Winter Midging on Upper Yakima [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter Midging on Upper Yakima

Dry Fly Angling
12-23-2002, 01:22 PM
Spent winter solstice stalking wild 'bows on Washington State's upper Yakima River. Water temp was 39 degrees, flows were steady at around 460 cfs, and there was roughly 7 feet of vis. After about an hour of observation, sighted two BIG noses taking single midge adults. (Didn't see any clusters.) Both trout were holding in the edgewater of a tailout. First trout took a #20 Griffith's Gnat (w/sparse grizzly hackle) on 6x, but uncorked after three violent head shakes. I misread the riseform on the second trout and put it down with an off-target cast.

Mark Pederson
Chief Guide & Instructor
The Dry Fly Angling Company
www.dryflyangling.com

JimW
12-23-2002, 03:29 PM
Mark, Nice to hear a fishy story this time of year. You may want to refrain from posting your business link. The board is supported by sponsors and it really isn't fair to them for someone like yourself to promote a shop or guide service a la frebie. I think it's in the terms and conditions of use but who reads those anyway. :hehe: I'd love to hear some more fish stories and the board can always use quality sponsors. I'm sure the management will chime in on this.

Good luck out there.