Fishing clothes [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fishing clothes

Domenic
07-09-2001, 04:36 AM
LL Bean in Nashua has some nice Tarponwear
like shirts and shorts on sale for 19.99.
Looked like a good deal,just thought I
would pass it on.
Domenic

juro
07-09-2001, 09:47 AM
Good sleuthwork!

Did they have long sleeve flat shirts?

labrax
07-09-2001, 12:27 PM
Guys,

Was up there yesterday afternoon and noticed that the shirts were 100% cotton, not supplex or other microfiber material. The cotton material does not dry as quickly, and I believe that I have read that it does let more UV rays in than does a microfiber shirt. Nice looking shirts, but on a humid day, or after a rain shower, I would rather have a shirt not made out of cotton. Domenic - did you almost by the 'Quest" 8wt, but decline when they couldn't find the tube?

Pete

juro
07-09-2001, 02:09 PM
Cotton makes for great casual work shirts but not the flats IMHO. Long sleeves in a good microfiber shirt saves on the sunburn bigtime too.

Another place to find a great deal is Maynard Outdoors, they usually have around 20% lower price than other stores and carry one of my favorites, the Columbia SPF flats shirt.

Once in a while they discount the Ex Officio at EMS.

Mattb
07-09-2001, 03:28 PM
labrax, thanks for the mention of the Quest 8wt. I work right up the road and I just swung by the store and picked it up. The young lady in the store couldn't find the matching case, but I talked her into giving me one from another rod.

I cast one last weekend at bean's and very nearly bought it right then. Now I'm glad I didn't, saved myself $30.

-Matt

Bob Pink
07-09-2001, 04:09 PM
here's one I've used

http://search.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/search.d2w/report?SearchBy=ProductName&ProductName=bonehead&ManName=NULL&sub=search

MarkDoogue
07-09-2001, 04:31 PM
Domenic
We were at the Concord N.H. store yesterday and decided to purchase two of the shirts you mentioned. Might not fill the bill for a flats trip, but at $20 each they came in handy fishing for small mouth.

Reno
07-09-2001, 05:10 PM
Juro,
Where is MAYNARD OUTDOORS located?
Reno

juro
07-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Bob Pink (07-09-2001 04:09 p.m.):
here's one I've used

http://search.campmor.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/search.d2w/report?SearchBy=ProductName&ProductName=bonehead&ManName=NULL&sub=search

Thank you Bob! I just purchased 2 Columbia SPF quick-dry long sleeve shirts at an incredible price of 21.95 each!

Reno -

Maynard Outdoors is in downtown Maynard next to the CVS across the street from the Fleet bank. If you are passing thru town coming from route 2 on 27, take that right just after the Cumberland Farms (instead of striaght past the police station). I don't know the street, but I drive through Maynard on my commute fairly often. Once you go through the first set of lights it's on the right. No flyfishing stuff, but lots of good deals on clothing and footwear, camp gear, etc.

Honestly, Campmor blows their prices out of the water but the availability on campmor is pretty slim. For instance the shirts I bought from Campmor only came in white in my size. I wanted light blue (see joke post) but they only had limited choices in my size.

PS: I am moving this thread to the gear board for future reference.

Tod D
07-09-2001, 05:45 PM
Re the LLBean shirts, I suspect they're the "classic" bean fishing shirts. If so, FWIW, I picked up 2 last month & have found them to be great freshwater shirts & for good for general kicking around. Provide a bit of bug protection, tabs on sleeves keep them rolled up, comfortable, etc.

Have worn them on a few cool mornings in the salt. They're good, but definitely not on par with the supplex.

jborkowski
07-09-2001, 06:12 PM
Another discount site. A friend sent this one to me a few days ago. Don't know if they're reputable, but looks like they have some good deals.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/

Roop
07-09-2001, 08:36 PM
I have had nothing but great experiences with Sierra Trading Post.

Roop
07-09-2001, 08:42 PM
Edited.

striblue
07-09-2001, 09:21 PM
Ya Roop, right on. Go bare chested ..put war pain on.. and put a feather in your hat.... oh by the way, Juro, time to think about a FFF logo flats shirt..What do you think... and don't anybody start with the uniform stuff...

labrax
07-10-2001, 08:27 AM
This thread got me thinking about a few other places - Sierra Trading Post being one of them. After a brief visit to their site, they have Sportief Supplex fishing shirts for $19.

I just bought a pair of wading boots - couldn't swing the Patagonia Marlwalkers at $115 - figures they have them on closeout for $76.

Matt - glad you got the Quest rod - they are not bad, especially when you factor in the cost.

juro
07-10-2001, 08:32 AM
striblue (07-09-2001 09:21 p.m.):
Ya Roop, right on. Go bare chested ..put war pain on.. and put a feather in your hat.... oh by the way, Juro, time to think about a FFF logo flats shirt..What do you think... and don't anybody start with the uniform stuff...

John -

Since we paid for the embroidery tape from the hats, the cost would be minimal over and above the cost of the shirts themselves. Let's do it.

Juro

MarkDoogue
07-10-2001, 08:43 AM
I also check this site from time to time:

overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=HOME)

Right now they have some shirts and a few low cost fly reels. This is definitely a hit or miss type of site.

~Mark

juro
07-10-2001, 08:56 AM
What's the scoop on these reels at overstock.com...

http://www.aurorasports.com/reels/fly/trillium.htm

$80-$115??

DFix
07-10-2001, 09:32 AM
striblue (07-09-2001 09:21 p.m.):

Sounds like a great idea to do a logo shirt, but -

"no uniform thing" - this, from the "Bead Master"

Hell, Man, how are we supposed to distinguish ourselves on Death Marches and Conclaves into enemy territory if denied uniforms, beaded lanyards for our attack gear and tie-dyed bandannas to identify our clan??? ;D

How dareth thee blaspheme and reduce the identity of the clan to mere pedestrian status ;D ;D ;D

striblue
07-10-2001, 09:32 AM
Hey Jeff, what's with the edit? nothing wrong with your post... I have some "real" indian war paint.. from plant mixtures.. we can share on the next trip.

DFix
07-10-2001, 09:41 AM
Juro - I've looked at those Aurora reels at auction on eBay, but don't know much except to offer they look good visually and are described pretty cleanly.

Thanks for mentioning the www.overstock.com thing - I was just gonna do that ;)

and thanks to others for the intel on where the shirts are less expensive around - I ruined one, along with a pair of tan slacks last night dumping Shock into the buddy's pool -
what an idiot...

John, call me.

Roop
07-10-2001, 10:11 AM
I just realized that I'm not as funny as I thought / think I am.

Need to take the high road.

Ordering my Orvis lifestyle jock strap as we speak!

Roop

striblue
07-10-2001, 01:14 PM
OK Dave ,you got me there. I will put war paint on next time and scare away any nosy tourists. We need drums and smoke signals too.

striblue
07-10-2001, 01:20 PM
Roop... good move ... you will love it.. I got several and they are guaranteed against chaffing. Nice colors too.