Anyone a member of RFA? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anyone a member of RFA?

Dble Haul
12-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Is anyone here a member of the Recreational Fishing Alliance?

If so, what are your thoughts on the organization? I've seen some of their newsletters so I have a general idea what they're about, but if anybody has any insight I'd love to hear it.

I'm not looking to join.....I'm just curious about their mission and reputation.

Thanks.

Mattb
12-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Dble Haul, I'm not a member, but I know the RFA angered a lot of guys this fall when they came out in favor of maintaining the status quo with Ammendment 6. Their basic position seemed to be that things weren't so bad, and that the average joe wanted to be able to keep fish, so they wouldn't support lowering target F.

There was a lot of discussion on the board at www.stripersonline.com about it around the time of the public ASMFC meetings, and it seemed to me like the RFA may have been a little underhanded in how they went about things.

-Matt

GregD
01-01-2003, 07:00 PM
I have been an RFA memeber for a couple of years. I think there mission is to provide a voice for recreational fisherman. Although they don't strike me as particularly conservation minded to the same degree as CCA.
They do make an effort to correct inequities within fisheries management as they see it. I have found some of their research and conclusions lacking, however to their credit I have read some excellent rebuttals to some of their positions in their own newsletter from the fisheries folks for example.

Like any political organization their position on some issues doesn't always match ones ideals, perhaps due in part to bad data and misinformation or a difference in opinion. Anyone can come to the wrong conclusions with incomplete and/or erroneous data.

They tackle issues involving offshore species and international regulations as well as coastal ones within the US.

I am glad to be informed about the issues you would never hear about otherwise and it is a group that for the most part shares our concern toward recreational fishing interests.

Happy Holidays,
Greg