Feather Brain Surf Candy [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Feather Brain Surf Candy

striblue
12-15-2002, 01:32 PM
This is my first attempt and I like the way it comes out..the top view in the next picture seems just right..This type of fly will be my surf candy entry in the fly swap... not sure about the top yet for that one.

striblue
12-15-2002, 01:33 PM
Top view:

Quentin
12-15-2002, 03:47 PM
Profiles look great! I'd like to see what it looks like hanging in the current! Gee, maybe I'll even get a chance to test it for myself (hint, hint) :hehe:

Q

Slinger
12-15-2002, 06:22 PM
I don`t care what it takes, I`ve got to get one of these to see if I can do them myself. These feather brains could be your ticket to fly tying fame.
Slinger

Slinger
12-15-2002, 06:26 PM
John, how long do they take and are they very difficult for the average tier? When can we see you tie some so we can get a lesson?
Slinger

striblue
12-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Steve, I am an average tyer so anybody can do these...once you get the hang of it and the sequences. The surf candy head needs improvement ...I am working on this plus I have changed the weighting on the flounder fly so it sits flat and does not sway up like the earlie ones..I will also change the weighting on the Crab so it sits flat and not sitting up on its behind. The slow part is taking the time to pin drop goop to set the head feathers... the lack of a nose tie down gives you the natural feather bend... Who said you have to tie everything down, especially when you can use epoxy... I will show you this at the show.

Joshr
12-15-2002, 10:23 PM
John--

How many white neck feathers do you have on each side for this one?

And I assume you have a narrow spreader structure underneath that's made of bucktail?

I love this fly, and unlike many of your crustacean creations, this one I have a feeling I can tie!

--JHR

striblue
12-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Joshr, first welcome to this forum... second I only use one white hackle for each side then one on the to..sort of high tie but still keep the side profile....This is what is good about saddle hackles.. The fly is so small that I did this first one without a spreader...but still did the goop thing to get those top hackles in the place I wanted before the epoxy application. I will try one with a Very small spreader just to see how the head looks...it probably will come out more bullet shaped than pointed as this one did... not sure if the pointed head or bullet is appropriate for this bait fish shape but it maybe that I keep the pointed since the fish is so small.

Joshr
12-15-2002, 11:07 PM
I'd love to see a photo of one of your featherbrains in mid-tie with the spreader exposed before you attach the outside feathers...have never used a corsair spreader to create a kind of skeletal structure like that....am interested in trying some.

--Josh

striblue
12-15-2002, 11:15 PM
I will show you tomorrow....The spreader is the key here because even if you don't need it on very small flies like a surf candy..it really cannot be done on larger flies without the spreader.. I will be doing some with a large spreader at some point... the ones I have used on these flies was a medium corsair. The natural bend in the hackle supports the outcome..something you really cannot do with a tied down eye..it can be done except you end up with a nose tie that sticks out like a sore thumb...and with out epoxy to secure the hackle you will have that fouling problem and a deceiver that looks like a squid in mid strip.

John Desjardins
12-16-2002, 08:55 AM
Once again youve put up another great looking creation John.

Originally posted by striblue
Who said you have to tie everything down

John your in good company with that comment. The latest issue of Flytier has an article on Lee Wulff's last fly. He attached feathers to the body (molded plastic) by dipping them in solvent to stick to the body.

FishHawk
12-17-2002, 04:57 AM
Great idea . The combinations of top feathers will provide some great looking flies. Nice job. FishHawk. :smokin: