"Tiger's Eye" flatwing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: "Tiger's Eye" flatwing

boarmountain
12-16-2002, 05:08 PM
Striblue has asked me to post a few pics so here's one. If you like, more to come.
Mike

striblue
12-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Boar...welcome..glad you were able to figure out the photo process.... Keep it up..Bueatiful flatwings ... you and I are both recent tyers , in the last two years. I think the entire board is compoased of dedicated flyfishermen from around the country. I am sure you will be able to discus these flies with Doc Duprey, Adrian and saltydog, to name a few who love tying and fishing with the flat wing.. Todd Murphy who works with KA. is also a member of the forum...

boarmountain
12-16-2002, 05:51 PM
I am new to SALTWATER tying. I have been a flyfisherman and tyer since I was 10. I am now 38. I used to tie fully dressed salmon flies when I was a teen. Now, I don't have time to do that anymore! LOL. That's probably why flatwings appeal to me, I like the old ways. When I first started saltwater, I tied the usual.(clousers, surf candies,ect.)but just didn't get any satisfaction from that style of tying. Upon reading Abrames ' books , I found a method of tying and fishing that appealed to the trout fisherman in me and I have never looked back. The only modern fly I use is a crease fly. Here is me articulated crease fly.

striblue
12-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Boar... thanks for the explaination...maybe I should start trout flies...but I need to work more on my saltwater... I was thinking of doing a Carrie Stevens grouping but will need to pass on that for a while....I love that crease fly and I have never seen one with the back section like that... I will have to try it.. Thanks.

boarmountain
12-16-2002, 06:39 PM
I think your flies are great! Thanks about the crease fly. That one worked like gangbusters this year. Here is a pic of a few salmon flies I tied in 1982

striblue
12-16-2002, 08:02 PM
Wow... I need to move them to the Salmon Archives so that those guys can see them. ( Juro or Dana,could you move this to the Salmon or Steelhead archive)

JimW
12-16-2002, 08:11 PM
Mike, Sweet looking flies. What's behind the jungle cock eye on that flatwing?

boarmountain
12-16-2002, 08:18 PM
Black laced white hen saddle dyed orange.

Joshr
12-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Re the articulated flies: I experimented with them for the first time this year, and they are a great prospecting type of fly when blindcasting...they make a lot of noise, relect a lot of light, and move a lot of water....they worked gangbusters for me as well. It's feels a little like fishing a rapala with a flyrod, so if you're a purist about your flies, maybe not for you!

--Josh

boarmountain
12-17-2002, 11:32 AM
Well, like I said, it's the only modern fly I use so I guess I'm not a true purist. Something to strive for.LOL

Quentin
12-17-2002, 12:37 PM
Awesome flies. I especially like the crease fly. Please post instructions for making the tail section. I'm a former spin fisherman, so I have no qualms whatsoever about using a "flyrod Rapala" :devil: .

Q

boarmountain
12-17-2002, 06:14 PM
Take a piece of 18 gauge ss wire and bend it in a tight "u" shape. Put it in a vise and tie in a piece of marabou for a tail. Super glue on foam. Attatch w/ another loop tied on to the hook. Finish as usual.

Doc Duprey
12-17-2002, 11:04 PM
Mike,

Wow!

I'm really impressed with your work. Then I find out that you're a Joisey local. Is that true? There is a growing number of tiers and fishermen here in the Garden State who are interested in classic techniques as a way to expand our fishing pleasure. Perhaps you could join us on our next Joisey Mini 'Clave and Flatwing Fling this spring?

In any event, please keep tying and posting (here and www.stripermoon.com). Your work is really inspiring. BTW, I love the articulated Crease fly...reminds me in a strange and perverse way of Gary LaFontaine's articulated 'hoppers and such.

Best regards,

-Doc

P.S.: John, thanks for encouraging Mike to post his work. Makes us all that much better off!

boarmountain
12-18-2002, 02:49 AM
Doc,
well, I'm from NY, not NJ. I grew up in westchester co. NY on the NY/CT border(Port Chester,NY). That is where I keep my boat. I now live in the catskills. I really wanted to get to your last get together, but the fall is a busy time for me( I have 2 full time taxidermy shops.)Maybe in the spring.I do spend alot of time in jersey duck hunting, as my best friend lives in Clifton. I am also one of the founding members of the Garden State Taxidermy Assoc.
Thank you for the compliments on my flies.
Mike

Doc Duprey
12-18-2002, 05:49 PM
Mike,

My bad for missing the locaton ounder your Avatar. Sorry 'bout that...too many hours at work, too few fishing.

Anyway, I really like the flies, and appreciate the recipes/instructional material. Your step=by-step is great for those who have not had the chance to see one of these flatwings tied before. There are a few tricks and you illustrate them well.

Please keep up the good work. We will be planning the Second Joisey Mini-Clave and Flatwing Spring Fling in the next few weeks. You will certainly be "on the list" (all welcome, of course!). BTW: Where in the Catskills? I love to fish for trout up there. Even with the crowds, there are still lovely, secluded spots, and it's only 2 hrs from home to Livingston Manor!

Best regards and Happy Holidays (to all!!!)

-Doc

boarmountain
12-18-2002, 06:00 PM
I live in liberty about ten minutes from Livingstin Manor. I fish quite often on the neversink. If your up here LMK and we'll get together to fish.

striblue
12-18-2002, 09:22 PM
Mike, don't forget that if you ever get down to Chatham....we should fish together....and trade some flies....and don't forget those flatwings.

RayStachelek
12-18-2002, 09:29 PM
Striblue

K A would never let you trade natural materials for sythethics.

Boarmountain wouldn't get passed the R I borders. :tsk_tsk:

striblue
12-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Good Point Ray..but I was thinking of my crab and other two flys..basically all natural except for the epoxy and foam. Now....Hmmm.... If I could only think of a flat wing crab.... I will confess that I am working on a different flatwing shrimp than KA's....P.S. Nice talking with you the other day.

Adrian
12-19-2002, 08:31 AM
John I think you're already there - well almost.

If your crab apple didn't have the epoxy shell I think it would qualify as a flatwing - although not perhaps the style we usually associate with the title. Lots of room to experiment I think - remember the splash factor discussion ;)

Kenney's shrimp patterns are based on a variation of the General Practitioner - an old atlantic salmon pattern which also uses a golden pheasant body feather tied in flat to form the carapace.

saltydog
12-20-2002, 03:16 PM
Boarmountain, DINOMITE! :smokin: latwing Ill take a DOZ.
keep up the tyin looking forward to some more.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin: