Well, I think I can skip the trip to fish the Chetco this weekend. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Well, I think I can skip the trip to fish the Chetco this weekend.

fredaevans
12-12-2002, 12:34 PM
MAJOR storm to hit the coast this afternoon. Winds gusting to as high as 85 mph. 2 or more inchs of rain and 5-10 inches of snow above 5,000 feet.

I suspect you'd have to be using chain for a fly line to get a cast through that mess!
:(

pmflyfisher
12-12-2002, 01:43 PM
And you laugh at our GLs winter conditions, we never get anything like this.:D

Lets see 85 MPH at my back how far could I spey cast ? :whoa:

PM Out

fredaevans
12-12-2002, 03:12 PM
http://www.wunderground.com/US/OR/Brookings.html

Actually, if you don't want to fish watching the storms move through this area (not often but corkers when they do) from your hotel room window is a gas. Other than you can get a drifting log through the window! Happened to a ground floor unit a few doors down from us a couple of years ago.
fae

Good question Hal; suspect ... with the wind at my back and the 18 foot B and W ... i could out cast Steve Choate.:D

pmflyfisher
12-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Does not look good, plan on staying in and starting on your hair wing salmon/steelhead fly swap ties this weekend and your christmas shopping.

Cphatts
12-14-2002, 01:36 PM
Actually it is pretty rare here to have days where the weather is too uncomfortable to fish. Perhaps sometimes right on the coast, the wind can be brutal, but one can simply drive a short distance to avoid it. The bigger problem here in the winter is river levels. With all the rain, the rivers can look like your morning latte! It's something to consider for folks who are planning a trip here in the winter......you just never know what condition the rivers will be in.