Lobster Log Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lobster Log Fly

striblue
12-21-2002, 04:53 PM
This is my first attempt at a lobster fly tied in the Crab Apple fashion. I will do a recipe after I figure out what I did. The Lobster Log.

striblue
12-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Down view:

Dble Haul
12-21-2002, 05:43 PM
John, that's really good for a first stab at it. You're probably encountering some of the same issues that I am as I try to develop a crayfish pattern in this style. I'll bring some of mine to Marlboro and we can compare notes. The lobster and crayfish anatomy are very similar.

They aren't refined enough yet to put into the warmwater archives. But soon. :)

striblue
12-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Yes... I already see where I can improve on the tying sequence..but the real fun is that the back of the lobster is using Partridge feathers I would not normally be using for the other patterns.

saltydog
12-22-2002, 06:57 AM
STRIBLUE, I can see the color combo is there, w/ the partridge feathers, I like it. looks like they will be a RUN on PARTRIGE FEATHERS soon. I have to get some to tie w/ myself.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

FishHawk
12-22-2002, 07:24 AM
Keep this up and the Ironman will have to give up his day job. Nice work .
FishHawk

Smcdermott
12-22-2002, 05:54 PM
John,
Looks good as usual. One thing did come to mind as I looked at it though. With the hook eye under the tail will it interfear with the retrieval. Not sure if it is an issue not knowing anything about presentation technique or movement of Lobsters.

Sean

striblue
12-22-2002, 09:03 PM
Sean... I was hoping nobody would notice..but yes..this was my first one and I was thinking so much about getting the hook up though the back that I forgot about the retreive..which Came to me after my first epoxy application... the hook eye will be below and to the front of the claws..so that it will move forward instead of backwards....but I will do some bath tub retevals first..Good catch!

craig
12-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Don't lobsters walk forward, but if they swim, don't they use the large tail and swim in reverse? If they are in escape mode won't they try and swim away in reverse?

.02 (?)

striblue
12-23-2002, 01:02 PM
Good point Craig.. I know some lobster flies have the hook the way I have it..will do some research..but frankly I think these may be more effective on the north shore... I think I have seen one in Chatham in the last ten years.

DFix
12-23-2002, 02:51 PM
"I think I have seen one in Chatham in the last ten years"

That's kinda surprising considering how far offshore you wade - it's kinda surprising the inshore draggers don't have to steer around you :whoa: