closing hatcheries [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: closing hatcheries

Jeff
12-18-2002, 02:26 PM
In the budget crisis I have read that they will be closing three hatcheries here in Washington. It was kind of funny I was just thinking that maybe this was a chance to scale back the money in hatcheries.

I have followed somewhat a discussion on an other board about this and they are dead set against it. I have to say I hope the cuts hatchery production help the wild fish. It sure as heck won't hurt. I wish some would be on the rivers I fish but a start is a start.

Again let the yelling start.

JJ

Moonlight
12-18-2002, 03:31 PM
This hachery is on the Dungeness and is where some of the Elwha and Dungeness Chinook are being raised (or were). As both are part of threatened or listed stocks I am curious as to how this will play out politically and if the Park Service will do something as they were planning at one time to use some hatchery practices to boost the Elwha recovery post Dam Removal.
As a general response I think getting rid of alot of hatcherys would be a positive development interesting that they chose to keep the Chambers Creek Steelhead stock hatcherys funded while shutting down one that is working on listed chinook stocks.

Moonlight
12-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Sounds like something from a Led Zeplin album...
Just trying to bring back the thread on the Guvmint of Washington State trying to defile the Hacthery system (as in curtail, the first step in elimination). With all the hyperbole extended in regard to minority populations of salmonids in "the East" I thought the closing of Hatcherys in the West would sustain more intrest than that which you dear readers have offered. I remain unaffected overwraught and bruttally true!

Peace in the Valley
Moonlight