trick ... for a moment or two. Interesting trying to convince/move an excited pooch when you have a 15-16 foot long rod in your hand with attendent line and leader beyond that....and a fish who wants to be anywhere but there.

Been more than once where I've just handed the rod to a bystander and pushed a woofing pooch out of the way so I could pop a hook and release the fish. If you have an 'audience' it will be worse as "they" tend to play to the crowd.
:D

removed_by_request
12-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Brought a dog I had once to the river, darn thing started to eat the dead salmon. Man did that dog get sick. Lets just say the ride home was an adventure.

BobK
12-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Many years ago, right after Korea and when we first got out of the Marines (just about 50 years ago), my buddy and I left for a weekend early spring trout fishing trip. Nice, warm late April day, we had the top down on his Mercury convertible, and his young good-looking Lab perched attentively in the back seat. We stopped in to visit briefly with our ol' buddy, Basil Croft, who ran a bait shop and tourist trap in the Adirondacks, and while we were inside chatting with Basil, the lab jumped out of the back seat and made a beeline for a big pile of dead smelt, and joyously rolled around in them before we could do anything.

Even with the top down, and after 2 baths, the smell was UNBEARABLE! (Even on the way back, 2 days later when it was snowing out - with the top still down!). The dog spent most of the weekend tied to a tree about 50 yards downwind from our campsite, but every once in a while the wind would shift..... It took a lot of help from some Yukon Jack to make that trip bearable.

Aah, yes, memories of doggies and fishing!

BobK:hehe:

pmflyfisher
12-28-2002, 11:21 PM
My god I just realized I just started a dog thread on a world wide fly fishing forumn. :chuckle:

Should I delete it ?

Fred informed me as the starter of a thread you have the authority to delete it. I must have missed the forumn's training course on thread administration.

Bob K, good story about the lab, poor dog, he thought he was having fun with those dead smelt.

PM Ou

pmflyfisher
12-29-2002, 10:11 AM
Heard a crash upstairs they just pulled our christmas tree down

They were playing and survived the crash, my wife had an unstable base on the 10 foot artifical tree so I can blame her, now we have a horizontal xmas tree laying on the floor until we can take it apart later today.

Such is life with two siberian pups !:whoa: They sure are cute and smart though. :D

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Good idea to invest in a crate. Dogs love them, it reminds them of a burrow.

pmflyfisher
12-29-2002, 03:47 PM
We got a big crate yesterday from one of my wifes girl friends.

It will be their home when no one is home for sure.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-29-2002, 07:04 PM
We leave the door open on it, our lab goes in there at night to sleep. They really like that sheltered feeling.

fredaevans
12-30-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by pmflyfisher

They were playing and survived the crash, my wife had an unstable base on the 10 foot artifical tree so I can blame her, now we have a horizontal xmas tree laying on the floor until we can take it apart later today.

Such is life with two siberian pups !:whoa: They sure are cute and smart though. :D

PM Out

I AM LOVING THIS!!!!!!

Can't say I ..... :D

Puppies are the cutest things God put on this Earth ... but having said that .... :smokin:

"Fred informed me as the starter of a thread you have the authority to delete it. I must have missed the forumn's training course on thread administration. " No Way In Hell Am I Going To tell You How To Pull That Off!

PS: Darn, forgot to ask: on how good a terms are you with your housecleaner?
fae

peter-s-c
12-30-2002, 07:08 AM

PM Out

Our son came back home to live for three months and brought his rotti/black lab cross with him. Lovely dog, she wrecked the house - after we had sold it. Spent those three months doing more repairs than I had the previous 14 years.

Have fun . . . . :devil:

removed_by_request
12-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Bad thing is they bore so easily then wham they tear something up. Usually the house, best advice crate em, and possibly nueter them. Especially males they will get game on you.

FlyFishAR
12-30-2002, 10:57 AM
Hal:

Hide your cork handled fly rods, and expensive feather capes!!!!!!!!

