......Look at This!!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: ......Look at This!!!!

striblue
12-19-2002, 01:22 AM
I stumbled across these two pictures while at First Light Anglers at last nights tying session. Bought the magazine which is titled " Art of Angling Journal", Volume 1, Issue 3.... My eyes bugged out and I could not believe the bueaty this guy captured: Tough fly to tye, body id bulsa wood.. I have the recipe if anyone is interested.

striblue
12-19-2002, 01:29 AM
..... and check this shrimp out...

pmflyfisher
12-19-2002, 10:12 AM
Nice,

Lipripper, more input for the new GL shrimp patterns I bought some new material yesterday at the old fly shop. Secret prototypes will be started over the holiday.

PM Out

P.S. Striblue, if I could tie that complex beautiful crab pattern would be one thing, but know I would not have the guts to actually fish it and risk losing it. How many hours to tie one of them you think ?

steelheadmike
12-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Striblue,

Those are beyond real! Astounding! Could you send me the recipees? I would like to try my hand at these little beauties.

Nick
12-19-2002, 10:50 AM
I was up there the other day looking at those flies in the book as well. All I kept thinking was seeing 2+ hrs of work gone in the wisp of a Bluefish :D

You check out those hand carved flyboxes? Pricey, but awesome display pieces.

NIck

striblue
12-19-2002, 01:08 PM
Hal, the interesting thing is that I think it would take more time to "prepare" the material for tying than actually putting it together. The cutting and gluing the hackles seems to take more time than doing the body..... I can post the receipies...but this should be seen in steps.....Nick... $150. for carved fly boxes.. they were bueatiful..but too nice to use and too nice to see floating down the stream or droping on a rock.... Now, if I were in England fishing a chauk Stream with my Barbour clothing and Cane rod, Sterling cigar case and sterling flask made in Birmingham circa 1912... well then .. the box would go nicely.... don't you think ,"old" sport?;)

pmflyfisher
12-19-2002, 02:49 PM
John, thanks there is no way I could fish it even if it meant a lot of fish. Its to beautiful.

A $ 150 fly box, ho ho ho :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Yep the little lady would have a field day with me on that one. I will stick to my $ 20 fly walletts and boxes.

But if I did ever go somewheres like an English chaulk stream to fish with royalty I would see where I could rent the appropriate fishing equipment and clothing.

PM Out

Nick
12-19-2002, 05:20 PM
Yeah, but I could just see some crab patterns crawling around in them, old chap. No hardware to rust in the salt, and the wood is never supposed to swell. :rolleyes:

Like I said...DISPLAY piece :hehe:

Nick

FishHawk
12-20-2002, 06:25 AM
I too wouldn't want to fish the crab after all that work. Reminds me of the time when I did the photography for Roundtable magazine. I forget the tyers name but he made the most realistic nymphs you ever saw. He made molds of the nymph case , then cast them. Great looking nymphs.
FishHawk

steelheadmike
12-20-2002, 10:01 AM
Solution to that little dilema is fish them earlier in the year to avoid Old Razor Lips. Believe it or not a Striper would be more than happy to grap up a crab even if it a month early for them. In my wonderings and from fishing the Hudson in Febuary I have caught fish on Merkins, Shrimp and an assortment of other flies they should not eat until sometime in June. Food is more scarce early in the season so I think they will grab anything that looks edible.