Seeking Fly Donations for Fundraiser Raffles [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Seeking Fly Donations for Fundraiser Raffles

Quentin
12-13-2002, 11:38 AM
The Forum will be holding raffles at the various fly fishing shows, beginning with the Marlboro show (January 17 - 19), in order to raise funds to help pay for subsequent shows and the server upgrade.

One of the raffle ideas is to raffle off a box (or boxes) of "go to" flies tied by Forum members. When I say "go to" fly, I mean the first fly that you would tie on when you hit the water. Of course, this usually depends on the fishing conditions and type of fish you are trying to catch, so it would be important to include that information with the fly. If many different members each submit one or two flies, the result would be an incredible assortment of flies, with each fly being somebody's "go to" fly for a given condition. If enough flies are received we will sort them into categories for saltwater, trout, salmon, warmwater, etc., so that we can hold a raffle for each category.

So . . . Here's what I'm looking for: One or two "go to" flies (or more, if you wish) with the name of the fly, the type of fish or general category that the fly is for, and the conditions in which you would fish the fly (e.g., springtime high water, deep water, fast current, flats, night time, etc.). This information will be included with the flies. If you wish, you may include your Forum username so that the winner can let you know about their success with your fly.

If you would like to donate a fly, please respond here or by PM or email and I will send you my address.

Thanks!

Q

juro
12-13-2002, 11:42 AM
Quentin -

I certainly appreciate your energetic response! I wonder though if it might be easier for us to find someone in Seattle to take the job of fly raffle coordinator for the PNW show?

If you are willing, I am shuttin' up - but it seems to me we are asking a lot with just the Marlboro show.

Plus that person could pick the winning tickets on location out there as well.

Your thoughts?

striblue
12-13-2002, 11:46 AM
...... also don't forget... I woill have a display case or we can put them in a box...all the sand candies we did and are doing for the first in the series of fly swaps... One fly from each participant will be included so we can raffle them off as a group.

sinktip
12-13-2002, 12:49 PM
I am happy to take the lead on getting these together for the Seattle show at least on the Steelhead side. We might want someone like Leland to be the lead on the saltwater side and also a trout collection seems doable.

I think I can also get some patterns from some of the old timers who don't frequent the site but are supportive of the work the site has done for the WSC.

Along these lines, I was talking with the president of the Steelhead Society of B.C. a couple weeks back and he mentioned they had pulled together one fly from all the Thompson regulars and put them together for a raffle. The intersting thing was the range of size and styles that people considered their go to pattern for this one river.

Let me know what you think.

juro
12-13-2002, 01:24 PM
That would be awesome sinktip! Thanks. Quentin, thanks again for taking charge of the east coast fly raffle.

fredaevans
12-13-2002, 02:23 PM
let us know name and address. I'll shoot off a few of my goodies.
Fred

pmflyfisher
12-13-2002, 02:36 PM
Heck the Seattle show is in February or March right ?

I can send some of my PNW patterns I have been using out here, got lots of them.

Let me know the what, when, who and where, etc...

Quentin
12-13-2002, 02:51 PM
:hehe:

I'm only planning to do the raffle for the Marlboro show, but I thought I'd solicit donations from across the board since the proceeds will benefit everyone. If the PNW members (and other salmon/steelhead anglers) would like to submit flies for the Marlboro raffles they will be graciously accepted.

Q

Quentin
12-13-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sinktip
Along these lines, I was talking with the president of the Steelhead Society of B.C. a couple weeks back and he mentioned they had pulled together one fly from all the Thompson regulars and put them together for a raffle. The intersting thing was the range of size and styles that people considered their go to pattern for this one river.

That's exactly what I am shooting for on the east coast raffle! I know I'd shell out a few bucks for a chance at a box of everyone's go to pattern!

Q

pmflyfisher
01-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Hi Q,

Finishing up my go to fly for the Marlboro show. They will be out to you in the mail either friday or saturday so you should have them by next Tuesday at the latest.

Its a a fresh water trout, salmon, steelhead, small mouth bass dual hexagenia limbata nymph and mysis shrimp pattern that we can be used any wheres these species are present. Heck, in a larger size it can even be taken for a craw fish.

Most days I will start with this and end up coming back to it during the day. It has always been a fish producer. Yep even carp a couple of times in smaller sizes. ;)

Its a keeper !

Best

Hal

PM Out

striblue
01-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the cotribution Hal. Let me know at some point if you would need any Saltwater flies for anything you guys might be doing out thin your local.. Also, on a more serious note, You win my famous and effective pocket fishfinder which shall be sent...with instructions.... it will have the new camo design so other fisherman will not know of your advantige:cool:

pmflyfisher
01-01-2003, 02:19 PM
John, could use a pocket fish finder,t as our fall steelhead and salmon runs were supposedly the worse in a decade or more here. Anything to help find the fish. We are looking forward to strong spring runs otherwise I will be converting to carp fly fishing. :D

Have a good new year and Marlborough show.

Best

Hal