I learned that lesson the hard way. :rolleyes:

Kind of hard to be mad at big puppy dog eyes staring at you. :(

John

Lipripper
12-30-2002, 10:50 PM
Costs of 1 Weim with seperation anxiety and no crate for the first 3-4 months=

3 sets of blinds
80 square feet of carpet
window molding
kitchen utinsles
down comforter
girlfriend's underwear:hehe:
Misc Capes
a couple bags of misc feathers
Shoes
Other misc clothes
You name it...he's gotten into it.
Get the crates!
The one peice of mind I have is I know that no matter how hard he digs he ain't never gettin through that PVC plastic. The REAL key to it is to make sure that you put em away tired. I think I like having my dog the most right after a full day hunt or fish. He just curls up at my feet and snoozes the night away. 50's and rain today.....Muggy...Overcast.....Big smiles!:D

John

pmflyfisher
12-30-2002, 11:30 PM
They are adapting to the crate. No way can we leave them alone for a while. I put all of my fly tying stuff away, and now only bring out what I need for the current tying session.

It was nice the first 5 days were here with the snow on the ground. Now its gone withour 55 degree weather today, so when they roll around playing with each other in the back yard they come in looking dark brown instead of white/tan.

My precious fly rods are always cased and in the closet. Bet they would like to gnaw on that cork though. Have to watch that for sure.

They have to be neutered per the purchase contract with the breeder.

Their pretty smart, almost house trained, they know when to go to the back door and hit the bells on the door knob when they have to go.

Have not seen our pesty squirrels yet since they have been here.

PM Out

removed_by_request
12-31-2002, 08:16 AM
The sooner you nueter them the better, its easier to do on a young dog than an older one. Cheaper too!!! Vet will probably give you a 4 for 2 discount.

FlyFishAR
12-31-2002, 08:43 AM
mjyp ...... Do you think if they nuetered Hal that it would keep him from digging holes in the yard? :hehe:

John

pmflyfisher
01-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Good dogs so far they just play and wrestle with each other all day and then sleep on top of one another. Have not destroyed anything yet.

But when they do, this is where they will be.:D :D

removed_by_request
01-01-2003, 06:16 PM
I'd get a second crate. Male dogs need their space, they have to determine their roles. One will be the alpha dog, once that happens one crate will be an issue.

Good luck

pmflyfisher
01-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Yep will need that, but the way my wife treats them they will have their own separate rooms eventually and I will be sleeping on the family room floor in my sleeping bag. :whoa:

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-01-2003, 09:31 PM
You'll probably need to grab a good shovel to pick up all the scat.

They can leave a good sized mess when they get older.

pmflyfisher
01-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Remember we had a great dane for 8.5 years prior to these siberians.

PM Out

fredaevans
01-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Yep will need that, but the way my wife treats them they will have their own separate rooms eventually and I will be sleeping on the family room floor in my sleeping bag. :whoa:

PM Out

Trade in the small crate and get a large one for yourself.:whoa:

pmflyfisher
01-02-2003, 02:48 PM
I guess after 26 years of marriage anything is possible.;)

PM Out

removed_by_request
01-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Naww Hal wouldn't like the crate, he needs room to run and play.

I heard if you scratch him behind the ears.......

fredaevans
01-02-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by mjyp
Naww Hal wouldn't like the crate, he needs room to run and play.

I heard if you scratch him behind the ears.......

scratch behind the ears part. Fortunately she didn't go into greater detail.:D Not sure if this is a 'small,' or 'large' blessing in the "TMI" department.
fae

pmflyfisher
04-17-2003, 11:16 PM
They are 6 months old now and that fur and tails are looking very nice to a fly tyer.

Shedding should start soon.

Tying soon after to follow !!

PM Out

SDHflyfisher
04-19-2003, 11:32 AM
nice looking dogs
i am planing to get an alaskan malemut in a few years after i get my bird dog